• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Pioneer SP-BS22-LR Bookshelf Speaker Review

spacevector

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Amir, is the absolute SPL correct in first graph putting the sensitivity around 84-85dB/2.8Vm?

jaykay77

To the above people wondering what’s equivalent for the price...probably something by edifier...I bought a small pair (smaller than these pioneers) and they absolutely rock! And they have amps built in!

Dogen

Forum Donor
To the above people wondering what’s equivalent for the price...probably something by edifier...I bought a small pair (smaller than these pioneers) and they absolutely rock! And they have amps built in!

Would be nice to see a review of the Edifiers. I see mixed reviews, but definitely an interesting proposition.

StevenEleven

Forum Donor
Extremely valuable review for the general consumer. Plus I have a pair. ; ) Full disclosure—I’m totally biased, I’m emotionally invested in them (I know, weird), I love them, but I’m not that demanding. I’m more a music guy than an audio guy. And yes, you need a subwoofer (two preferrably) if you want real bass with these. They also make great surrounds. They were my introduction to 21st century speaker design and have served me well over several years in multiple roles.

Thank you so much @amirm , it’s exciting since this is the first time you have reviewed something I actually own. And to push back against and smoke out the excuses and caveats of the loud-talking and presumptuous ultra-opinionated chronic naysayers at least a little. :cool: I stuck to my guns and I’m not so tone deaf or stupid after all.

Last edited:

LeftCoastTim

Forum Donor
Yay, woke up to something good this time! Indeed better than the Micca (and not a pain to power), due note that the original MSRP was $159.99, they likely reduced it to compete with Micca.

Preference Rating
SCORE: 4.8
SCORE ignore LFX: 7.4

A new bargain winner! I love it!

Sgt. Ear Ache

Major Contributor
I have the BS22 towers currently sitting in the storage room of my apartment. I found them to be a little boring sounding really. Sort of lifeless. However, they were also just too much speaker for my place. I couldn't really get them cooking...

As far as the bookshelves go I'm still inclined to prefer the RB42s because I think the Pioneers are homely as hell, lol.

DSJR

Major Contributor
Could I ask please, if you were going to use them, even as second system speakers, would you plonk them on a desk/workstation, listen to them well out from a back wall in a reasonable size room, or place them on stands or bookself jammed up to a rear wall?

I only ask because I used to sell Linn's early speakers - (screaming Kans anyone - OUCH!!!) and the 10db or so difference in the mid bass level from 100Hz rising up to 1.5kHz could be reduced by a third to a half with tight-wall mounting. These incredibly cheap Pioneers may well offer more mid bass when sited close to a back wall as I suspect many owners use them - forgive the UK-centric response here - our rooms are often smaller than rooms elsewhere and we/I tend to feel that many normal size US rooms are cavernous in comparison (please forgive me if I'm totally wrong here)...

It amazes me how speakers can be made this cheap and cheaper again. Back in the 80's, £100pr was regarded as bargain basement and even mid 70's cheapo classics like Videoton Minimax or the Keesonic Kub were very cheap at around £50 the pair (I can't be a*sed to work it out, but they'd be a few hundred quid the pair now I suspect)

SmackDaddies

listen to them well out from a back wall in a reasonable size room, or place them on stands or bookself jammed up to a rear wall?
Very true. I keep mind at about 18 inches from the back wall, but I do have the space for it.

ex audiophile

Forum Donor
It's funny Amir, I was hoping you'd get a pair of these horrors to test. The 22s were upgraded, but they needed to be. The 21s were absolutely atrocious.

I own (sent to my dad's) a pair of the first generation ones (the SP-B21 LR) and a pair of the larger floor standing version, the SP-B21 FS. I bought them just for fun, expecting something partially decent. They are without a doubt the worst sounding small bookshelf speakers I've ever heard or owned. The floorstanders are equally as hideous. Not my imagination either, compared them to numerous other budget and mid-priced similar speakers, side by side, and other people/friends thought the same. Many, many others feel exactly the same way.

They took on undeserved life of their own via the internet and group-think hype.

My quote to my father when I took them to his place to see if he could find a use for them (I suggested a stand for real speakers) was "they have no redeeming sonic qualities whatsoever". He thinks they are OK for listening to the cricket on AM. I told him they are his to do with what he wants, up to and including putting them outside with "free" taped to them. Trouble is, some poor young hipster might think they represent what HiFi actually sounds like, and that in itself would be a tragedy of epic proportions.

If you weren't so far away, I'd happily give them to you to test and compare to your 22s and then leave out on the footpath (sidewalk) for recycling when done. I'm happy to go grab them and do a photographic tear-down to compare the 1st vs 2nd generation if you like.

I do agree, the cabinet is a stand-out in finishing for the money and that's the only reason I didn't throw them out altogether.

:)
so what do you really think about these speakers? lol, fun post, thanks.

spacevector

Forum Donor
where is the eye roll emoticon. Devialets are $1,000 plus speakers. The SB22 are $100 speakers. You are seriously trying to do a comparison?
I mean we have been comparing the Micca RB42 to the KEF LS50 so why not...
The eyeroll emoticon can be found like so:
1581097313694.png

Roll away...

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Devialet owners may disagree.
Well the little Phantom has 2 long throw bass drivers designed for low bass, not sure the piston size. The original Phantom has 2 drivers with the same piston area as a 8" driver, also designed for very long throw and using DSP to apply the inverse of the cabinet roll-off. So not exactly comparable.
In fact absolutely nothing like it ;)

confucius_zero

soooo... it's better than the LS50? having heard both... It's amazing but I did find the LS50 to render more nuances to the sound.

confucius_zero

Near-field or living room?
both situations yeah. also compared the bs22 near field vs Paradigm Atom 7 and Monitor Audio Bronze 1 which both delivered more nuances, perhaps due to the longer throw of their larger woofers.

Top Bottom