• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

OLED - Sony or LG,

Slayer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
So, I've decided it's time to make the leap and get an OLED. My only issue is deciding between the LG C1 and The Sony A80J.
With price matching at Best Buy, both are virtually identical in price. My research tells me both have their strengths and weaknesses. So, I would like to hear from actual owners and of course any members opinions.

I spent a few days trying to check them out in a side-by-side comparison, and the differences are very small to my eye. Sound wise, I like the fact the Sony's sound is emitted from the screen itself. That being said, the LG didn't sound bad as far as a TV goes. Picture wise, they were almost indistinguishable from one another. Maybe the only area I would give the advantage to Sony, was the shadow or gray detail, so to speak.
Yesterday, at the end of the day, I was able to view the panels when turned off and the hours of usage. While the LG had slightly 100+ hours on it over the Sony, there was no sign of burn in. The Sony however, had a very faint hint ( i mean faint, you had to look for it) of burn in. Granted this could be due to the Stores constantly playing the same bright content over and over for hours on end. Therefore, it begs the question then, does LG have better anti-burn in protection?
Seeing how this TV purchase is meant to last me at the very least 10 years, I would like as much input before I go ahead and pull the trigger.
Thank you in advance for your input.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I went through the same decision tree 2-1/2 years ago and have been happy with my LG C9. No burn in. Big warning here be very careful if the OLED is going into a bright room. Day time viewing will be poor compared to some other tech.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This site was helpful also.

OP
S

Slayer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I went through the same decision tree 2-1/2 years ago and have been happy with my LG C9. No burn in. Big warning here be very careful if the OLED is going into a bright room. Day time viewing will be poor compared to some other tech.
Thanks, it would be in the main living room, which is somewhat bright. That being said, curtains can be drawn, and I only really use the tv as a computer monitor during the daytime. No movie or tv watching begins until the evening hours.
Also, i have checked out Rtings.com, they seem to put them on a pretty even level. Problem with them is, they don't spend the longevity time as a consumer would do.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
What about Panasonic or Philips? They seem to have a decent OLED lineup as well, though I was never a fan of the Philips Ambilight stuff.

From what I understand, the color reproduction of most current OLED models is quite good. If you like the soap opera effect, there are some differences as well, also handling of black frame insertion is dealt with differently. Otherwise handling of dark tones and color gradients is also a point to look at. HDR maximum brightness is also a point where models and brands may differ quite a bit.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Sony is the Topping of the TV world (best objective performance).

While LG is more like RME of the TV world (reliability, liability and consistent updates while maintaining competitive objective performance).

That's my two cents on this topic.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Not really a problem anymore with the latest generation of OLED. It's BRIGHT now.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Sony is the Topping of the TV world (best objective performance).
Without the Topping price tag that is ;) But does it really have best objective performance? There used to be proper comparison sites out there (7~8 years ago), now I fail to find any:facepalm: I must be doing something wrong:mad:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Therefore, it begs the question then, does LG have better anti-burn in protection?
I don't think you can take away anything from the store units. Mostly they have constantly changing video content which is not likely to cause any burn-in. It's static non-changing images that are at issue for burn-in with OLED's and others. Like I for one use my 75" Sony LCD to view a lot of the video content from my PC. I would never consider the purchase of an OLED since I couldn't count the nights I've fallen asleep with my PC desktop image on the TV. Back in the late 1990's I had a rear projector that had the bottom right A&E channel logo permanently burned into it's screen from watching that station so much back then.

As to Sony, I bought my XBR75X940D in Dec 2016.
It blew up in 8 months and had to be replaced by Sony on 9-2017
It's replacements screen has been failing for the last year or so, I need to bite the bullet and throw it out.
Maybe just the luck of the draw but my next one will be something other than Sony.
YMMV

This is what a gray screen looks like now, the vertical smearing is easily seen on any darker content.
smearing.jpg

Last edited:

jcarys

For movies and TV shows, I would generally favor the Sony. They tend to have slightly better motion control. For gaming, the consensus is LG.

You didn't mention the operating systems, you should check those out too. Since you'll be using the set everyday, the UI could be the deciding factor.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I wouldn't be so sure about that, Sony's top end is usually more expensive than LG's top end.
That’s my point ;). Or do you think Topping is more expensive than RME as well?
Kinda, they consisntely have the highest peak brightness and color accuracy.
Those are just two metrics.. there are many more.
You didn't mention the operating systems, you should check those out too. Since you'll be using the set everyday, the UI could be the deciding factor.
For me, I couldn’t care less.. I don’t use the TV UI at all.. I don’t even know where my remote is ;). It wakes when I wake the AppleTv, and switches off when pi the AppleTV in standby. All else I do on the AppleTV. Other people may do it differently though.

Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
t‘a in when I wake the AppleTv, and switches off when Input the AppleTV in standby.
Pretty much the same here..
For content that's available on Apple it usually supply's the best sound quality format available, Atmos and such.

PatentLawyer

Forum Donor
Anecdotal as all hell, but at the beginning of Covid, we bought a 77" LG OLED given all the time we expected to be home. :) We have been very happy with it. Great picture and a perfect size screen for our room (~22' x 28', viewing distance of about 14 - 16').

Moonhead

Things turnarounded in TV land, before Panasonic where preferred for most accuracy color, but they could not keep up with the competition, Sony is in the leed know and always had perfect pitch black.
Samsung has terrible color accuracy but I guess they Will reclaim market as they finally made an Oled panel, LG seem to be best value with better features than Sony.

Never thought Samsung would be interesting but…

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Anecdotal as all hell, but at the beginning of Covid, we bought a 77" LG OLED given all the time we expected to be home. :) We have been very happy with it. Great picture and a perfect size screen for our room (~22' x 28', viewing distance of about 14 - 16').
Same here, bought an LG GX months before the G1 got out for a really good price and i don't have any regrets.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Things turnarounded in TV land, before Panasonic where preferred for most accuracy color, but the could not keep up with the competition, Sony is in the leed know and always had perfect pitch black, Samsung has terrible color accuracy but I guess they Will reclaim market as they finally made an Oled panel. LG seem to be best value with better features than Sony.

Never thought Samsung would be interesting but…

Once Sony makes a TV with the new panel it will leave anything Samsung made in the dust so this is irrelevant.

Top Bottom