• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Polk Reserve R350 Review (Center Speaker)

Rate this speaker:

• Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 122 52.4%
  • Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 98 42.1%
  • Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 11 4.7%
  • Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 2 0.9%

• Total voters

Tks

Major Contributor
You are barring one of the most important reason tough. R&D is expensive. I am speculating here but there may be some patented elements in the best performing ones. Also major speaker manufacturers may take a real hit on prestige if they start using OEM drivers and there is an increase in cost in doing so too, and that's IF those who have the tech are even willing to go OEM, that's not necessarily smart. Kef have had some form of Coax for decades, this has not been universally recognised that speakers using coax are necessarily better every time. Lastly, it's not factual that superior tech always win and less performing ones dies. There are plenty of counter examples, market adoption is not as simple as that.
So it's "too expensive" is the excuse? Also I'm not sure why prestige would take a hit if you make a better performing product. As for not being universally recognized, sure I suppose there are blind entities that can't recognize it - unless you mean to say Genelec is able to create a design in coaxial (which is more difficult due to higher R&D costs as you claimed) which performs better than the classical two way design (which would be cheaper and easier since it's been the mainstay method for ages, thus should have been far easier to achieve better performance if we accept the notion of those who say that coaxial isn't better every time as a true statement when all else is held equal).

Also, you say it's not the case that superior tech "always wins". This doesn't make sense. If you mean "always wins" from a performance sperspective, then you are contradicting yourself. If you mean to say "always wins" by way of winning out in the market with consumers and sellers - that makes sense, but that's what my post was actually asking about.. Precisely what's the hold up of adopting this approach to speaker design? If it's simply a money thing, there are far more companies that make more money than Genelec does who can afford the R&D. If it's not a money thing - then what is it? Prestige you postulated prior, but that sort of excuse only flies for boutique companies. And to be frank, they don't need to use OEM coaxial drivers - there's companies out there with the money to bankroll their own custom design.

Lastly, you say there are counter examples. Where are the better performing counter examples against Gelenec's coaxial designs? Surly you're not talking about SPL output or some sort of metric like that? I was more looking to things like directivity, and in-room response for the same category of speaker. I can't find such counter example where a tradition 2-way beats Genelec's top tier.

PeteL

Major Contributor
So it's "too expensive" is the excuse? Also I'm not sure why prestige would take a hit if you make a better performing product. As for not being universally recognized, sure I suppose there are blind entities that can't recognize it - unless you mean to say Genelec is able to create a design in coaxial (which is more difficult due to higher R&D costs as you claimed) which performs better than the classical two way design (which would be cheaper and easier since it's been the mainstay method for ages, thus should have been far easier to achieve better performance if we accept the notion of those who say that coaxial isn't better every time as a true statement when all else is held equal).

Also, you say it's not the case that superior tech "always wins". This doesn't make sense. If you mean "always wins" from a performance sperspective, then you are contradicting yourself. If you mean to say "always wins" by way of winning out in the market with consumers and sellers - that makes sense, but that's what my post was actually asking about.. Precisely what's the hold up of adopting this approach to speaker design? If it's simply a money thing, there are far more companies that make more money than Genelec does who can afford the R&D. If it's not a money thing - then what is it? Prestige you postulated prior, but that sort of excuse only flies for boutique companies. And to be frank, they don't need to use OEM coaxial drivers - there's companies out there with the money to bankroll their own custom design.

Lastly, you say there are counter examples. Where are the better performing counter examples against Gelenec's coaxial designs? Surly you're not talking about SPL output or some sort of metric like that? I was more looking to things like directivity, and in-room response for the same category of speaker. I can't find such counter example where a tradition 2-way beats Genelec's top tier.
You missed my point.

By less prestige i mean that a speaker takes pride in making their own driver and not being just assembler and cross-over designer. That's all. I meant that major companies if their own R&D is not ready on this will not go necessarily go OEM. The brand value may take a hit. I am not talking boutique Brands, I am talking major brands. They are the ones that determine where the market go. Boutique Brands will actually go for outsourced drivers, they don't care about that, but the point is, is there even good performing OEM coax drivers out there?

Yes, too expensive is a totally valid excuse. What works in Genelec pricing structure and level of R&D commitment may not work for other.

Counter examples, I was referring to the sentence right before it, Beta was a superior technology that VHS, BETA disappeared, that's what I meant by examples where the superior technology don't always win. And it's assuming that coax is superior in all aspects, we are not fully sure of that.

Ultimately. It's the consumer that decides. If one day it's demonstrated that Coax is so clearly superior that nobody buy speakers without em, everybody will offer them, but we're not there.

Last edited:

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Can you explain your comment?

After commenting to you, I looked back and truly do not think I understand what you are saying or more importantly "Why"?

Are you assuming that all Polk Centers are designed and measure the same, as the one just tested here in the forum?

The Polk center I own is from about 2004 and is not really an MTM design, but a 2.5 design.
At crossover range polar diagram lopes. If the tweeter is above or below the LF driver than the lop is in vertical. If it is on the right or left of the LF driver than the lope is horisontal.

beagleman

Major Contributor
At crossover range polar diagram lopes. If the tweeter is above or below the LF driver than the lop is in vertical. If it is on the right or left of the LF driver than the lope is horisontal.

I thought the issue, was being an MTM design.

Hayabusa

Addicted to Fun and Learning

@amirm About the 'massive' narrowing:

Don't you think that such directivity plots in case of a sort of line array speakers and radius of 10 meters give a too pessimistic view on directivity?

The plot would look much beter when taking a typical listening distance as radius. (lets say 3 meters?)

testp

Yikes! The horizontal beamwidth is like creating a knife that only cuts if it's held exactly perpendicular to the cutting surface; more than 10° off and it's like cutting with chopsticks.
That's safety alright...

D

Deleted member 28042

Chya, although if you have your TV a bit higher then I guess you put the speaker underneath.....but you can't have the speaker obscure the TV, so for a vertically oriented 2-way then you have to have good enough vertical directivity to enable it to slot in underneath your TV whilst still being in the sweet spot for both audio & TV vertical viewing angles.....I still think it's possible, but you'd have to have your speaker right underneath your TV and be further enough away from the TV - ultimately therefore it would depend on the size of your TV and how far away you were willing to sit (and how you have your TV tilted to some extent, if it's a bit higher than eye level then you'd tilt it down......but neck ache, ways & means).
When I had a 5.1 channel system in the living room, I had to place the center channel below the TV. I found Sorbothane footers from Pangea that, when place along the front edge of the speaker, tilted it upwards and improved the intelligibility of dialogue and sound overall. These can be purchased at Audio Advisor and probably other internet retailers.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
When I had a 5.1 channel system in the living room, I had to place the center channel below the TV. I found Sorbothane footers from Pangea that, when place along the front edge of the speaker, tilted it upwards and improved the intelligibility of dialogue and sound overall. These can be purchased at Audio Advisor and probably other internet retailers.
I see what you mean, good idea.

DualTriode

Addicted to Fun and Learning
@amirm ,

If the Fire Hose Panther is auditioning for a job, he does not appear to be too bright.

He looks like he is about to be the One Eye Panther looking down the nozzle of the fire hose.

Thanks DT

testp

@amirm ,

If the Fire Hose Panther is auditioning for a job, he does not appear to be too bright.

He looks like he is about to be the One Eye Panther looking down the nozzle of the fire hose.

Thanks DT
i thought it was an old panther with a stick..

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
@amirm ,

Thanks DT
Maybe he is very smart and knows there is no water/pressure at the other end.....

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
^^^ That empty water bottle in the front of the frame near the end of the video really makes the whole clip for me. :)

Water is amazing stuff in oh-so-many ways. As a biochemist, I have a particular respect and admiration for its peculiar properties -- including its essentially incompressible nature.
As a not entirely (but almost) irrelevant* aside, I concocted and delivered a sermon (summer vacation fill-in) on water at our chuch a coupla years ago. :rolleyes:
"The theology -- and biophysical chemistry -- of water"

Tks

Major Contributor
You missed my point.

By less prestige i mean that a speaker takes pride in making their own driver and not being just assembler and cross-over designer. That's all. I meant that major companies if their own R&D is not ready on this will not go necessarily go OEM. The brand value may take a hit. I am not talking boutique Brands, I am talking major brands. They are the ones that determine where the market go. Boutique Brands will actually go for outsourced drivers, they don't care about that, but the point is, is there even good performing OEM coax drivers out there?

Yes, too expensive is a totally valid excuse. What works in Genelec pricing structure and level of R&D commitment may not work for other.

Counter examples, I was referring to the sentence right before it, Beta was a superior technology that VHS, BETA disappeared, that's what I meant by examples where the superior technology don't always win. And it's assuming that coax is superior in all aspects, we are not fully sure of that.

Ultimately. It's the consumer that decides. If one day it's demonstrated that Coax is so clearly superior that nobody buy speakers without em, everybody will offer them, but we're not there.

I may have missed it.

You explained prestige is in reference to major brands. But this is precisely the people I imagine have least of an issue with R&D costs.. So I'm not sure how it makes sense that they can't get it done, but smaller brands can? You say what works for Genelec, may not work for bigger brands. That's the part I can't compute. How could this even make sense?

As for counter examples, there's no need for a counter example because I was asking are you talking about "superior" from a sales perspective, or are you talking about superior from a performance perspective. I am aware that garbage can be sold and made to win in the market. But there's no way something inferior can be made to perform better that has been proven to be superior. Also Coax doesn't need to be superior in all aspects, in the same way multi drivers don't need to be inferior in all respects for them to fail as the inverse...

You conclude saying ultimately consumers decide. That's fine, but that isn't the answer I was looking for because that's not the question I'm asking. Also consumers don't decide, in the same way no consumer for instance today desires unservicable smart phones, yet virtually every market offering is only offering in a package that can't be serviced for the most part. Companies actually decide these things, the whole "demand drives choice" is meme tier silliness, seeing as how demand is manufactured by the top players of any sector of market. And because of that, I am wonder what the actual holdup is? Is it a VHS Betamax ordeal where the big players simply have a gentlemen's agreement not to bother with going in that direction? I would imagine feelers would have been out by now - Genelec has at least demonstrated they're on to something worth going for (if someone of their size is able to pursuit and deliver best in class performance when all metrics are averaged at the end of the day into one package).

PeteL

Major Contributor
I may have missed it.

You explained prestige is in reference to major brands. But this is precisely the people I imagine have least of an issue with R&D costs.. So I'm not sure how it makes sense that they can't get it done, but smaller brands can? You say what works for Genelec, may not work for bigger brands. That's the part I can't compute. How could this even make sense?

As for counter examples, there's no need for a counter example because I was asking are you talking about "superior" from a sales perspective, or are you talking about superior from a performance perspective. I am aware that garbage can be sold and made to win in the market. But there's no way something inferior can be made to perform better that has been proven to be superior. Also Coax doesn't need to be superior in all aspects, in the same way multi drivers don't need to be inferior in all respects for them to fail as the inverse...

You conclude saying ultimately consumers decide. That's fine, but that isn't the answer I was looking for because that's not the question I'm asking. Also consumers don't decide, in the same way no consumer for instance today desires unservicable smart phones, yet virtually every market offering is only offering in a package that can't be serviced for the most part. Companies actually decide these things, the whole "demand drives choice" is meme tier silliness, seeing as how demand is manufactured by the top players of any sector of market. And because of that, I am wonder what the actual holdup is? Is it a VHS Betamax ordeal where the big players simply have a gentlemen's agreement not to bother with going in that direction? I would imagine feelers would have been out by now - Genelec has at least demonstrated they're on to something worth going for (if someone of their size is able to pursuit and deliver best in class performance when all metrics are averaged at the end of the day into one package).
I am not sure what is the debate sorry. You said: "in the case of virtually every other instance of industry - whenever a newer more superior standard arises, the old one is slowly phased out entirely eventually". I am saying There are counter exemples, I am not sure you keep asking, I was talking technically superior standards don't always cause the inferior ones to phase out, I think it's quite easy to understand what I am talking about, Beta didn't phase out VHS, High res didn't phase out CD quality content. I believe my point is quite easy to understand, if I return the question, What where YOU talking about, and why you are picking repeatedly on such a simple obvious fact that there are counter exemples?

In my book, Genelec is a major brand, Kef is certainly a major brand. You are mixing up stuff I said. Most major brands design their own drivers, some may have different business models when it comes to margins, when it comes to the scope of products they want to offer, when it comes to the share of their budget dedicated to R&D, when it comes to volume needed to break even. I am saying that yes it takes a major brand, not a boutique brand, to put the money and effort to make a Coax that perform better than what is their bread and butter and that they know how to execute very well, that's all, what works for one don't necessarily need to work for all. You where asking about why we don't see more from other manufacturers since the concept appears to be proven, but it's not the same thing as proving that Manufacturer X speakers would be better if they start doing them. Those are not obscure concepts, not sure what you are disagreeing on to be honest. I was genuinely trying to give you my take on your question which in its simplified form is: Why don't we see more of em?

Last edited:

Tks

Major Contributor
I am not sure what is the debate sorry. You said: "in the case of virtually every other instance of industry - whenever a newer more superior standard arises, the old one is slowly phased out entirely eventually". I am saying There are counter exemples, I am not sure you keep asking, I was talking technically superior standards don't always cause the inferior ones to phase out, I think it's quite easy to understand what I am talking about, Beta didn't phase out VHS, High res didn't phase out CD quality content. I believe my point is quite easy to understand, if I return the question, What where YOU talking about, and why you are picking repeatedly on such a simple obvious fact that there are counter exemples?

In my book, Genelec is a major brand, Kef is certainly a major brand. You are mixing up stuff I said. Most major brands design their own drivers, some may have different business models when it comes to margins, when it comes to the scope of products they want to offer, when it comes to the share of their budget dedicated to R&D, when it comes to volume needed to break even. I am saying that yes it takes a major brand, not a boutique brand, to put the money and effort to make a Coax that perform better than what is their bread and butter and that they know how to execute very well, that's all, what works for one don't necessarily need to work for all. You where asking about why we don't see more from other manufacturers since the concept appears to be proven, but it's not the same thing as proving that Manufacturer X speakers would be better if they start doing them. Those are not obscure concepts, not sure what you are disagreeing on to be honest. I was genuinely trying to give you my take on your question which in its simplified form is: Why don't we see more of em?

To the first paragraph, I've already agreed with that point you made after you qualified what thing you were referencing when you mentioned "superior". There is no debate about this.

Genelec isn't a "major brand", they don't really target their products to straight up everyday consumers, I can't for instance go and buy their speakers at Best Buy. Kef on the other hand, I can - they move far more units than Genelec... That's what I am referencing when I talk about dominant players, or the top players in an industry. So when you say I'm mixing something up, I'm really not, and any mixup that perhaps is happening, is due to ambiguities you're creating - I'm directly replying to precise points you're making, and anything that isn't clear I address with more than one interpretation based on the ambiguity left over.

Next, you say it takes a major brand to do something like the R&D required for coax designs. But Genelec's overall budget obviously pales in comparison to the top players. So again, while you may call Genelec and Kef both major brands (I don't care about a "brand" I was talking about a company, not sure there needs to be this discussion about branding, unless you also mean companies which I hope), Kef and Genelec aren't the same simply due to the scale of markets they address. In the same way JBL is also a "major brand", but you're not seriously going to sit here and tell me that there's no distinction between JBL and Genelec I hope.

Finally you make the claim about: "but it's not the same thing as proving that Manufacturer X speakers would be better if they start doing them. Those are not obscure concepts, not sure what you are disagreeing on to be honest." (again, the problem of ambiguity I always have to keep contending with like here when you say "better", do you mean market performance, or performance from technical perspectives? I will assume the latter).

So in the same way you think there is a debate going on, you also think there is a disagreement, when all there really is; is confusion about what it is you think you're giving an answer to. So I'll make it simple...

Why is it that coaxial designs aren't more prevalent in the industry, when the company like Genelec that takes a scientific approach to designing their products has demonstrated all of their speakers in their coaxial offerings, perform better in appreciable aspects than their non-coaxial versions of similar product family... You are disqualified from saying "R&D costs" because I already explained the simple matter of fact that bigger companies have far more money, thus this cannot be the primary reason they don't offer such products. I already understand "it's not proven", but I already addressed this as well when I said in my prior post, which you seem to have ignored for some reason: "Also Coax doesn't need to be superior in all aspects, in the same way multi drivers don't need to be inferior in all respects for them to fail as the inverse...".

I don't need to know who's the major brand or whatever it is you want to bring up about that. Fact of the matter remains, there are companies with far more money to spend than Genelec has. So I am wondering what precisely is their excuse for not having coaxial designs in a complete speaker package? Since all indicators point to benefits not easily possible with split driver designs, especially not in similar form factor.

So your answers about "it's not proven to be superior" (while true to an extent based on perspective, isn't really a satisfactory answer, since no industry stands still as a single company or two do all the rest of the heavy R&D lifting, unless we live in some communist driven world or something where competition doesn't exist. Nor is the answer "well it doesn't mean their coaxial designs will be better than their split designs". Again while true, it would be like saying "class D amps doesn't mean the amplifier won't use a lot of power compared to some Class AB designs" -- Sure, in the same way vertical directivity may not be better than some Revel TOTL split driver speaker, but you'd have to be quite incompetent to botch that when that is obviously one of the aspects where coaxial is clearly beneficial when compared to split drivers.

Here's what you answers amount to if taken in summary:

A large company X doesn't offer coaxial designs because even as one of the largest brands, it costs too much, and they're not sure if they can make a better performing product even if the design has been demonstrated to have better performance in certain aspects by another company on the market that does adopt such newer designs.

You're basically saying a large company that has money, can't somehow spend (or doesn't have the money to spend) on developing such design. And also because they aren't aware if they can produce a better performing product, they're not even going to try.

Sorry but that just seems like a silly thing to say about top players. If you for instance said something like: "They simply don't care to try new things, they'd rather sell the same old designs over and over since it makes them money they satisfied with", that would make more sense. But saying they're scared, and that they don't have enough money even though company X is one of the top players - that just rings as an odd claim to me personally. Could be true, not sure (and is why I ask from people here who may know better).

Top Bottom