• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Poll: Where are you guys from?

Where are you from/located?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This is complicated. I was born in Buenos Aires. My dad was born in Wilno, then Poland now Vilnius, Lithuania. The family name is Lithuanian but he called himself a Pole. Mom was born in BA too. Both her parents were English. She lives in Salamander Bay, Australia. I lived in Philadelphia, New Jersey and now the Santa Monica Mountains in Southern California.
Thus, I am a true mutt.
Talking of mutts, I've mostly lived in England but was born in Wales. My parents were both from Trieste, Italy, but my father was half Italian, half new Zealander. The New Zealander part was actually mostly Italian, with a large part Austrian, part French and with a bit of Irish in there somewhere.

I've always described myself as a product of the European Community.

Not surprisingly, I voted we stayed in!

S.

dasdoing

Major Contributor
This is complicated. I was born in Buenos Aires. My dad was born in Wilno, then Poland now Vilnius, Lithuania. The family name is Lithuanian but he called himself a Pole. Mom was born in BA too. Both her parents were English. She lives in Salamander Bay, Australia. I lived in Philadelphia, New Jersey and now the Santa Monica Mountains in Southern California.
Thus, I am a true mutt.

what do you say when they ask what you are?
I am mixed af too, and could only solve the identity confusion in my head by saying to myself I am unique

Willem

Major Contributor
Even though sadly there is now quite a strong anti immigrant sentiment in the Netherlands the Netherlands have historically been a country of immigrants. In the seventeenth century but already before it was tbe most urbanized country in the world, and that entailed a frighteningly high urban mortality due to lack of sanitation, high population density and elevated levels of travel and international trade. Therefore urban populations could only be maintained by large scale immigration, particularly from Germany but also from the south. We are a nation of immigrants, in spite of the nationalistic rhetoric.

Katji

Major Contributor
Good. When I saw it in RSS feed, I thought it was a new post. :) More interesting than how many Likes etc.
I'd like to see it broken down more, like western/eastern Europe...and Asia...

...Regarding what Willem and others have said, it reminds me of what a friend of friend once said on Fb (long ago, and I always remember it) - that DNA research would change the way that history is understood, that history is more about migration and mixing, not just about dates of war battles and states and so on.

It is one of the good things about social media. I have not been on Fb in the last 2-3 years, instead I go to VK a few times a week...and Reddit, where I see pics of Russia, especially.

Last edited:

Katji

Major Contributor
As all polls out there, voting is of course, optional.

There's nothing wrong here. Obviously, ASR has now about 12,000 members, but only hundreds of them are truly active and post often. As far as I know, the vast majority of most active members have already voted here.
I hope so. All it needs is to bumped up sometimes.

And [response to your photos of Prague] - There are several threads for photos, but I really like to see photos of people's neighbourhoods or cities...just an interest I have, I suppose.

Katji

Major Contributor
[...] - There are several threads for photos, but I really like to see photos of people's neighbourhoods or cities...just an interest I have, I suppose.

So, view from my hide-out today 18:29. Cool 27°. :)

20210111_182926_PP.jpg

Katji

Major Contributor
oh my goodness! :) That's cold. But it looks very covid-free. (I was thinking about that earlier - time to check now...)

...PS: More than I would've guessed. Approx. 7% of pop. infected, total/overall.

Last edited:

StefaanE

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
oh my goodness! :) That's cold. But it looks very covid-free. (I was thinking about that earlier - time to check now...)

...PS: More than I would've guessed. Approx. 7% of pop. infected, total/overall.
I guess we’re doing OK, but my son-in-law who is an E.M.T., and my daughter who is a nurse tell me that the situation in the hospitals is very difficult. Staff is overworked and there are not always enough intensive care beds. Luxembourg has lots of cross-border workers and hence we’re quite exposed. How are you coping with that new strain?

Katji

Major Contributor
I'm afraid. Age+respiratory. I hadn't thought much about variants/mutating, but this mutation that makes it more infectious was bad news. And now flights stopped again, just when it seemed I would go to Israel to get vaccination.
...The son-in-law and daughter, that's cause for concern too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom