• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

PC Help - AMD Ryzen 5600G

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
I recently bought an AMD Ryzen 5600G a CPU with integraded graphics, with the idea of making a second PC with some parts I already had.

I've tried it with 2 motherboards and the problem is, I can't get the system to boot unless there's a GPU installed, which totally defeats the purpose of buying a CPU with integraded graphics.

With a GPU installed I can get into the BIOS, etc. and even set it to use the integrated graphics, but if I then remove the GPU, it won't boot, it doesn't even get to the point where the lights on the mouse and keyboard light up.

It will even boot and I can get into BIOS if I have the GPU installed, but the HDMI cable plugged into the port on the motherboard, rather than the one on the back of the graphics card. :facepalm:

It's as if regardless of what I do, the boot sequence is checking for a GPU in the PCIE slot, and won't continue unless one is present.

Any ideas?

Last edited:

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That's weird, I would have thought that the motherboard BIOS would be setup to allow initial setup with just a CPU with integrated graphics, rather than requiring a seperate GPU installed. Seeing as you can get into the BIOS with the GPU installed, why not do that, then see if you can find a setting that relates to which graphics processor to use. They used to be called IGD and PEG. IGD relates to the GPU within the CPU, and PEG is for an external GPU. Try to flip something in the BIOS to get it to use the internal graphics processor of the CPU - after that point you can take out the GPU and hopefully it will boot.

EDIT: and as @BR52 said it's worth checking you're on the latest BIOS. (but easier first to check the IGD / PEG thing I mentioned.)

Last edited:
OP
Count Arthur

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
I've updated the BIOS, but to no avail.

I've put together dozens of PCs over the years, messed about with overclocking and I've never had this much trouble before.

Given that the I've tried 2 different motherboards and had the same issue, could it be a faulty CPU and specifically it's graphics component?

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd first do a BIOS reset to factory then try it without the card installed. There's also a BIOS reset button or jumper you can short with a screwdriver for a few seconds. Make sure to unplug it from the wall and wait 15 seconds for the capacitor to drain to really reset it. If the LED on the board is lit, it's still getting power even if the switch is off. To do a full reset it has to be unplugged.

dlaloum

Major Contributor
Not all AM4 motherboards support the "G" series CPU/APU's....
That was one of the things I was careful of when choosing a Motherboard...
And most motherboards don't allow for a BIOS upgrade without a supported CPU in place in the first place (some do have BIOS upgrade without CPU... - but those tend to be a very small minority)

Salt

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
What do the specs of the motherboard say: do they support the CPU?

OP
Count Arthur

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
What do the specs of the motherboard say: do they support the CPU?
Both the motherboards I've tried state that they support this CPU and both have a suitable BIOS installed:

1695894745539.png

I'd first do a BIOS reset to factory then try it without the card installed. There's also a BIOS reset button or jumper you can short with a screwdriver for a few seconds. Make sure to unplug it from the wall and wait 15 seconds for the capacitor to drain to really reset it. If the LED on the board is lit, it's still getting power even if the switch is off. To do a full reset it has to be unplugged.

I tried that with one the motherboards and the "Load optimized defaults" in the BIOS on both motherboards.

With both motherboards, it seems that the boot sequence cannot get past the "check for GPU" stage, as it would if you were using a standard CPU without having a GPU installed in the PCIE slot.

There's not a whole lot else it could possibly be at this point.

I think I've exhausted all the possibilities at this point. I can't imagine that setting up a system with a CPU with an integrated GPU should be this difficult. Afterall, many people wouldn't have spare GPU on hand, to get past the boot problem to start with and, as I did, would expect everything to work, right out of the box.

I bought the CPU on Amazon UK, so I shouldn't have any issues getting it replaced.

Thanks for your suggestions everyone.

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The only thing left would be to have the video card installed, then check in device manager for both video devices and see if onboard shows up and should allow you to switch to the onboard to see if you get a signal. The catalyst software will let you see if it's active and the just plug the monitor into the MB output. Just seeing if it's showing up should tell if the onboard video is there and functioning.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Is BIOS really flashed, is CPU correctly identified? If CPU is correctly recognised and BIOS on default it should work using integrated graphics when there is no discreet one put in. Buy default BIOS - chipset - internal graphics is set to auto meaning on when there is no discreet one detected and you off when present and detected. You can try changing it to enabled. Get the last BIOS (F18b), flash it and reset to defaults and try with integrated only and if it doesn't boot put in discreet and change the BIOS - chipset - internal graphics to enabled (both will be present or only integrated when you pull out discreet one out).
I wish you luck!

popej

It's really weird. Could you try another monitor? Other HDMI cable?

OP
Count Arthur

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
It's really weird. Could you try another monitor? Other HDMI cable?
It's packed and going back.

The odd thing is, that both the HDMI and Displayport output on the motherboard, rather than the ones on the back plate of GPU would work. It's just that the system would not not boot, without a GPU in the PCIE slot.

popej

Just a guess, but maybe BIOS stops at some kind of monitor detection.

OP
Count Arthur

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
Just a guess, but maybe BIOS stops at some kind of monitor detection.
They do, and some motherboards will have beep codes or lights to help you work out where they are in the process, or what the problem might be:

1695908190511.png

However, this should allow for CPUs with an integrated GPU.

In any case the 5600G is on its way back. The question is, do I buy another one, or buy a cheap GPU to use with a Ryzen 7 3700X I have.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I had a very similar issue when building my Ryzen 9 7900 based PC. All of the 7000 series CPUs have an iGPU and I wanted to get the PC up and working before I'd decided which GPU card I was going to buy (I should add that this is not my first rodeo, I built my first with a 16MHz i386sx and 2MB of RAM)...

After assembling the new PC, I could boot into the BIOS, but then the screen would go blank after a minute or so and the PC would become unresponsive. The screen would remain blank, even after a hard reset of the PC. I had to physically disconnect and reconnect the power cord to get anything back on the screen again.

I assumed that this issue was related to the BIOS revision, but I was concerned about the screen going blank whilst flashing a new BIOS. So, I left the PC in the Q-Flash screen (rather than the main BIOS screen) and it seemed to be stable - I left it for for well over 30 minutes. So then I flashed the latest BIOS... it got to over 70% and the screen went blank! I left the PC for another 30 minutes hoping that the BIOS flash would complete, but the PC appeared 'bricked' upon a reboot (and multiple reboots after that).

After some hair pulling and further research, I discovered that my Gigabyte mobo supported Q-Flash Plus - This is flashing the BIOS without a CPU, RAM or anything else installed on the motherboard (there's a nice article about QFP here: https://glennsqlperformance.com/2020/12/22/how-to-flash-a-gigabyte-motherboard-with-q-flash-plus/). So I manged to get the BIOS flashed to the latest version, but the issue with the screen going blank remained.

I can't remember why (desperation?!), but I decided to try plugging the new PC into my main 34" screen, rather than the spare 23" one i'd been using to build the PC - the problem disappeared!

I still don't understand what the issues was with the 23" screen, it's only a couple of years old and works perfectly with several other PCs and laptops that have been connected to it. The new PC has also worked flawlessly on my 34" screen, both with and without a discrete GPU (it's got an RX 6700 XT in it now).

OP
Count Arthur

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
I didn't think to try a different monitor, but I did try the monitor with both a HDMI and a DP cable. :confused:

All I can say is, who would have thought that building an integrated curcuit onto a silicon wafer with over 10,000,000 7nm transistors would be so difficult. :D

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I had/have a similar issue in that it (Yes, a Intel.) won't boot without the video card in the slot. Maybe this helps or at best gives you ideas or leads you somewhere useful.

Top Bottom