• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Parts Express DIY C-Note Speaker Review

eddantes

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Its not too late to redo the crossover, since it seems to be a little dodgy anyway.
nah - it's fine... C-notes are floor level so - ok as is

kfirsolomon

Seems simple enough.
Again, unless I got the 0.22 cap wrong?
Maybe I'll remove it and re-test...
Update for curious ones:
I bypassed the XO altogether and ran 20-1000Hz directly to the woofer (while assembled to the cabinet).
I even moved my setup outside, in case the room is the one killing the bass.
Nope!
Still, a clear roll off starting approx 200 hz.
Very frustrating (ignore the yellow line in the attached image).
I'm gonna try a different amp just in case the problem lies with the Aiyima, but I'll be surprised if it is.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211113-215117.jpg
    Screenshot_20211113-215117.jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 127

sychan

Forum Donor
Update for curious ones:
I bypassed the XO altogether and ran 20-1000Hz directly to the woofer (while assembled to the cabinet).
Nope!
I'm gonna try a different amp just in case the problem lies with the Aiyima, but I'll be surprised if it is.

You can check it against the spec: https://www.parts-express.com/pedocs/specs/295-526--dayton-audio-DSA135-8-specifications.pdf

If it happens with both drivers, it sounds like the amp is the issue. You don't have high pass filter turned on by any chance, do you?

eddantes

Update for curious ones:
Nope!
Sorry not familiar with that visualization - what are those traces? Is the red the FR? Or is it the yellow?

kfirsolomon

You can check it against the spec: https://www.parts-express.com/pedocs/specs/295-526--dayton-audio-DSA135-8-specifications.pdf

If it happens with both drivers, it sounds like the amp is the issue. You don't have high pass filter turned on by any chance, do you?
I don't have one, but I agree it seems like I do. Now I'm extra curious testing them with my old AV (Onkyo SR576).

Sorry not familiar with that visualization - what are those traces? Is the red the FR? Or is it the yellow?

The red is the temporary FR reading at the time of capturing and should be ignored.

The yellow is the peak FR and is the relevant one.

datrumole

I don't have one, but I agree it seems like I do. Now I'm extra curious testing them with my old AV (Onkyo SR576).

The red is the temporary FR reading at the time of capturing and should be ignored.

The yellow is the peak FR and is the relevant one.
what is your source? try it with something to isolate just the amp and a source you know is giving off full range sound

kfirsolomon

what is your source? try it with something to isolate just the amp and a source you know is giving off full range sound
Unfortunatly I don't have a source I'm 100% sure about, but I did re-test with the Onkyo AV receiver I have and got the same results.
I also changed the source, cables and source software. No change.

I started suspecting the room so I took measurements in different places around the room.

This was fascinating (to me):
Initially, right in front of the speaker (even when I had it moved outside the house) I got the early roll off at 200hz, which led me believing it is not a room issue.

But! Moving in the room I found places where it got significantly better. Not like other charts of c-notes I saw here, but better.

I found a 35hz room mode (bass boost) and a 65hz one. These increase and decrease as I moved around the room.

I'm attaching the best one.
It's not that bad, I guess... (Got reduction in highs this time).

Not sure what else to try.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211115-231025.jpg
    Screenshot_20211115-231025.jpg
    168.5 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:

datrumole

Unfortunatly I don't have a source I'm 100% sure about, but I did re-test with the Onkyo AV receiver I have and got the same results.
I also changed the source, cables and source software. No change.

I started suspecting the room so I took measurements in different places around the room.

This was fascinating (to me):
Initially, right in front of the speaker (even when I had it moved outside the house) I got the early roll off at 200hz, which led me believing it is not a room issue.

But! Moving in the room I found places where it got significantly better. Not like other charts of c-notes I saw here, but better.

I found a 35hz room mode (bass boost) and a 65hz one. These increase and decrease as I moved around the room.

I'm attaching the best one.
It's not that bad, I guess... (Got reduction in highs this time).

Not sure what else to try.

just try your phone as a source, run it straight to the amp, use youtube which i dont believe has any eq involved, and probably rare you have a system wide eq that would interfere

kfirsolomon

just try your phone as a source, run it straight to the amp, use youtube which i dont believe has any eq involved, and probably rare you have a system wide eq that would interfere
I did exactly that (phone, youtube, amp). I didn't understand the second part (", and probably rare you have a system wide eq that would interfere").
What did you mean by that?

datrumole

I did exactly that (phone, youtube, amp). I didn't understand the second part (", and probably rare you have a system wide eq that would interfere").
What did you mean by that?
meaning your phone having a 'headphone' settings wherein it would bass limit the output

datrumole

Got it.
So, I tried also from my tv-box youtube and from a laptop with REW.
Same results.
weird, i'd check your crossover, i just found my old cnote measurements from when i built them

Attachments

• cnote-1ft.JPG
    cnote-1ft.JPG
    142.2 KB · Views: 142

rhenry74

Update for curious ones:
Nope!
When you "bypassed the XO altogether and ran 20-1000Hz directly to the woofer" did you disconnect the woofer from the crossover?

kfirsolomon

When you "bypassed the XO altogether and ran 20-1000Hz directly to the woofer" did you disconnect the woofer from the crossover?
Yap.
Two speaker lines from the amp to the woofer, with nothing else, inclusing XO, connected to the woofer (or the amp) at the same time.

Mudjock

Audio Company
The bass response is defined by a combination of the driver, cabinet, and room - assuming the amplifier is putting out a full range signal and the crossover isn't attenuating it. I think you have eliminated those two variables, so the next thing I would want to confirm is that the cabinet is acting as expected. I would do that by measuring impedance vs. frequency at least through the bass range. If you don't have impedance measuring capability, then a measurement of the output at the port would give a reasonable idea (compare with Amir's measurement).

Weeb Labs

In case this has not already been mentioned, the $14 Dayton Audio ND25FW tweeter used in these speakers has absolutely no business performing as well as it does.

Incredible value for money.

1637191149854.png

1637191464050.png

sheninat0r

Forum Donor
I just finished building a pair of these, and I'm suitably impressed by the sound for the size and cost. This was my first speaker project and first attempt at veneer, very happy with how they turned out!

I used the 0.22uF capacitor, added a dowel between the side panels, put a bit of stuffing in the cabinet, and recessed the woofer to make the front panel flush.

Attachments

• IMG_7448.JPG
    IMG_7448.JPG
    248.4 KB · Views: 331
  • IMG_7450.JPG
    IMG_7450.JPG
    277.8 KB · Views: 328

eddantes

I just finished building a pair of these, and I'm suitably impressed by the sound for the size and cost. This was my first speaker project and first attempt at veneer, very happy with how they turned out!

I used the 0.22uF capacitor, added a dowel between the side panels, put a bit of stuffing in the cabinet, and recessed the woofer to make the front panel flush.
Superb job on the veneer and construction!

Top Bottom