• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Parts Express DIY C-Note Speaker Review

xarkkon

So... this thread inspired me to try this kit...

View attachment 127974

This is my first attempt at speaker building... And...

1) I have no idea how some of you knock this off over a weekend
2) There is never enough sanding
3) Order of operations is not as obvious as one might think
4) Somehow I avoided any redos

I shortened the port as in @Rick Sykora 's thread and added some acousta stuff in the bottom half. Three surfaces inside are covered by textured rubber exercise matt (don't comment, I don't know why I thought that'd be a good idea).

They sound not bad at all, but rapidly A/B'ing them against Revel M22s they are clearly inferior, and at rather loud volumes, with bass heavy music, the ports get farty.

Over all - it was a fun and pleasant experience, and quite possibly I've caught the bug... I've started to eyeball a kit from CSS.

Thanks to this forum for getting me to have a go, and adding a new life experience.
that's a real beautiful build, congrats!

eddantes

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I would certainly hope so! ;)

Well... it wasn't the "direction" that I was curious about, rather the "distance" from a known quantity like the M22...

While the "distance" wasn't big, it was easy to discern, even for a quasi-deaf :) person like me.

ejh2854

Not sure how I stumbled across this thread, but have been reading it with interest... thanks to all for their commentary!

I built a set of the C-Note MTs shortly after the introduction, and then one of the C-Note centers as they came out. My 2¢: mine are cross-braced and lined with mattress topper, but there's still a notable amount of liveliness to the enclosure itself... Chris P's Sonic Barrier suggestion for damping the enclosure is the route I'd follow if building another set, as there's too much energy escaping through the walls.

Getting ready to refinish the set, haven't tried cutting down the port length (yet) but have dithered with adding denim stuffing... to my ears that seems to be going in the wrong direction, will putz with Acousta-Stuf next and throw a mic on them.

For the cost though, I don't see how anyone can have a serious grumble with these... on stands and out in the room a bit, they're a credit to their designer ;)

datrumole

Not sure how I stumbled across this thread, but have been reading it with interest... thanks to all for their commentary!

I built a set of the C-Note MTs shortly after the introduction, and then one of the C-Note centers as they came out. My 2¢: mine are cross-braced and lined with mattress topper, but there's still a notable amount of liveliness to the enclosure itself... Chris P's Sonic Barrier suggestion for damping the enclosure is the route I'd follow if building another set, as there's too much energy escaping through the walls.

Getting ready to refinish the set, haven't tried cutting down the port length (yet) but have dithered with adding denim stuffing... to my ears that seems to be going in the wrong direction, will putz with Acousta-Stuf next and throw a mic on them.

For the cost though, I don't see how anyone can have a serious grumble with these... on stands and out in the room a bit, they're a credit to their designer ;)

worth noting, i built a pair for myself and a pair for a friend, and had ran out of topper to line with on his. so i quickly threw them together before i ran out to buy more topper and see if it made a difference

grabbed a ton of measurements with umik and rew, and not a lick of noticeable/meaningful differences. i dont have the charts anymore, but couldnt have been more than +/- 0.2db in any one direction across teh spectrum

the only thing i would suggest for simplicity if you truly felt it needed to quiet the enclosure down, would be some vertical dowels to stiffen up the long panels

ejh2854

Thanks, and not surprised to hear that the topper made a negligible difference in your measurements.

The XOs in the MTs are on the enclosure inside/bottom, so adding vertical bracing is probably a non-starter at this point- I'll have a deeper look while everything is apart for refinish. For the center I added a little stiffening to the short axis:

C-Note Center.jpg

....but it is what it is, at this point ;) and I am on to other projects.

Ed

kfirsolomon

Hello experts. Noob here.
I'm disappointed with mine since they lack bass depth and punch.
Using uncalibrated mic I got SPLs that confirm what I'm hearing.
They roll off at 200hz. Barely audible at 50hz.
I'm comparing these to my current 90's JVC mini stereo SP-S20BK and even these sound better (bass wise).
Even my puny little JBL Flip 5 sounds deeper sometimes. (See flat SPL with sharp drop off at 60hz but flat above that).

I'm using optical into Schiit Modi 3+ --> Aiyima A07 --> speakers.
No grills.
0.22 additional caps L2.
No serious stuffing or damping.

I tried the following but I saw (and heard) little to no difference:
Put speakers close to the back wall
Pull speakers 12" away from the back wall
Toe in, toe out
Sock in port
4" or 7" port (without socks :)

The speakers are placed at the edges of a 6.5 feet wooden cabinet (TV console).
They are used as 2.0 in my living room (24x18x8 feet approx).

Any advice?
What am I missing? Where is the C-Notes magic?!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211112-110825.jpg
    Screenshot_20211112-110825.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 124
  • Screenshot_20211112-104930.jpg
    Screenshot_20211112-104930.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 140
Last edited:

Colonel7

Hello experts. Noob here.
I'm disappointed with mine since they lack bass depth and punch.
Using uncalibrated mic I got SPLs that confirm what I'm hearing.
They roll off at 200hz. Barely audible at 50hz.
I'm comparing these to my current 90's JVC mini stereo SP-S20BK and even these sound better (bass wise).
Even my puny little JBL Flip 5 sounds deeper sometimes. (See flat SPL with sharp drop off at 60hz but flat above that).

I'm using optical into Schiit Modi 3+ --> Aiyima A07 --> speakers.
No grills.
0.22 additional caps L2.
No serious stuffing or damping.

I tried the following but I saw (and heard) little to no difference:
Put speakers close to the back wall
Pull speakers 12" away from the back wall
Toe in, toe out
Sock in port
4" or 7" port (without socks :)

The speakers are placed at the edges of a 6.5 feet wooden cabinet (TV console).
They are used as 2.0 in my living room (18x12x8 feet approx).

Any advice?
What am I missing? Where is the C-Notes magic?!
That is a very large room for ~5" woofers. How far away are you when listening? C-notes are best when used nearfield or in a very small room. And like all 5" , you need a sub for best sound quality ( some would even say satisfactory SQ).

kfirsolomon

That is a very large room for ~5" woofers. How far away are you when listening? C-notes are best when used nearfield or in a very small room. And like all 5" , you need a sub for best sound quality ( some would even say satisfactory SQ).
Apparently I got my room measurements wrong (switching meters to feet).
The room is actually 24x18x8 feet (edited original post to correct dimensions) and I'm sitting about 8 feet from the speakers.

Even if the room is too large for them, I'd expect the SPL to be similar to the one everyone else got... And these to be better (lower) than tiny portable JBLs...

Last edited:

sychan

Forum Donor
From everything I read, the C-Notes should sound pretty solid over most of that 50hz-200hz range. Are you sure the crossovers are built properly, and that they are connected to the drivers using the right polarity, etc...? I think I saw a thread where someone had put the crossover inductors on the same plane, and it affected the midrange badly, so there are all kinds of ways that the crossover might be off.

You might want to try the Parts Express Tech Talk forum:

kfirsolomon

From everything I read, the C-Notes should sound pretty solid over most of that 50hz-200hz range. Are you sure the crossovers are built properly, and that they are connected to the drivers using the right polarity, etc...? I think I saw a thread where someone had put the crossover inductors on the same plane, and it affected the midrange badly, so there are all kinds of ways that the crossover might be off.

You might want to try the Parts Express Tech Talk forum:

I know, thats why I am so disappointed.
I'm certain I kept the inductors on perpendicular planes, and made sure to get the polarity right. The only thing I'm less certain about is the way I attached the extra capacitor over L2 (is there a way to do this wrong?!).

I'll ask over on Parts Express Tech Talk too...
Still, if anyone else had a similar issue with these (or with other speakers) and found a solution, I'll be glad to know!

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Over all - it was a fun and pleasant experience, and quite possibly I've caught the bug... I've started to eyeball a kit from CSS.
Although I may have the patience to do a DIY set of bookshelf speakers, I am scared to go down that bottomless pit you refer to as "caught the bug". Updates and upgrades belong in the software realm for me >> I keep reading that most DIY speakers "can" always sound better w/a tweak here and a change there...

eddantes

I know, thats why I am so disappointed.
I'm certain I kept the inductors on perpendicular planes, and made sure to get the polarity right. The only thing I'm less certain about is the way I attached the extra capacitor over L2 (is there a way to do this wrong?!).

I'll ask over on Parts Express Tech Talk too...
Still, if anyone else had a similar issue with these (or with other speakers) and found a solution, I'll be glad to know!
I bet you wired the xover wrong.

As for inductors on the same plane - sheesh, I dunno, it might be audible... but boy... I do doubt it. Here's my "slaped it together" job on my xovers. I just followed the diagram and used some old exercise mat to make it easier to glue into the bottom of the speaker.

1636753660542.png

It ain't no art, and I bet my C-notes sound like all the other ones. So long as the circuit is competed correctly and you aren;t grounding out somewhere - it should work OK.

But then again - I aint no technician.

kfirsolomon

I bet you wired the xover wrong.

As for inductors on the same plane - sheesh, I dunno, it might be audible... but boy... I do doubt it. Here's my "slaped it together" job on my xovers. I just followed the diagram and used some old exercise mat to make it easier to glue into the bottom of the speaker.

View attachment 164979

It ain't no art, and I bet my C-notes sound like all the other ones. So long as the circuit is competed correctly and you aren;t grounding out somewhere - it should work OK.

But then again - I aint no technician.
Seems simple enough.
Again, unless I got the 0.22 cap wrong?
Maybe I'll remove it and re-test...

Attachments

• IMG_20211015_142614.jpg
    IMG_20211015_142614.jpg
    235.8 KB · Views: 108

sychan

Forum Donor

eddantes