• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

PET absorbers for low frequency?

ripmixburn

Forum Donor
I'm in contact with a company who produces panels made from PET (Polyethylene Terephthalate, not domesticated animals). They send me their performance data for a 15mm (0.59 inch) thick panel… Does the low frequency absorption seem unusually high to you too or am I misreading it?

1643640127573.png

1643640293156.png

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
the density is really huge, this might not be something you could hang on a wall. keep that in mind.

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
0.56 absorption coefficient at 100hz for a 0.59" panel? Um, I really really doubt it. That is comparable to like 3" rockwool. This would be some majorly magic material unless there is some kind of unmentioned installation requirement. The density is ~50% higher than the densest rockwool but there's no way that accounts for a 6x performance improvement at 100hz.

OP
ripmixburn

ripmixburn

Forum Donor
I think this might be for a ceiling (cloud) installation but wouldn’t that be measured in Sabins?

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
If they are what I think, these type of absorbers are often called "membrane" absorbers. I have a few papers on them, always thought I might try to build a few but never had the time. Essentially, if it is what I am thinking, they create a panel with lots of little "holes" that act as resonators (absorbers) at specific frequencies. That allows high absorption without a thick panel, and also allows them to be designed to target specific frequencies and/or have a range of holes to cover a broad bandwidth. There are some commercial versions but I do not recall the companies -- seems like Stillpoints (the company making the isolation feet) makes some? The others I have seen are by professional (not consumer) oriented companies, I think...

Saponetto

Perhaps it's one of my many mistaken thoughts, but I always meant the room as a bigger replica of the volume within a speaker box.
If I am able to add acoustic wool in a box simulating it's bigger by increasing the time needed to the sound to reach the box inner reaches, I can apply the same principle in my room.
At the end of the day, if canceling resonances is -so- difficult, just getting the stationary waves moved away (delayed) from my listening point is for me a good result.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If they are what I think, these type of absorbers are often called "membrane" absorbers. I have a few papers on them, always thought I might try to build a few but never had the time. Essentially, if it is what I am thinking, they create a panel with lots of little "holes" that act as resonators (absorbers) at specific frequencies. That allows high absorption without a thick panel, and also allows them to be designed to target specific frequencies and/or have a range of holes to cover a broad bandwidth. There are some commercial versions but I do not recall the companies -- seems like Stillpoints (the company making the isolation feet) makes some? The others I have seen are by professional (not consumer) oriented companies, I think...

I don’t think so, these absorbers claim a very broad range of absorption.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
I'm in contact with a company who produces panels made from PET (Polyethylene Terephthalate, not domesticated animals). They send me their performance data for a 15mm (0.59 inch) thick panel… Does the low frequency absorption seem unusually high to you too or am I misreading it?

View attachment 183337
View attachment 183338
It's mounting type E, which means tested with an airgap, and the number after the E is the airgap in millimeters. That combined with PET being plastic sheeting is why there are resonant peaks. The actual test report would have more description about the procedure and room, which would help you understand how to get similar results. If, for example, you mounted this directly to a wall, the absorptivity would drop significantly.

Frgirard

Major Contributor

View attachment 183337
View attachment 183338
If They are measured in reverberant room, they have poor performances. Why nothing under 100 Hz?
If they are measured in impedance tube, this is revolutionary for 15 mm.
Use proven material such as Gik, Rpg, Caruso isobond, Basotect.

Frgirard

Major Contributor
Our living spaces are full of allergens. Glass or rock fibers avoid this problem.
BS Marketing.

MCH

Major Contributor
I trust all materials allowed to be used in construction are safe if used properly (=important). That said, from the chemical point of view strictly, polyester would be a safer alternative over melamine formaldehyde foam or fibers glass/others.
As someone pointed out in other thread, at the end of the day you have all these already in air conducts etc in your home or office...

Vict0r

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I chuckled at your "not domesticated animals" joke and instantly wondered what a cow in my office would do for room acoustics. I'm sure cows are pretty dense.

Frgirard

Major Contributor
I chuckled at your "not domesticated animals" joke and instantly wondered what a cow in my office would do for room acoustics. I'm sure cows are pretty dense.
What is the gas flow resistivity of a cow? With and without horns.

Top Bottom