• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Trying my first REW measurements - Paradigm 100b

wavetrade

par100b.jpg

First test is in red with sub on. Second in blue is with sub off. I have some studying to do to interpret what I am seeing. Curious if the graph looks decent? Also wondering if this indicates I have my sub volume about right? I am thinking perhaps another click up on the volume.

This is done with Paradigm 100b speakers, Audiophonix S600ncx amp, smsl DO300 dac and REL T5x sub. I am in a medium size room but fairly close to the speakers.

Appreciate any comments.

staticV3

Master Contributor
The graph looks good.

You could move the measurements up a bit so that they take up more of the available space. And I have a pet peeve against REW's dark mode, but that is personal preference :)

Agreed I would increase the sub volume a bit, then use EQ to chop off the two spikes at 42 and 85Hz.

OP
W

wavetrade

The graph looks good.

You could move the measurements up a bit so that they take up more of the available space. And I have a pet peeve against REW's dark mode, but that is personal preference :)

Agreed I would increase the sub volume a bit, then use EQ to chop off the two spikes at 42 and 85Hz.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I will follow your tips in any future posts. Also going to move on to EQ next, and am pretty excited about it. Just wish there was a way to apply EQ settings while using exclusive mode in tidal.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Just wish there was a way to apply EQ settings while using exclusive mode in tidal.
There is a way: use a DAC with built-in EQ.
Something like a miniDSP 2x4HD, Flex, or RME ADI-2 DAC.

OP
W

wavetrade

There is a way: use a DAC with built-in EQ.
Something like a miniDSP 2x4HD, Flex, or RME ADI-2 DAC.
I have been going around and round in my head about these choices. I would of already bought the RME ADI-2 if it had sub out and crossover capability. Really just need the crossover bit as I could use balanced outputs to the amp and rca to the sub. And I have also considered the Mini DSP products, and probably would of bought if the Flex were available on Amazon. I question if the DAC in the Mini DSP would keep me happy as I am one who believes I can hear small differences in dacs (I know what you think about this idea, LOL). I have also considered the digital version of the flex as I have plenty of dacs available. But this route seems overly complicated. I will get there one way or another. I have read enough posts from people that want the RME to do crossover that perhaps they will implement it soon.

staticV3

Master Contributor
I have been going around and round in my head about these choices. I would of already bought the RME ADI-2 if it had sub out and crossover capability. Really just need the crossover bit as I could use balanced outputs to the amp and rca to the sub. And I have also considered the Mini DSP products, and probably would of bought if the Flex were available on Amazon. I question if the DAC in the Mini DSP would keep me happy as I am one who believes I can hear small differences in dacs (I know what you think about this idea, LOL). I have also considered the digital version of the flex as I have plenty of dacs available. But this route seems overly complicated. I will get there one way or another. I have read enough posts from people that want the RME to do crossover that perhaps they will implement it soon.
I don't think the ADI-2 DAC can do a crossover, as it only has one stereo DAC. The ADI-2 PRO however can already do a crossover as it has two separate stereo DACs.

Regarding the Flex's DAC quality, perhaps you may be interested in the new HTx version: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/minidsp-flex-htx.49512/post-1779079

It has a much more versatile DSP than the RME, and both Balanced and RCA outputs so that you can use professional monitors and Amps alongside regular home theater subs.

OP
W

wavetrade

Thanks! That HTx flex is really something. Don't like how wide it is but the functionality is off the charts. Going to look into the ADI-2 Pro now.

Top Bottom