• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Paradigm Persona,

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Do you have a WAF test reference? I think that most people who use this term are really guessing at it and are really using their own assessments.

As she is walking past my computer, I ask her in a hopefully unbiased way "what do you think of these".

She usually pauses, looks at all the pictures, and gives me a nice simple go or no-go opinion. Then I tell her the price. She liked them but compared them to a new car...

:)

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
She liked them but compared them to a new car...

Having recently attended an Audio Show, and (unfortunately) also having acquired a New Car...

No contest.

Almost equivalent prices - car vs a pair of 2.5 meter cables, from the Signature Line (not the Ultra), some of which inhabited the Von Schweikert room at the show... Long cables, could buy a fleet of new cars, no doubt. Going by the sheath color (silvery) they were the Ultra cables - SINGLE RUN $23,000 - 2.5 Meter.

1551069650239.png

Versus:

1551070020604.png

Actually, local taxes on the cable's MSRP would make the total for them more expensive...

How many NCE* can you see in this small section of their display?

1551070813909.png

*NCE - New Car Equivalents

Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Having recently attended an Audio Show, and (unfortunately) also having acquired a New Car...
How nuts is that?
For a few feet of copper?
Get a rope!

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Shiny!

Keith

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Mighty purdy!
Is that the #3.5k each Persona B?

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
To be honest I am not quite sure what the SRP is, but it is the small Persona stand mount, they aren’t bad.
Keith

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
To be honest I am not quite sure what the SRP is, but it is the small Persona stand mount, they aren’t bad.
Keith
Yea, $3,500 each is what they are here.
TBH, I just can't imagine what they can put into 2 drivers, a crossover, + box to make them worth $7K a pair?
But's that's just me, the Cheapskate. ;)

vitalii427

Forum Donor
Yea, $3,500 each is what they are here.
TBH, I just can't imagine what they can put into 2 drivers, a crossover, + box to make them worth $7K a pair?
But's that's just me, the Cheapskate. ;)
Especially when you can have active 8c not for much more.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
The other one,

The U.K. importer also distributes the Anthem range, their new STr integrated looks quite interesting with the ARC room correction, looks pretty seamless, anyone using ARC?
Keith

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Spent a very pleasant afternoon listening to the Persona 9H, four bass drivers berylium mid/treble, Anthem pre/power and ARc correction, sounded pretty impressive .
The SRT range of amps are really neat, the ‘virtual’ Vu meters are cool.
Keith

I live in Toronto, not 20 miles from the Paradigm factory. But I've never liked their stuff; in fact, my last speaker (Neumann 310) was a German design, made in Ireland.

I put aside my prejudices and had a brief listen to the "7F" Persona. (I had to travel to the outer reaches of this increasingly BIG city to do that, because for some unknown reason you won't find this audiophile speaker anywhere downtown.) The treble and midrange were, what can I say, incredibly detailed. The ported bass was.... well.... a ported bass sound, which I've never liked, and which seemed to me in stark contrast to the very clear mids and highs. Semi-ported bass, that is, what are sometimes called "bass radiators", seem to me to sound faster and less coloured. But I stand to be corrected on that.

Anyway, Paradigm doesn't do that sort of speaker, I gather; although they do have a reputation for making very accurate sub-woofers.

I suppose the $$$$ of speakers in the audiophile "Persona" line has something to do with the fact that BOTH tweeter and midrange speakers are 99% beryllium. Very expensive to manufacture, so I'm told. The competition, I assume, are the illustrious Revel Salon 2s (and others like them), which unfortunately for Paradigm are quite a bit cheaper than the top-of-the-line Persona "9H" with ARC.

You can't just listen to the 9H, even in Toronto! Instead, Paradigm has ONE set of the 9H roaming from dealer to dealer across this enormous country. You have to wait your turn. So Canadian.

So I'll have to wait until this single set of 9Hs arrive at a dealer on the outskirts of Toronto (where they are made, incredibly) to actually listen to a pair!

That's insane, I think, as is the price.... 38k Can,or about 35k US. They better be good.

(Anecdotally: I'm certain my wife will find them ugly.)

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
You can't just listen to the 9H, even in Toronto! Instead, Paradigm has ONE set of the 9H roaming from dealer to dealer across this enormous country. You have to wait your turn. So Canadian.
:) I heard them at one of the audio shows when it came out. It is a clear step above the rest of the range.

noobie1

:) I heard them at one of the audio shows when it came out. It is a clear step above the rest of the range.

Same experience for me. 9’s were much better than the 7’s. Have not heard lower models in person.

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
They [Some models] don’t measure well at all (see below); I did however hear them very briefly at the Florida Audio Expo, and they sounded just as good as most of the speakers there. It’s hard to gauge performance unless you are doing strict A/B comparisons. I would say one would not be unhappy with them, but if you don’t care about looks, there are much better performers for the price.

https://www.soundstagenetwork.com/i...oudspeakers&catid=77:loudspeaker-measurements

Last edited:
The "B" specs, yes, nothing to write home about.

Re the "5F", however, Atkinson concludes: "The Paradigm Persona 5F's measured performance indicates textbook audio engineering.—John Atkinson "

I heard the 3F today, against the Yamaha NS-5000. My totally subjective evaluation was that the NS-5000 (which is more expensive than the 3F up here) was not competitive. I hadn't expected this. The Yamahas use a man-made material
that is both more rigid and lighter than beryllium in all three of its drivers.

I also listened to the 3F next to the Sopra 2s (BE tweeter), and although the 3F didn't have the bass extension, once again it was noticeably cleaner from the midrange up.

I'm not completely happy about the ported bass, which, relative to the absolutely precise mids and highs sounds a tad slow and coloured (Canadian spelling). This suggests that the 9H was conceived before the rest of the line; i.e., that ARC and the powered sub somehow improve the bass. I'm now obliged to wait until the 9H makes its way back to Toronto to make that assessment.

A friend of mine has a pair of Salon 2s. They better not exceed my expectations, those expectations being that a $35k (US) speaker, newly designed, has to sound better than an old $22k warhorse.

If that turns out not to be the case, it's the warhorse for me.

Top Bottom