• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Poll: Where are you guys from?

Where are you from/located?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

vicenzo_del_paris

Forum Donor
Lorient, South Brittany, France !
We host a world wide celtic festival and famous racing boat manufacturers:)

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Combo of in-floor heating cables and panel ovens on ground floor, and panel ovens on first floor. Well insulated house built in 2000 just after new building regulations came into power means that I can make do with 3x2000w for entire first floor of 100sqm. Norway has cheap-ish electricity from hydropower, so reasonably economical way of heating. And a woodburning fireplace that is great when a bit chilly, like later today when it`s supposed to be -9° :D
Curious, what is your monthly electricity bill during the winter?

mags65

Forum Donor
Curious, what is your monthly electricity bill during the winter?
January is peak cold and this year was NOK 4300, or around USD 400. Note that the price of electricity increased som 8-10x over normal the last 6-18 months (some periods as high as NOK 10/kWh), so that includes a state sponsored rebate. On average the last years the January bill has been around NOK 2000-3000, or USD 190-280.

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
By the way, where is Oceania?
I'll get a little more specific than Ryanosaur, having lived in that area (the Northern Marianas Islands) for around 17 years :
Top Questions

What does Oceania refer to?​

What is the land area of Oceania?​

How many regions is Oceania divided into?​

Oceania
Oceania
Oceania, collective name for the islands scattered throughout most of the Pacific Ocean. The term, in its widest sense, embraces the entire insular region between Asia and the Americas. A more common definition excludes the Ryukyu, Kuril, and Aleutian islands and the Japan archipelago. The most popular usage delimits Oceania further by eliminating Indonesia, Taiwan, and the Philippines, because the peoples and cultures of those islands are more closely related historically to the Asian mainland. Oceania then, in its most restricted meaning, includes more than 10,000 islands, with a total land area (excluding Australia, but including Papua New Guinea and New Zealand) of approximately 317,700 square miles (822,800 square km).

Oceania
Oceania
Oceania is traditionally divided into four parts: Australasia, Micronesia, Melanesia, and Polynesia.(more)
Oceania has traditionally been divided into four parts: Australasia (Australia and New Zealand), Melanesia, Micronesia, and Polynesia. As recently as 33,000 years ago no human beings lived in the region, except in Australasia. Although disagreeing on details, scientists generally support a theory that calls for a Southeast Asian origin of island peoples. By 2000 about 12 million islanders lived in Oceania (excluding Australia), and many indigenous cultures were revolutionized by intensive contact with non-Oceanic groups who had intruded from various parts of the Western world. (The arts of the region are discussed in several articles; see art and architecture, Oceanic; music and dance, Oceanic; and Oceanic literature.) Pop. (2001 est.) including Australia, 31,377,000.

Svet Angelov

Dutchies love their Hifi - that's what I've gathered from scouring facebook groups, 2nd hand marketplace websites and this forum right here :) I was born and raised in Bulgaria but now live in Deventer, Netherlands.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

mags65

Forum Donor
Ah, so it's simply a small narrow electric heater?
Thanks, I just never heard the term before.
A ubiqutous feature here in Norway, they come in many sizes and wattages. Most modern ones have wifi integrated, for heat planning or serious smarthome integration.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
A ubiqutous feature here in Norway, they come in many sizes and wattages. Most modern ones have wifi integrated, for heat planning or serious smarthome integration.
Thanks again. Electric heat isn't very popular in the US due to it's high cost in comparison to options like natural or lp gas, fuel oil, wood, etc.

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks again. Electric heat isn't very popular in the US due to it's high cost in comparison to options like natural or lp gas, fuel oil, wood, etc.
When my father (He owned small, family Plumbing, Heating & AC company) built our house in 1964 he built in base board radiant heat (from hot water, surrounding each room with pipes at the base board level that have fins & a cover which directs the air via convection, from the floor, across the fins & out into the rooms. the only thing electric about this for both floors)& a boiler (which today runs on natural gas) and a small circulation pump.
No blowing fans, the temperature is very homogenized, is very even no matter where you stand & is extremely efficient.
The AC system (a 100% separate system pushes air across the ceiling from vents in top pf the wall or the edges of the ceiling, causing it to homogenize very well when it hits the other side & is ricocheting back & downward, making for a very nice, quieter & not blowing hard, efficient AC system.
Only in Europe have I seen systems that were as quiet, innocuous & efficient (and that has only been in modern times.
In 1965 (when our home was finished, that was most, quiet & non blowing system that I had ever seen.
From 1959- 1999, I made 9 extended trips to Europe with my mother, as I was only 2 in 1959: (France, Belgium, Germany, Austria [Salzburg, my & my mother's birth place, staying with my grandparents], Italy, the Former Yugoslavia and other places in Europe), so, being the son of a contractor, I observed Europe's evolution of these system's builds.
Graz, Austria is where I got my first taste of higher end Audio. From a family friend that lived there but had lived in Charleston, SC (where he & his wife were friends of my family & sometimes "baby" sat me before they moved back to Austria.
I was born along the mountains of Austria & raised more along the creeks & rivers of the Low Country of South Carolina, but also raised for large parts of my life every few years, in Austria.
And now I am married to a fellow traveling women, whom I met in Saipan, (Oceana). She is not originally from there, Europe or North America
The fact that I speak English & German did not help me with her at all.
It must be that I am just a charming Southern Gentleman that was born in Austria, which my trips home to my born land rubbed of on me & made me even more charming.
Just don't ask her about that, because she will gently tell you that is a pant load.

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Last edited:

Noske

Are you able to provide an estimate of the cost of electricity per kwh?

In Australia it varies anywhere between about 20 and 30 AUD cents per kWh. So, just for purposes of getting the maths right, if you use a modest 10 kWh a day, that is perhaps 3 dollars.

Naturally, supply charges are on top of that and do not vary with consumption - about a dollar a day.

KeesW2560

I am Dutch, born and raised in the centre of Holland, near the IJsselmeer lake. I still live there. Forests and big lake nearby, what more do you want.

Last edited:

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am Dutch, born and raised in the centre of Holland, near the IJsselmeer lake. I still live there. Forests and big lake nearby, what more do you want.
Welkom Kees.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Are you able to provide an estimate of the cost of electricity per kwh?

In Australia it varies anywhere between about 20 and 30 AUD cents per kWh. So, just for purposes of getting the maths right, if you use a modest 10 kWh a day, that is perhaps 3 dollars.

Naturally, supply charges are on top of that and do not vary with consumption - about a dollar a day.
Last month Oct 10 to Nov 8 (30 days) I used 528kWh's for a total cost of 104.21
A very lite usage month for heat or AC here in Central Fl
Of course there are taxes, services fees and all the rest in that, I can't seem to find a breakdown right now.

Noske

Last month Oct 10 to Nov 8 (30 days) I used 528kWh's for a total cost of 104.21
A very lite usage month for heat or AC here in Central Fl
Of course there are taxes, services fees and all the rest in that, I can't seem to find a breakdown right now.

Thankyou. Despite being tired, I can do some rough calculations. Just for fun, take off a buck a day for that stuff. $74 for 528 kWh usage.

Correct me if I am wrong, but that is about 7.13 14 cents per kWh. (edit - I got the reciprocal upside down.)

Now try 30 plus cents, from a country with some of the most abundant coal and uranium reserves on the planet.

My head shrinks.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom