• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

OLED - Sony or LG,

OP
S

Slayer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
FYI, Amazon has the Sony for $1,352.73
Cheapest I have seen on Amazon is $1449. Sold by and ships from another seller. So, I don't like taking extra chances on large items such as TV's.
Whichever I decide, will need to available locally. I did find one Sony left at a BB on the other end of town. Was told it was new, but the way the box looked, I didn't want to take a chance.
From what the store manager told me Saturday, it does look like theymay clearing out the sony A80J, and it seems members may get some good deals coming up.
While I don't really want to wait, if the half crypted details I am being giving are true, it may be worth the wait. With getting an additional 10-15% discount, this would allow me to jump up to the 77'' and that would be very much worth the wait.

woofersus

Audio Company
New models are introduced early in the year and then fall throughout for the most part. (crazy supply issues notwithstanding) IIRC the low points on last year's models were Prime day and Black Friday until you got into closeouts in Jan/Feb and those can be hit or miss. It DOES seem like large retailers having excess inventory right now is fueling some decent deals but I'd probably give it just a few weeks if I were looking to buy and jump on something in July.

FWIW I bought my last 2 tv's on Amazon and exchanged one due to some image issues and the process was super painless. I was a little nervous with my OLED just because people talk all the time about the "panel lottery" but what I received was obviously not previously opened and it was flawless. I suspect the actual rate of issues is actually pretty low and it just feels common because online communities point out every one a member experiences. Anyway, I understand the desire to buy local but I thought I'd share my experience.

OP
S

Slayer

Just a little update to my quandary.
I was leaning towards the Sony A80J. However, after doing more research and checking out everything I possibly could. The Sony is no longer on sale. Good thing or bad thing, now i'm not sure. After finally getting a best buy tech to open up honestly to me about both tv's. It seems (in our location that is) the LG has about 4.5% return rate and surprisingly, the Sony has a 17% return rate (a little shocked it was that high). So this makes me have second thoughts on the Sony for if and when they go on sale, and if they even get in more stock.
I will of course keep checking sales, (maybe Fathers day sale?), but odds are I may be stuck waiting till the 4th of July sales. But I will let you all know what I end up with one way or the other.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Just a little update to my quandary.
I was leaning towards the Sony A80J. However, after doing more research and checking out everything I possibly could. The Sony is no longer on sale. Good thing or bad thing, now i'm not sure. After finally getting a best buy tech to open up honestly to me about both tv's. It seems (in our location that is) the LG has about 4.5% return rate and surprisingly, the Sony has a 17% return rate (a little shocked it was that high). So this makes me have second thoughts on the Sony for if and when they go on sale, and if they even get in more stock.
I will of course keep checking sales, (maybe Fathers day sale?), but odds are I may be stuck waiting till the 4th of July sales. But I will let you all know what I end up with one way or the other.
What do you think is the cause of the return rate, particularly on Sony? I doubt the defect rate is more than 1%.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Okay, so the first experience was a bit frustrating :facepalm:

Just swapped out the old LCD for the new OLED. One strange thing is that the power cable is attached. That’s a bit inconvenient if you need to thread the cable. Still have to check the manual for options.

Eventually hooked it all up: ATV > SR6010 > G1. Turned it on: “No signal”. Switched HDMI port: the same. I did get an image for a few seconds, then nothing.

Eventually I found that disabling deep color fixed the issue. So the real issue turns out to be the HDMI cables not having enough bandwidth.. So I’ll order a few new ones.

Meanwhile used the build in streaming apps to view a few flicks: it looks really amazing! Especially HDR content! Twinkling lights in a dark scene are really something compared to the old Panasonic LCD.

Last edited:

raif71

Major Contributor

Just swapped out the old LCD for the new OLED. One strange thing is that the power cable is attached. That’s a bit inconvenient if you need to thread the cable. Still have to check the manual for options.

Eventually hooked it all up: ATV > SR6010 > G1. Turned it on: “No signal”. Switched HDMI port: the same. I did get an image for a few seconds, then nothing.

Eventually I found that disabling deep color fixed the issue. So the real issue turns out to be the HDMI cables not having enough bandwidth.. So I’ll order a few new ones.

Meanwhile used the build in streaming apps to view a few flicks: it looks really amazing! Especially HDR content! Twinkling lights in a dark scene are really something compared to the old Panasonic LCD.
I see that cables matter :)

Chrise36

Major Contributor

Ok when you have accustomed to the tv can you test a scene famous for stutter from The Irishman?

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

How long is your cable run? If it's much over 10 feet consider getting an optical cable. I'm getting perfect results at 50' from the Monoprice 8k SlimRun's

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Watch Encanto, it really really shows how good OLEDs are in comparision. Hope you also have thick curtains in the room because it can be dim when a room is well lit by the sun and it's pretty much day all day till summer ends so...

OP
S

Slayer

Watch Encanto, it really really shows how good OLEDs are in comparision. Hope you also have thick curtains in the room because it can be dim when a room is well lit by the sun and it's pretty much day all day till summer ends so...
The daytime viewing with lots of sunshine is the only thing that concerns me about OLED.
I went back down to Best Buy last night looking at the tv's and stock availability. Man, I can't believe i'm saying this, but the Hisense U7G led has a really good picture even with all the lights going. When they were turning off the lights in the tv section, the U7G stood out even more. It looked better than the twice or more, expensive Samsung and Sony's. I'm almost glad they didn't have any at that particular location because I may have jumped on it.
But, you're right, when it's a darker environment, there is just something special about OLED tv's, especially the new generation of sets. The realism as far as a tv goes, is astonishing.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
there is just something special about OLED tv's, especially the new generation of sets. The realism as far as a tv goes, is astonishing.

Yes the color is more accurate and more uniform because of the way OLED works. It's not just the true blacks.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I have done some daytime viewing today. I have only indirect lighting on the TV, and for casual viewing it’s more then good enough. I think it’s actually brighter than the old TV. If needed I can close some roller shutters to make the room darker.

Had some more struggles today: could not get Atmos working with the native apps. It’s stuck at DD+. Found some stuff to test out to fix it, will try later. No viewing complaints though :)

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have done some daytime viewing today. I have only indirect lighting on the TV, and for casual viewing it’s more then good enough. I think it’s actually brighter than the old TV. If needed I can close some roller shutters to make the room darker.

Had some more struggles today: could not get Atmos working with the native apps. It’s stuck at DD+. Found some stuff to test out to fix it, will try later. No viewing complaints though :)
Your model has like 20% higher peak brightness than my model (GX) so that boost might have been just enough, but for me the day light can sometimes be too much, but in my room an entire wall is a window and i don't have curtains (yet, changed my mind cause global warming).

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Your model has like 20% higher peak brightness than my model (GX) so that boost might have been just enough, but for me the day light can sometimes be too much, but in my room an entire wall is a window and i don't have curtains (yet, changed my mind cause global warming).
Well, I have one massive window as well, but it never gets the full sun, that helps a lot. I really dislike curtains, so I won’t get any, even against global warming ;)

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, I have one massive window as well, but it never gets the full sun, that helps a lot. I really dislike curtains, so I won’t get any, even against global warming ;)
Yesterday all I was thinking of was that i should have gone to the curtains place sooner lol. I will probably make a thread with before and after measurements (accoustically) just because of how much the curtains will cover. Should be interesting.

OP
S

Slayer

Yes the color is more accurate and more uniform because of the way OLED works. It's not just the true blacks.
As far as color accuracy goes, todays sets OLED and TOTL Qd LED can have the same color accuracy, especially after calibration.
With Led being able to get brighter, which can also make the colors more vibrant, some say more three dimensional (not sure if i agree on that point yet).
OLED's have two advantages, but these are big advantages in my book. Due to each pixel being it's own source of light, it has better contrast, and as they say, blacks are black, either the pixel is on or off. But even the best OLED's I have viewed still have some black crushing, which cause it to lose in shadow and grey detail. But, Damn they still look good.
When I started my quest for going down the path of OLED, I emailed LG sometime back. They told me, "Todays OLED panels Pixel lifespan was 5hrs a day for something like 50yrs or 10hrs a day for 25yrs before there was Up-To a 50% decrease in brightness. So, can't really ask for much more than that.
To me at this stage, the only advantage for LED is brightness, grey scaling (shadow detail) and pricing. I think if and when OLED finds another Organic emitting light diode material compound (i'm confident it will happen) which is capable of more brightness and a decent lifespan, the led or Qled tv market will just die off.
Regardless, most consumers today don't realize how lucky we are when it comes to the quality of audio and video achievements and choices we currently have. It's almost hard to believe as far as video goes, it will probably get even better.

It's really unfortunate that we seem to also be living in a time where so many want to focus on the little things which only cause division, instead of enjoying life and realizing just how lucky we are and how good we actually have it.
Oops, sorry for the long post. Happy Fathers day to all the fathers. Time for me to start throwing the meat on the grill.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I come from the Plasma camp (Panasonics and last of the LG plasmas).
All I had wanted was a dumb-4K OLED monitor but no such consumer product exists in the market.:(
Having never owned an LCD TV, decision to go w/an LG GX OLED was a no-brainer for me.

The LG 'Magic Remote' is about the most useful remote/pointer I've used. (ymmv)
The LG webOS interface with the built-in apps are quite easy to navigate. For example, the Netflix app is a single-button affair. Navigating within streaming movies becomes less complex. (imo)
OLED burn-in prevention has become hi-tech and big concern, since the days of plasma displays. Burn-in has probably become a non-issue, especially considering the fact that by the time of its onset, you will be asking the same question about what your next display technology should be (<== 4 years).;)

The latest buzzword has become "8K": OLED or otherwise. We can argue if we've reached the point-of-diminishing-returns of hardware-based display technology before some new leap or paradigm shift occurs.
In the mean time, Samsung has shown their first quantum-dot/matrix QD OLED TV at CES 2022, which provides better contrast/detail/view-angles.
Not to be outdone at CES 2022, LG announced all-new OLED EX TVs, which are the next evolution of its OLED Evo display and promise to be its brightest yet. [Just add some deuterium for +30% brighter!]
Since the introduction of non-CRT TVs, the manufacturers have intentionally assaulted consumers with so many confusing acronyms/abbreviations!:mad:
I don't know if it is Samsung that started the whole mess but have you ever tried to explain to someone what an LED-LCD really means or that OrganicLED does not mean that it will give you foot fungus?
Now there is "MiniLED" and "MicroLED" that are said to provide us w/superb contrast and detail. [wutevr!]

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
To me at this stage, the only advantage for LED is brightness, grey scaling (shadow detail) and pricing.
You seem to be forgetting the big one, Burn-In.
I could destroy a OLED within a year with my types of usage.
Many want to phoo phoo that fact but there are plenty of sad stories on the net from owners that didn't realize there are things you just shouldn't do with OLEDs. Like use them as a computer monitor.

OP
S

Slayer

OLED burn-in prevention has become hi-tech and big concern, since the days of plasma displays. Burn-in has probably become a non-issue, especially considering the fact that by the time of its onset, you will be asking the same question about what your next display technology should be (<== 4 years).;)
You seem to be forgetting the big one, Burn-In.
Burn-in is somewhat a concern as I briefly discussed early on in this thread.
Talking with customers and techs, seems to be a 50/50 of opinions. I hear the same thing burn-in is not a solved issue, while on the flip side I hear with new anti burn-in features it's nothing to worry about.
So I do think anyone owning an OLED whether it be a new set or not, should probably be overly cautious with their viewing habits. Which does kind of suck, when you spend that kind of money on a TV, most people don't want to worry about all those extra precautions one should probably take just to be on the safe side. Folks would feel a whole lot more comfortable if these sets offered a five year warranty. Wishful thinking I know.

Top Bottom