• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which Amplifier Setup for Music: Yamaha A2A Internal Amp vs. Yamaha M4 Power amp

Yamahahaha

I recently purchased a Yamaha A2A receiver to act as a pre-amp for music in my large weird room, but I have a Yamaha M4 Power amp here as well. Should I use the A2A as a preamp and the M4 as a power amp OR should I just run my setup straight from the A2A. Its currently a 2.1 setup for music exclusively. My question is whether the newer internal A2A amp is better than the older M4.

Current Speakers: 2x Yamaha NS-A636 (inherited from inlaws, saving for better speakers)
Room: 25ft cathedral ceilings, weird shape with offshoots and a loft. Doesn't sound that bad actually.

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
My question is whether the newer internal A2A amp is better than the older M4.
No. If anything the M-4 is cleaner and slightly more powerful. That being said, there's not too much in it, and your speakers are super basic / cheap (2-capacitor crossover, yay). I don't see much of a pointing in gilding the lily under these circumstances.

OP
Y

Yamahahaha

No. If anything the M-4 is cleaner and slightly more powerful. That being said, there's not too much in it, and your speakers are super basic / cheap (2-capacitor crossover, yay). I don't see much of a pointing in gilding the lily under these circumstances.
Fair point. In that case I’ll probably keep the M4 hooked up and make sure to purchase something nicer on the speaker front.

Top Bottom