• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New OLED Samsung S95B vs Sony A80K

art3mis

Need some buying advice after spending a day watching YouTube reviews. My 12 yr old Panny plasma is past its expiry date so in the market for an Oled.
After initial searching narrowed my choice to the Samsung S95B or the Sony A80K which my local Best Buy has on sale. I don't think the extra $1000 premium for the newer Samsung A95C is worth it.
I work in the vfx industry and have a background as photographer filmmaker so color picture accuracy is paramount. I’ve read that in general Samsung over saturates their colors. With the latest firmware update in Filmmaker Mode has this been resolved?
The other issue less important is the very poor UI that Samsung has.
Can any owners of either tv suggest other reasons to buy one over the other?
Also is the BestBuy extended warranty a good idea? 4 years peace of mind for an additional $200?
Thanks!

Snoopy

Major Contributor
I think Samsung still offers no Dolby vision . And their OLED+ TVs are still Quantum Dot TVs.

If you want colour accuracy I would get a Panasonic/Sony/LG OLED

Moonhead

Here you go mate!

OP
A

art3mis

Thanks guys. Re Dolby Vision, technically is SHOULD result in better (ie extended) dynamic range but from what I understand it's more of a marketing thing. Correct me if I'm wrong but content mastered for Dolby vision might even appear a bit darker than when viewed using a HDR10 capable display because of the way the highlites are handled.

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Extended warranties are a complete waste of money.

I would choose either this or last year’s TVs models, since you can get great deals from last year’s models.

Here's all the TV's from this and last year's that are OLED (WOLED and QD-OLED):
There are 13 models.

I would first narrow down what size of TV that you want, since that will eliminate a lot of options.
Then start comparing different TV's against each other.

By the way, if colour accuracy is more important than other features, then the QD-OLEDs (Samsung or Sony) have the best DCI P3 and REC 2020 colour accuracy vs WOLED models.

Last edited:
I have the S95B, it has a great looking picture.

Top Bottom