• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

OLED - Sony or LG,

Chrise36

Major Contributor
Burn-in is somewhat a concern as I briefly discussed early on in this thread.
Talking with customers and techs, seems to be a 50/50 of opinions. I hear the same thing burn-in is not a solved issue, while on the flip side I hear with new anti burn-in features it's nothing to worry about.
So I do think anyone owning an OLED whether it be a new set or not, should probably be overly cautious with their viewing habits. Which does kind of suck, when you spend that kind of money on a TV, most people don't want to worry about all those extra precautions one should probably take just to be on the safe side. Folks would feel a whole lot more comfortable if these sets offered a five year warranty. Wishful thinking I know.
Sony is offering a 5 year warranty in Europe

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

tktran303

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I have an LG OLED from 2014.

Still going strong. No burn in.

Complainers are over-represented on the Internet. Thousands of people who don’t Have problems just get on with life.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I have an LG OLED from 2014.
Still going strong. No burn in.

Complainers are over-represented on the Internet. Thousands of people who don’t Have problems just get on with life.

No need to be so defensive, it just depends on how you use them.
The fact is they will get burn-in IF your use includes lots of time producing static images.
The best position would be an informed public buying the set that best fits their needs.
I see the problem as more like a cover-up with manufacturers not being 100% honest with buyers and ending up
with upset owners screaming on the internet. Honesty could prevent much of this.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This OLED "burn-in" discussion seems to be getting more subjective than objective and we all [should] know better.
I must admit I be no expert, but it appears that we have gotten to the point, where subjective experts are talking of "ESS hump".
I have owned a total of four plasma/oled TVs and none have given me any problems but does not mean they are trouble-free.
202206_Wolf.jpg
However, burn-in is not 'the wolf' anymore >> just a 'sheep'!

*One evidence is the fact that LG OLED display goes thru some burn-in 'management' duties once the monitor is turned off; in addition to pixel (bit) shifting and other background prevention functions while it is operating... If we watch our LG GX for LESS than a few hours, using the remote power button turns the TV fully OFF. However, if the set is actively being used for MORE than those few hours, the monitor turns OFF but the TV stays ON for about 5 more minutes, doing the burn-in mitigation thingy [<< what ever that (or those) maybe:facepalm:].
*Manufacturers have also worked with TV/Movie production industry to not keep stationary objects on the 'screen' for long durations (like the station identifiers, logos , etc.)
*My mindset was that OLED monitors would be quite troublesome for use as a PC monitor, but there are at least four manufacturers who are slating some of their OLED displays for PC monitor use by gamers. One such 42" LG monitor had a $3999.99USD price tag on it few weeks ago. I asked about this OLED 'burn-in' issue, especially when used as a desktop display and the zit-face kid gave me sum bs line that made no sense...

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Each their own.
I'm in the market right now to replace my 75" LCD Sony and it will definitely be a another LCD.
I think I'm going to get a Samsung this time, the breakdown issues I've had with my Sony has put a bad taste in my mouth to go that way again. Here's what's in my roundhouse right now.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Some days later still very happy. Turns out I didn't even have the screen set to maximum brightness because I had the default power-saving features still enabled. Having disabled that I can definitely say that this OLED TV is quite a bit brighter than my old LCD. No complaints at all in that regard!

OP
S

Slayer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Just a little update. I was hoping for BB to have some bigger sales over the weekend due to it being the 4th of july and all. But it seems they are waiting to compete with amazon prime day.
However, one tv that really caught my eye (wasn't even aware it was out yet) was the sony a80k. Have to say, I was somewhat shocked. It competed very well with the new QD-OLED. Sure the QD-OLED is brighter, but in most scenes, it's a very minimal difference. But the QD-OLED PQ itself (after viewing for an hour or so) isn't any better and some cases worse. The QD_OLED doesn't seem as natural (life-like) sometimes it appears overblown and somewhat washed out. First impressions you don't notice this, but after some viewing time, it's more apparent.

The Sony A80k, has me thinking not to even consider the LG, unless there was huge price reduction. The A80k just seems so life-like, it really hit's the sweet spot. PQ and brightness is better than I expected. Plus, it's currently on sale.

One thing I have noticed after spending so much time evaluating and comparing these different oled's from LG, Sony and Samsung is the screens themselves. Here, I think more consumers and reviewers should discuss the difference the screen finish makes a difference.
Here is how I see it.
Matte finish is great to reduce reflections, doesn't have the wet color pop as the others screen finishes. It's almost like looking out a clean yet somewhat dusty window. (Weird analogy I know) Good picture, just missing that something, that makes some pictures more life-like. As far as screens go, I would rate the matte finish as 3rd.

Glossy finish, More reflections than the other finishes, yet better color pop (wetness to it) It's like looking out a new sparkling window. Some things look almost unnaturally wet, but pretty damn good and better than the matte finish.

Semi glossy finish. IMO, This is the sweet spot. You still get great anti-reflection, but still retain the color pop. Using the window analogy again.
This is like opening up that clean new window and looking out. Clean, clear and just natural. Hands down IMO, the semi-gloss screen wins.

So, what's your thoughts opinions on the different screen finishes?

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Semi glossy finish. IMO, This is the sweet spot. You still get great anti-reflection, but still retain the color pop. Using the window analogy again.
This is like opening up that clean new window and looking out. Clean, clear and just natural. Hands down IMO, the semi-gloss screen wins.
Agreed

Top Bottom