• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Paradigm Persona,

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
https://www.stereophile.com/content/paradigm-persona-5f-loudspeaker-measurements

Yep, much better than the B. Some retained energy between 4kHz-6kHz, but not bad, and a bit hot treble, but good for those who are older, and you can always use no toe-in.

Exactly right. I've heard it said that the Legacy SE have much of the clarity of the F3 and F5, but with a more coherent bass and less peeky highs. Has anyone managed to compare them? Legacy stuff is hard to get a hold of here in Canada.

Last edited:

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Yep, much better than the B. Some retained energy between 4kHz-6kHz, but not bad, and a bit hot treble, but good for those who are older, and you can always use no toe-in.
Yeah. It has its appeal but you gotta play with the toe-in.

Fone

I have some older Paradigm MiniMonitors. They have some minor "upgrades" to the crossovers.

This is an excellent bookshelf speaker at popular prices.

Don’t know about that model, but all three models Stereophile has reviewed/measured has shown very emphasized upper treble.

The only Stereophile review I can find is of the Paradigm Persona F5. And that review is very positive..... Atkinson (Stereophile) calls the farfield response of the Persona F5 "superbly flat."

The anomaly you refer to in the upper treble he says is "compensated for" as "the tweeter starts to become directional above 5kHz, which, he says, "will tend to compensate for the excess of on-axis energy in this region."

I'll continue to look for the other Stereophile reviews you refer to, though.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
The only Stereophile review I can find is of the Paradigm Persona F5. And that review is very positive..... Atkinson (Stereophile) calls the farfield response of the Persona F5 "superbly flat."

I'll continue to look for the other Stereophile reviews you refer to, though.
Google is your friend
https://www.stereophile.com/content/paradigm-prestige-95f-loudspeaker
https://www.stereophile.com/standloudspeakers/705paradigm/index.html
https://www.stereophile.com/standloudspeakers/597/index.html
https://www.stereophile.com/content/paradigm-reference-studio-20-v5-loudspeaker

Ah, yes.... but these aren't reviews of the PERSONA series!! (Persona "B", followed by "3F," "5F," "7F" and "9H.")

I was--FINALLY--able to find a place outside Toronto that had a Salon 2 set up (paired with Mark Levinson stuff). Very, very nice sound, indeed, particularly on well-recorded orchestral material like Eddie Daniels' version of Vivaldi's Four Seasons.

He was asking $30K Canadian for the Salons, which might be a tad high, even given the miserable state of our petro-dollar.

If--if only--these could be AB'd against the Personas, either the 7F or the mighty 9H. Of course, there'll be a huge difference;b ut I need to hear that difference, in the same room, with the same musical source material.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
If--if only--these could be AB'd against the Personas, either the 7F or the mighty 9H. Of course, there'll be a huge difference;b ut I need to hear that difference, in the same room, with the same musical source material.
Gonna take a mucho big wallet to arrange that listening session. ;)

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
During my visit to Harman last year, the Persona 3F and the Salon2 were in the blind test.

Well, I was kinda hoping I could find them side by side in the same shop. Although, if I could get them home, both of them, to test them out, that would be amazing.

That's not going to happen.

yyzsb

The "B" specs, yes, nothing to write home about.

I heard the 3F today, against the Yamaha NS-5000. My totally subjective evaluation was that the NS-5000 (which is more expensive than the 3F up here) was not competitive. I hadn't expected this. The Yamahas use a man-made material
that is both more rigid and lighter than beryllium in all three of its drivers.

Great post. As someone who was looking to buy either the Paradigm Persona 3F or Yamaha NS-5000 I found your negative opinion on the Yamaha interesting. Unfortunately for me the Yamaha is not available yet in the USA so I was looking at Canada as a place to get it. My dad who returned home to Toronto yesterday will head out to a north Toronto store to compare the 3F and NS-5000 (likely same store as you).

I have not been able to listen to the Persona 3F, since my local dealer here in Southern California only has the 5F. I liked the 5F a lot and this is why I have narrowed it down as a speaker to buy. My dilemma is if the 3F has too much bass for my very small home office room, it is 12'x11'x9'. Though I have removed a closet door and keep the room entrance door open. I have also treated the room with acoustic panels.

Can anyone chime in with an opinion whether the 3F is too big for such a small room? I believe if I use DSP, such as the Anthem STR preamp with ARC3, I can tame the speaker to fit into my room. In an optimal situation I would like to avoid DSP because I have 2 analog sources along with digital streaming. If I could stay all analog it would be ideal.

Yesterday I demoed the TAD Me1 monitor speaker and it will work well in my room without DSP but it is more expensive (priced raised again to $15K on Apr 1, 2019). The limited bass on the Me1 may work better by being reinforced by my room. If the bass on the 3F is not overbearing then that too would be reinforced by my room in a positive way. If it is overbearing then the room will make it worse.

I am not sure which speaker I liked better at the store, the TAD or Persona 5F, different stores and the demos were many months apart. So I will need to listen again. However, it would be useful to hear the opinions of the folks here who have heard the 3F and the suitability for a very small room.

BTW - I imagine the NS-5000 would be too big a speaker for my room without DSP.
BTW2 - I also owned the Revel Salon1 in a large room for several years and it was OK. I like the new speaker designs much more. The Salon could sometimes get boring.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

GTsmokeya84

Forum Donor
I got a pair of the Persona 3F and I am using them in a big room, like 16 by 20 give or take. Its not treated and I think they lack bass. I was told by my dealer to play with the placement and toe-in to adjust the bass. I feel like since I am use to Kef's the Paradigms feel bright to me. I am running it off a Emotiva XPA Gen 2 amp with 300 watts and audio envy wire. They are clear and revealing not too forgiving. I like them and so does my wife. We actually demo'd some Focal's and my wife hated the look of theirs speakers no matter the line up we tried the Paradigm and she looked at me and I knew she like them.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I got a pair of the Persona 3F and I am using them in a big room, like 16 by 20 give or take. Its not treated and I think they lack bass.
Pretty good sized room. Add some power and air to the bottom with at least a pair of quality subs and some good DSP software to integrate them into the towers.

yyzsb

Thanks for the Persona room size feedback. I was able to visit another store, this time only about 10 miles from my home that had the Persona 3F (in the new all Black color). I demoed it in a large room at the store and that did help me evaluate it for my needs. However, the local store is willing to let me take the 3F's home and demo them there. That way I can see if DSP is need. I have been told I would not need DSP.

Seeing as the Yamaha NS 5000 was mentioned in this thread and I also mentioned it. This upcoming Monday, I will have my dad go to a demo of the Persona 3F vs the Yamaha NS 5000 at the same store with the Anthem STR preamp (not sure what amp). I am 1000's of miles away and this store is only a few miles from my dad's home so he will serve as my proxy ears. The shop keeper likes the Yamaha over the 3F.

yyzsb

Interesting statement about DSP. A few local dealers were of the opposite opinion and recommended that I use it only as a last resort. I have a treated room (though small) and I will see with my home demo what the plan will be. I do know that if I get the Yamaha NS 5000 the bass in that will overwhelm my room without DSP.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Interesting statement about DSP. A few local dealers were of the opposite opinion and recommended that I use it only as a last resort. I have a treated room (though small) and I will see with my home demo what the plan will be. I do know that if I get the Yamaha NS 5000 the bass in that will overwhelm my room without DSP.
Expecting a dealer to have read real audio research is next to zero. :) Print this article I wrote a few years ago and show it them: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/subwoofer-low-frequency-optimization.15/

The physics of sound waves creates the problem and as such, it is always there. Treating the room in that domain is next to impossible.

Top Bottom