• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Opinions on Yamaha A6A with power amp

OP
C

cgardnerma

Gotcha. Two things to think about though... One is that Odyssey now has some sort of add-on programming that you can buy. That is much much more flexible. Look into it. And the deer act is supposed to be better in many respects than Odyssey as well. In fact, you can run them together. Worth checking into before you make a purchase for sure
I actually paid for the app. You're right, it adds a lot. Especially the ability to limit the correction to only a certain frequency range. That's a big deal.

OP
C

cgardnerma

you have more channels than speakers - 9 speakers vs 16 amplified channels. I would separate LCR on the Emotiva or the Yamaha and see which one you like better.

You'll clearly bi-amp your LR cause there's no point in not doing so unless you have bookshelves or just 1 binding post. I suspect you'll choose the Emotiva because of the toroidal but I'm curious to see which one you prefer.
Interesting. I didn't think about bi-amping. I have always thought it was useless for amps that share the same power supply, since they all sag in unison. But I have never tried it! I will for sure!

OP
C

cgardnerma

last time I heard about it, it said you can’t run them together… we’ll have to wait and see.

Yes the Yahama is in some ways more flexible in EQ use, but that may just be on the surface. It has a limited number of configurable PEQ’s per channel (per channel only via a workaround), which may seem to give flexibility. With Audyssey and Dirac you have however much more control over the final result, because they can use more corrections due to FIR filtering. It’s just a bit different concept to get used to.

And no, you didn’t ask, but at ASR, you sometimes get free unwanted advice ;) Take it or leave it.
Hah! I always welcome unwanted advice. That's why I am here. :)

Sipping1s&0s

@cgardnerma nice setup. I wish I have the same problems liked yours. ;)

I'm going to assume all the speakers are the same or are timbre matching.

You've the Denon setup right with the external amp. The LCR would ideal be matched with the same speakers and the sonic from the external amp.

Listen to test tone and see what you like better.

I have mine calibrated and manually fine tune the loudness of the speakers.

Have fun!

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For YPAO, make sure you turn on the multi angle mode with the tripod. It’s usually default off but is essential.

Then try the DSP modes like Surround AI, Sci-Fi, and Enhanced.

OP
C

cgardnerma

For YPAO, make sure you turn on the multi angle mode with the tripod. It’s usually default off but is essential.

Then try the DSP modes like Surround AI, Sci-Fi, and Enhanced.
I used the tripod and did the multi-angle measurements. I am pretty impressed with YPAO RSC in general. It's the first time I have used room correction and actually liked how it sounds for the most part. So far I like using YPAO low frequency mode the best. I copy it to a manual slot (which copies the underlying FIR/RSC filters) and then tweak the PEQ manually using REW. It's what I hoped it to be.

ijhammo

I used the tripod and did the multi-angle measurements. I am pretty impressed with YPAO RSC in general. It's the first time I have used room correction and actually liked how it sounds for the most part. So far I like using YPAO low frequency mode the best. I copy it to a manual slot (which copies the underlying FIR/RSC filters) and then tweak the PEQ manually using REW. It's what I hoped it to be.
This thread was an awesome find as I have the same AVR and am looking at Power Amp options so I can go full 11 channel. I am debating whether to offload the L&R to something like the Emotiva BasX A2 (or 3 if I do LCR) or leaving the LCR on the A6A and offloading the the rear heights to something like the IOTAVX PA3. I am using Dynaudio speakers all round (Evoke 20's front, 25C centre, 10s surrounds, P4-W65 pro-install rears, and P4-C65 for the Atmos)

What route did you go in the end? I suspect your Emotiva has a bit more oomph than the BasX A2/3 - i am torn on what to do

Re the lack of bass PEQ channels on the A6A - I fixed it by using Arendal 1723 subs that have 7 channel PEQ giving me 11 channels of sub tweakiness :-D

Last edited:

rana_kirti

op, waiting on your observations on 3800 vs A6A for 2 channel music.

though I feel the denon will be no match for the Yamaha.

Top Bottom