• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Wiim Pro issues

DubZ

I've had my Wiim Pro for a day, and it has not exactly been smooth sailing!
Some background: I was using an Amazon Firestick connected to my Cambridge 752BD. While the 752BD was purchased in 2015, it still does the job and there was nothing about the sound that I didn't like (I am going to buy a newer DAC soon, but this isn't about the quality of the DAC). What I didn't like is that the Amazon Music app won't cast to an Amazon Firestick. So, enter the Wiim...
I connected it to the 752BD using the supplied optical cable. First up there was the occasional stutter in music playback. Wiim support helped me with that - the issue seems to have been that the Wiim was not connected to a 5G network and my phone was. Connecting the Wiim to another network was another drama since there's not a whole lot of help in the manual.
Anyway, with that resolved, and another issue related to my android phone which was stopping the next song on an album from being played when my phone went to the lock screen, also resolved, things seemed to be going smoothly. Or so it seemed.
After getting thru about 75% of Exile on Main Street with the phone on the lock screen, without a single stutter, the music just stopped in the middle of a song! WTF? I checked the Amazon Music app, which said the song was playing. Checked the Wiim Home app, which agreed. Powered the Cambridge on and off. Powered the Wiim on and off. Still no music. Finally noticed the volume slider had slid down to zero. How the hell does that happen? Anyway, a little while later the same thing happened and the slider was where I had left it. Again, WTF? There is another slider in the Amazon Music app, which I noticed is usually at zero without affecting the volume, so I played with it a bit and music started coming out of the speakers again. Might have been a co-incidence. I don't know.
I am now bypassing the Amazon Music app for the Wiim home app's interface, which isn't as user friendly, but I got through all of Exile without a glitch! Does anyone know how the Amazon Music app casts to the Wiim? Is it with Chromecast? I was thinking about disabling that.
Now, about the volume control - I tried to disable the volume control (set "fixed volume output" to "on"), but the music is ear-splittingly loud with the pre-amp volume control at about 3/10. This wasn't the case with the Firestick, with which I could go past 7/10. My pre-amp's volume knob has discrete increments, so it's important that I can turn it up past 3/10 or one increment makes a huge difference. So I have to set the volume on the Wiim to about 60-70%. Does anyone know why it is so loud? I'd rather set it to fixed volume and not have to worry about the volume slider, but I can't. I read somewhere that the Wiim is only "bitperfect" with fixed volume output and EQ off but I doubt I'm going to hear the difference, even if that's the case.
To be honest I expected this to be a bit easier than it has been. Anyway, after a fair bit of aggravation, it seems to be working now. Touch wood. I'm not the sort of person who really likes to mess around with gadgets. I just want to listen to music, and I'm not an "audiophile" so I don't hear differences that aren't there. Does the Wiim sound better than the Firestick? Nope. Maybe it will when I buy a new DAC.

staticV3

Master Contributor
So I have to set the volume on the Wiim to about 60-70%. Does anyone know why it is so loud?
Most likely, because the WiiM with volume control turned off, is actually outputting the tracks' volume 1:1 (many of which are mastered to -.5dBFS Peak), and the Firestick is not.

Can't really blame the WiiM for being too loud with volume control turned off. It's just doing what it says on the box (bit-perfect playback) and what you have is a classic case of gain mismatch.

Though the WiiM definitely can be blamed for overall lack of stability and features.

OP
D

DubZ

Ugh with Chromecast disabled I can't see the Wiim in my cast device list in the Amazon Music app. So i guess i was casting using chomecast. I'm logged into my Amazon account and can play music from the WiiM Home app. The Wiim is listed in the devices in the Alexa App. Luckily my hair is too short to pull out. Anyway, waiting for support to get back to me again :(
It's all well and good to have bit perfect playback (assuming you can turn the volume control off) but I'd just like some ease of use

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Ugh with Chromecast disabled I can't see the Wiim in my cast device list in the Amazon Music app. So i guess i was casting using chomecast. I'm logged into my Amazon account and can play music from the WiiM Home app. The Wiim is listed in the devices in the Alexa App. Luckily my hair is too short to pull out. Anyway, waiting for support to get back to me again :(
It's all well and good to have bit perfect playback (assuming you can turn the volume control off) but I'd just like some ease of use
Have you enabled alexa on the wiim?

With alexa activated and chromecast activated, when you look on the amazon music app, which icons do you see for the Wiim.? I suspect (can't test as only have the mini) that you'll see 2 wiim pros. One with the Chromecast icon and one with the alexa cast icon (see my mini on screen shot)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230805-121601.png
    Screenshot_20230805-121601.png
    151 KB · Views: 110
OP
D

DubZ

Regarding:

You’ve lost me there. You can get the Amazon music app ON the Firestick.

Am I missing something?
Sorry, I should have said you can't cast from the Amazon Music app on an Android Phone to the Firestick. I have to use the Amazon Fire TV remote control app on my phone and use the TV as the display, or use the remote that comes with the Firestick, which is painfull

OP
D

DubZ

Have you enabled alexa on the wiim?

With alexa activated and chromecast activated, when you look on the amazon music app, which icons do you see for the Wiim.? I suspect (can't test as only have the mini) that you'll see 2 wiim pros. One with the Chromecast icon and one with the alexa cast icon (see my mini on screen shot)
I see just the one with the chromecast icon

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I see just the one with the chromecast icon
Enable alexa on both the Wiim and your android app for amazon music. Should come up as an alexa cast device then.

OP
D

DubZ

Thanks for your reply. Alexa is already enabled on my WiiM Pro and I can tell Alexa to play music in the Amazon Music app, but the option to cast to the Wiim Pro is not there in the cast to devices list in the Amazon Music app. The WiiM is listed in "devices" in my Alexa app. I can cast to neither the Fire TV nor the WiiM. I know the former is not supported but I thought the WiiM was.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230806_160341_Amazon Alexa.jpg
    Screenshot_20230806_160341_Amazon Alexa.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 57
  • Screenshot_20230806_130102_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20230806_130102_Samsung Internet.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 87
OP
D

DubZ

Anyway thanks to those who have offered advice. I'm about ready to give up because I've wasted enough of my time and other people's, and the WiiM Home app isn't appalling - it's better than using a remote to control a Firestick! It just bugs the hell out of me that I can't find a solution and it's probably something simple!
I've got requests in with Wiim support and Amazon support, so if one of them comes thru with a solution, I'll post it here

OP
D

DubZ

Lazy I guess. The Firestick is pretty good but I don't like having to use the tv as the display. Often my remote app can't find the device and I have to reboot it, which annoys me too

Yorkshire Mouth

Major Contributor
Lazy I guess. The Firestick is pretty good but I don't like having to use the tv as the display. Often my remote app can't find the device and I have to reboot it, which annoys me too

For me, I believe the future of hi-fi - if there is to be a future - is to contain an element of the visual. Particularly, to try to replicate/negate/surpass the advantage of a 12” album gatefold sleeve.

You might not be able to hold a stream/download in your hands. But you can display artwork/lyrics/booklet content on a 55”/65”/75” screen while you’re listening.

Preferring a smartphone display to a TV display is anathema to me, though I appreciate you may differ.

OP
D

DubZ

Thank you to everyone for their help. It was not a WiiM issue but my Amazon account was messed up.

In case it is of any use to anyone in the future, the problem was that my default amazon store is amazon.com.au, but I was being directed to amazon.com to manage my devices. In my defence, I thought that's how Amazon must have implemented it. I only became aware that that might not be the case when I saw the Fire TV on both the amazon.com store and amazon.com.au with different registration dates (after I re-registered the device to see what would happen). Anyway, I was on the support chat for a while, but Amazon Support moved everything over to amazon.com.au and I am now able to use alexacast to control the WiiM from the Amazon Music App. Not only that but I can cast to the Fire TV stick. The latest information I found online was that Fire TV was not supported but apparently it now is, or maybe it always was.

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
It's a common issue unfortunately. Amazon Music app doesn't try to recognize which domain you use for your Alexa devices and is looking for them based on its own rule.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Thank you to everyone for their help. It was not a WiiM issue but my Amazon account was messed up.

In case it is of any use to anyone in the future, the problem was that my default amazon store is amazon.com.au, but I was being directed to amazon.com to manage my devices. In my defence, I thought that's how Amazon must have implemented it. I only became aware that that might not be the case when I saw the Fire TV on both the amazon.com store and amazon.com.au with different registration dates (after I re-registered the device to see what would happen). Anyway, I was on the support chat for a while, but Amazon Support moved everything over to amazon.com.au and I am now able to use alexacast to control the WiiM from the Amazon Music App. Not only that but I can cast to the Fire TV stick. The latest information I found online was that Fire TV was not supported but apparently it now is, or maybe it always was.
This is excellent to know, thanks for being the guinea pig. In my testing of the Wiim Pro (and I now use it regularly), I ran into zero issues using it for Amazon HD (the setup and use were FAR easier than BluOS) so couldn't understand why you were having problems.

Your persistence is appreciated.

BrooklynNick

I'm having a strange issue with volume using Wiim Pro. I filed a ticket with Wiim, but did not hear back.

Previously, I had a Mac running Roon with the USB output connected to a Topping D90LE -> Topping A90 Discrete. I was using my DCA Expanse headphones with the A90 volume set to about 65.

Now, I'm using the Wiim Pro, with the *identical* Roon setting. I have the Wiim connected to a Topping D90LE via coax (I also tried optical). The A90 needs to be at 99% and it is still not as loud as my old setup was at 65%.

So, I turned off Headroom Management in Roon and I changed the D90LE to use 5V mode. That helped a lot, but for some music, I still can't get it loud enough. I listen at pretty moderate levels.

The Wiim is configured as follows:
EQ = Off
Fixed volume output = On
Volume limit = 100%
MQA = Off

I'm not understanding why there is any volume difference between these two setups. Any ideas?

Top Bottom