• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

PA5 operating temps observation

ampguy

Tonight I measured my PA5, not accurately, but crudely with an inexpensive IR -50 - 380 C unit off Amazon. The ambient temp in room was 68 deg F at 40% RH. After being off for several hours, measuring the surface, and through bottom and side vents measured about 69 deg F. Could be due to differences in thermometers or emissivity of the surface of the amp, but basically switched off, with PSU plugged in, amp is room temp. - case and insides.

After 30 minutes of playing music through Roon (Qobuz to Rpi4 bridge to SMSL D6 USB DAC) connecting TRS outputs to PA5, with DAC volume all the way up. temps raised about 10 deg F. through left rear vents on amp (facing the amp front). Right side and bottom (raised on 4 1" risers) raised about 6-8 deg. F. The beam angle of the IR thermometer is not known exactly, though there is a laser pointer for guide. Touching the L and R exterior vents did not feel noticeably warmer than powered off objects, so I believe I was measuring through the vents where the readings were higher than ambient. Volume on knob is at 9:00 O'clock position.

I have ordered a small USB AC Infinity 80mm fan from Amazon that I'll experiment with positioning to see if I can cool the rear left insides a bit as a preventative measure. I have no desire to open the amp, and this is as hot as it gets indoors in the summer. I do raise the volume knob higher, maybe up to noon, but I can't do that (at same DAC max output level) at this time, but may measure again with volume at noon when fan arrives.

Last edited:

Sokel

Master Contributor
My opinion is not to mess with it as far as it works.
Fan will put in a warm-colder-warm-colder cycle which may affect this potted modules as the op-amp joints inside may be in a constant motion.
Not for sure,but as long as we know the cause of failure a nice constant temp may be the best way to keep it alive.

(all of this is a maybe of course)

OP
A

ampguy

My opinion is not to mess with it as far as it works.
Fan will put in a warm-colder-warm-colder cycle which may affect this potted modules as the op-amp joints inside may be in a constant motion.
Not for sure,but as long as we know the cause of failure a nice constant temp may be the best way to keep it alive.

(all of this is a maybe of course)
Thanks. That is something to consider, as there may be a mechanical interaction with the potting material and solders. I'll still try reducing ambient temps with fan, but I understand what you're saying.

Top Bottom