• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Wiim Pro issues

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm having a strange issue with volume using Wiim Pro. I filed a ticket with Wiim, but did not hear back.

Previously, I had a Mac running Roon with the USB output connected to a Topping D90LE -> Topping A90 Discrete. I was using my DCA Expanse headphones with the A90 volume set to about 65.

Now, I'm using the Wiim Pro, with the *identical* Roon setting. I have the Wiim connected to a Topping D90LE via coax (I also tried optical). The A90 needs to be at 99% and it is still not as loud as my old setup was at 65%.

So, I turned off Headroom Management in Roon and I changed the D90LE to use 5V mode. That helped a lot, but for some music, I still can't get it loud enough. I listen at pretty moderate levels.

The Wiim is configured as follows:
EQ = Off
Fixed volume output = On
Volume limit = 100%
MQA = Off

I'm not understanding why there is any volume difference between these two setups. Any ideas?
Have you managed to accidentally switch on replay gain /volume levelling in Roon? I think it's an end point specific setting, not global across all devices using Roon.

BrooklynNick

I had a thought that it might be an issue with Wiim's implementation of the Roon RAAT protocol. So I switched it to Airplay, but the volume was unchanged.

Nutul

I cannot say this is true for every device out there, but I for one experience that the USB input in my DAC (Eversolo Z8) produces far higher output than its coaxial / optical inputs do.
As you said the laptop was connected via USB, and now the Wiim is via coaxial...

staticV3

Master Contributor
I cannot say this is true for every device out there, but I for one experience that the USB input in my DAC (Eversolo Z8) produces far higher output than its coaxial / optical inputs do.
As you said the laptop was connected via USB, and now the Wiim is via coaxial...
That's a bit strange. Amir's measurements of the Z8 show identical output volume with USB and Toslink:
zidoo EverSolo DAC-Z8 Balanced DAC Stereo Jitter Measurements.png

Are you sure that you're sending the exact same data via both ports?
Have you tried measuring the output voltage with a multimeter? (A cheap $15 one will do)

Nutul

Are you sure that you're sending the exact same data via both ports?

No, I am not. Indeed my Pi4 with moOde enters the Z8 via USB, while my Sony Bravia TV does via optical.

I did expect a difference, though not so big - need to have the volume a good 20dB higher to achieve the same "sound pressure", if you allow me the term... ;-)

BrooklynNick

I'm having a strange issue with volume using Wiim Pro. I filed a ticket with Wiim, but did not hear back.

Previously, I had a Mac running Roon with the USB output connected to a Topping D90LE -> Topping A90 Discrete. I was using my DCA Expanse headphones with the A90 volume set to about 65.

Now, I'm using the Wiim Pro, with the *identical* Roon setting. I have the Wiim connected to a Topping D90LE via coax (I also tried optical). The A90 needs to be at 99% and it is still not as loud as my old setup was at 65%.

So, I turned off Headroom Management in Roon and I changed the D90LE to use 5V mode. That helped a lot, but for some music, I still can't get it loud enough. I listen at pretty moderate levels.

The Wiim is configured as follows:
EQ = Off
Fixed volume output = On
Volume limit = 100%
MQA = Off

I'm not understanding why there is any volume difference between these two setups. Any ideas?

So I never figured out this issue. However, I tried replacing the Topping D90LE -> Topping A90 Discrete part of the chain with my Benchmark DAC-1 HDR and the problem went away. Volume is now at ~55% even with a -3dB "Headroom Adjustment" in Roon and the -10dB jumper set in the Benchmark. It sure seems like there is an issue with the D90 optical/coax inputs. Perhaps it is an issue specific to the D90+Wiim combination, but that seems unlikely to me.

Subjectively, I would say that my DCA Expanse headphones sound much better with the Benchmark than they did with the A90 set to 95% volume.

LtMandella

Anyway thanks to those who have offered advice. I'm about ready to give up because I've wasted enough of my time and other people's, and the WiiM Home app isn't appalling - it's better than using a remote to control a Firestick! It just bugs the hell out of me that I can't find a solution and it's probably something simple!
I've got requests in with Wiim support and Amazon support, so if one of them comes thru with a solution, I'll post it here
I gave up on Amazon music. The Amazon music app team has never been very interested in hi-res or support for typical features such as full implementation of windoz exclusive mode. I dumped Amazon music and am much happier with TIDAL CD quality at $10/month.

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Has anyone else found the Wiim Pro to be erratic when you use it with Roon? If I play using Roon and Airplay, all seems fine. But if I don't use Airplay I get dropouts, or the music will stop and the play queue is lost, or Roon cannot find the device. This happens even if I force Roon to stream at 16/44, same as Airplay.

I hate this kind of problem where I don't know if the problem is with the Wiim Pro, Roon, or my network, so I don't have much appetite to do troubleshooting. I am happy using the Airplay option so will probably just do that and periodically check whether some update has fixed the issue.

Top Bottom