• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Polishing CDs

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm coming out of the shadows and owning it - I still collect CDs. I have some compact discs that I've had for more than 30 years at this point, and some of them show signs of use and wear. What do you recommend to polish modestly scratched CDs to restore them to playability?

I saw that @restorer-john once commented about polishing CD cases (and I'm interested in that, too) but I could not find anything here about polishing CDs. I'm hoping that ASR contributors can steer me away from the snake oils that might be promoted on other sites. No - I'm not using green markers for anything!

scrubb

Forum Donor
A long, long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away I had a kit (maybe Alsop brand) that contained a rubber mat to hold the CD as well as an extremely fine grit abrasive polishing liquid and wiping rags. It restored some of my mishandled CDs enough to make them playable on the finicky 1988 Harmon Kardon player I owned at the time. Can't find anything like it on Amazon, so it probably doesn't exist anymore. But, perhaps you could find an appropriate liquid polishing abrasive. Not sure what the specs would be or even how they're measured.

OP
Angsty

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Probably not the answer you want, but why don't you rip them using programs that can detect (cdparanoia, EAC) or even repair errors (CUERipper, EAC + plugin)?

I do rip back-up copies of my favorite CDs, after a few fell into abuse or were lost. But, I'd rather not use my PC to play my music and I have not invested in a network player yet. It's just a user preference. FWIT, I also still collect LPs so I like physical discs! I have a Bryston stack and might consider a used BDP-2 in the future, particularly if it worked with my Mac.

@levimax - I do have some CDs that skip after cleaning and at least one that skips on multiple tracks.

@scrubb - That's what I'm looking for, but I have not found a recommended solution yet.

Reactions: EJ3

levimax

Major Contributor
I do rip back-up copies of my favorite CDs, after a few fell into abuse or were lost. But, I'd rather not use my PC to play my music and I have not invested in a network player yet. It's just a user preference. FWIT, I also still collect LPs so I like physical discs! I have a Bryston stack and might consider a used BDP-2 in the future, particularly if it worked with my Mac.

@levimax - I do have some CDs that skip after cleaning and at least one that skips on multiple tracks.

@scrubb - That's what I'm looking for, but I have not found a recommended solution yet.

From a confident random internet person (not me).... I would try on a "Kenny G" CD before is tried on a Black Triangle DSOTM CD :)

(1) can of Meguiars ULTIMATE Paste Wax, here in the US, bought at Walmart, I'm sure Meguiar's sells paste wax where you are, hopefully so. This is a very fine wax, it will not damage CD's. Here, Walmart also sells car polishing cloths that are extremely soft, you will need those as well. Never, EVER use any paper product to apply anything on a CD, no paper towels, nothing made of paper, toilet paper, NOTHING, they will scratch your CD, you must used these very, very soft car towels designed not to scratch, it's the only thing for applying the wax.

Put the Meguiar's wax on in a circular motion on the CD's and polish, lots of circular movement. This should remove light scratches, but it does not happen in 5 seconds, it takes some time and polishing to remove these scratches, be patient. If you are dealing with a bit tougher scratch, put the wax on and use the flat part of you index finger and move the wax back and forth, keeping the surface moist with the wax, try not to let it get too hard, keep applying the wax. Some scratches that are a bit deeper require a bit more pressure and you will have to literally "heat" the disc surface up with your rubbing, and that should not hurt the disc, but always try and use more repetition and less pressure.

If you do have to use harder pressure, you can make very small hairline scratches, BUT, you can go back to the circular polishing/burnishing on the disc after you have removed the deeper scratches.

This method works every time, I have done dozens and dozens of CD's using the premium Meguiar's ULTIMATE Past Wax, it is the ONLY wax I have used that does not add to the scratches on a disc, but rather burnishes them out.

OP
Angsty

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
From a confident random internet person (not me).... I would try on a "Kenny G" CD before is tried on a Black Triangle DSOTM CD :)

(1) can of Meguiars ULTIMATE Paste Wax, here in the US, bought at Walmart, I'm sure Meguiar's sells paste wax where you are, hopefully so. This is a very fine wax, it will not damage CD's. Here, Walmart also sells car polishing cloths that are extremely soft, you will need those as well. Never, EVER use any paper product to apply anything on a CD, no paper towels, nothing made of paper, toilet paper, NOTHING, they will scratch your CD, you must used these very, very soft car towels designed not to scratch, it's the only thing for applying the wax.

Put the Meguiar's wax on in a circular motion on the CD's and polish, lots of circular movement. This should remove light scratches, but it does not happen in 5 seconds, it takes some time and polishing to remove these scratches, be patient. If you are dealing with a bit tougher scratch, put the wax on and use the flat part of you index finger and move the wax back and forth, keeping the surface moist with the wax, try not to let it get too hard, keep applying the wax. Some scratches that are a bit deeper require a bit more pressure and you will have to literally "heat" the disc surface up with your rubbing, and that should not hurt the disc, but always try and use more repetition and less pressure.

If you do have to use harder pressure, you can make very small hairline scratches, BUT, you can go back to the circular polishing/burnishing on the disc after you have removed the deeper scratches.

This method works every time, I have done dozens and dozens of CD's using the premium Meguiar's ULTIMATE Past Wax, it is the ONLY wax I have used that does not add to the scratches on a disc, but rather burnishes them out.
I do have an actual Kenny G CD to try this on! Looks like a trip to AutoZone for me; I avoid Walmart during COVID.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
our city library has a machine for this but I don't know what it is or the cost

to do it right, you need some way to spin the disc at the same time as the polishing head moves

OP
Angsty

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
our city library has a machine for this but I don't know what it is or the cost

to do it right, you need some way to spin the disc at the same time as the polishing head moves

Great tip! I found this video and I will look for services that are similar. I'd be okay with using a reputable service versus doing it at home. I'll also check with our local library.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
flippant answer.. Why not rip the CD with CUEripper or equivalent repair software, burn it back to a CD-ROM, you get to keep the jewel case and the damaged CD ... You need the PC just for the burning process...

OP
Angsty

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
flippant answer.. Why not rip the CD with CUEripper or equivalent repair software, burn it back to a CD-ROM, you get to keep the jewel case and the damaged CD ... You need the PC just for the burning process...
Not flippant. I have tried to rip some damaged discs, but not all of them are repaired with my software.
I may need better software, but I have had rips that had the skips embedded in the file. :oops:

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I saw that @restorer-john once commented about polishing CD cases (and I'm interested in that, too) but I could not find anything here about polishing CDs.

The best thing to find is an old video rental store's disc polishing unit. We bought a few of them back in the day when video stores were closing down, but it's likely too late now. Maybe look online, put a search into eBay and wait. You can substitute cleaning solutions and polish/pads but you need the unit for bulk polishing.

I don't have issues with damaged discs themselves not playing because I don't buy them in the first place if the surface condition is poor. Couple that with physical players that can play practically anything and you never have a problem. There is no disc in my collection (~10,000) that doesn't play perfectly.

As for the cases, I cannot have a disc in my collection that doesn't look as good as it can. It gives me great joy to find a rare disc in an original case and then take that case back to perfect condition. That said, there's probably 1500 discs that need case cleaning/polishing waiting in line. My best friend who also collects CDs, cares more about the actual rarity of the disc itself, not the condition of it, so consequently, he has ton of discs that don't play, in broken, ratty cases- something I cannot countenance.

NTomokawa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The best thing to find is an old video rental store's disc polishing unit.
This. Or go to your local video game store that sells used games. Chances are that they'll have a disc polishing machine.

Meguiars ULTIMATE Paste Wax
This thing smells BOSS! I've never had dessert that smells as good as this wax.

OP
Angsty

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The best thing to find is an old video rental store's disc polishing unit. We bought a few of them back in the day when video stores were closing down, but it's likely too late now. Maybe look online, put a search into eBay and wait. You can substitute cleaning solutions and polish/pads but you need the unit for bulk polishing.

I don't have issues with damaged discs themselves not playing because I don't buy them in the first place if the surface condition is poor. Couple that with physical players that can play practically anything and you never have a problem. There is no disc in my collection (~10,000) that doesn't play perfectly.

As for the cases, I cannot have a disc in my collection that doesn't look as good as it can. It gives me great joy to find a rare disc in an original case and then take that case back to perfect condition. That said, there's probably 1500 discs that need case cleaning/polishing waiting in line. My best friend who also collects CDs, cares more about the actual rarity of the disc itself, not the condition of it, so consequently, he has ton of discs that don't play, in broken, ratty cases- something I cannot countenance.
Thanks, @restorer-john. How do you restore cases? I have simply replaced them with new ones I buy in bulk.

Also, why do you have CD polishing systems if you never use them? ;)

OP
Angsty

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This. Or go to your local video game store that sells used games. Chances are that they'll have a disc polishing machine.

I had not thought of a place like GameStop - makes sense, thanks! My library was a bust.

Martini

Forum Donor
As an FYI, there are two sides to a CD, the bottom shiny side that the laser reads through and the top/label side. The bottom is fairly thick and fine scratches in it may be able to be polished out. The top side is rather thin and if the scratch is on that side, the potential to damage the coded layer with the aluminum substrate is high. You cannot repair damage to that side and sometimes it is visually difficult to determine which side is scratched.

OP
Angsty

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I had not thought of a place like GameStop - makes sense, thanks! My library was a bust.
GameStop was a bust, too. I’ll try the paste wax approach and will keep my eye out for other local CD restoration opportunities. Somebody has to have one of these polishing machines running in a large metro area.

Top Bottom