• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

OLED - Sony or LG,

Moonhead

I Agree and that would be Sony A95K.

OP
S

Slayer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
What about Panasonic or Philips?
Going 65'' and keeping the budget under 2k.
For movies and TV shows, I would generally favor the Sony. They tend to have slightly better motion control.
This was my initial thought. Yet when comparing them, it all depended on the content. In my opinion, Sony looked good for regular movies, while LG hands down handled sports better.
Kinda, they consisntely have the highest peak brightness and color accuracy
I could not tell any difference in brightness when comparing the two. Maybe if I had more time and a wider array of content to compare, then I might be able to tell the difference.
You didn't mention the operating systems, you should check those out too
Either one was fine, most likely wouldn't it much anyways since I'm so used to my 4k firestick.

Appreciate all the input. keep it coming.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Is it just me or is color reproduction with OLED still inferior to plasma? None of them look as good to me as my Panasonic plasma.
Best plasma’s can’t even do 100% rec 709. That is only 35% of the more current rec 2020. OLED will do better than 75% of rec 2020.
1654887974389.png

But I only see OLED in Costco - not in my home with good calibration.
They’re probably all in vivid/store mode…

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I could not tell any difference in brightness when comparing the two. Maybe if I had more time and a wider array of content to compare, then I might be able to tell the difference.

Well it's the same panel slightly overclocked so i'm not surprised, specially if the area was treated.

bloodshoteyed

Major Contributor
well, they're both using LG's panels as far as i know

i only got an LG (after telling myself i'd never ever get another one) because i couldn't find a last gen 48" OLED from Sony - so i got the C2 42" in the end - needed it as a monitor only

for me Sony is still better in picture processing, plus Android Tv and for general ease of use (nevermind their weird logic in clicking through a virtual keyboard like you're on a damn Playstation) vs LG's propriatary WebOS and screwed up menus

OP
S

Slayer

They’re probably all in vivid/store mode…
That's the problem with viewing tv's in the store. It's obvious everything is cranked up and or uses as you said store demo mode.
Hence why I want feedback from those who personally have them at home.

Yes, they are both using LG panels. One thing about the C1, some of them have the EVO panel. As I understand after some research, the C1 can be basically changed to the C2 for those with the EVO panel.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
For me, I couldn’t care less.. I don’t use the TV UI at all.. I don’t even know where my remote is ;). It wakes when I wake the AppleTv, and switches off when pi the AppleTV in standby. All else I do on the AppleTV. Other people may do it differently though.

What do you have downstream for the audio?

Chrise36

Major Contributor
From what i gathered until now Sony has the best processing eg for hd content.Panasonic has the best colour and black level processing.LG is the price king and the better models start from the G line now. But oleds have limited panel life something like 30000 hours i believe and stutter is a problem for all that needs constant tweaking

Ron Party

CPH (Chief Prog Head)
Ask DNice over at AVS Forum. I haven't followed closely over there since I bought my Sony A8H OLED back in the fall of 2020 but at least at that time he ranked Sony over LG.

Chrise36

Major Contributor
That's 10 hours a day for 10 years, hardly a concern.
Plasmas had specs for 100000 hours! Anyway oled are also prone to burn in and Panasonic first introduced a cooling panel to address this.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
What do you have downstream for the audio?
Totally off-topic, but here it goes: a broken Marantz SR6010, Genelec 8040 LRC, Cambridge audio SX-50 rears, DIY sub.

GD Fan

Forum Donor
Every LG product I've had (two TVs, a washer and a dryer) completely failed or needed repair far, far sooner than should have been the case. So I won't be messing around with LG anymore. The repairman who keeps fixing the dryer concurs.

GeorgeWalk

I read that LG makes the OLED panels that Sony uses in their TVs. I have had an LG 65" OLED for about 5 years now. No burn in, great colors, deep blacks, and an amazingly wide viewing angle. It worked for me flawlessly. I don't use the TV's audio; I have my home theater system handle that. If I was to buy another one, it would be the LG.

Chrise36

Major Contributor
Front what LG states, I've read numerous places, any of their oled panels since 2016 have a 100,00 hr life span.
I am sceptical about this because there are many reports in forums with oleds having problems after 3 - 4 years.

Bleib

Major Contributor
LG if you mainly game (120hz) and Sony for everything else. For most bang of the buck - LG.
So I just got the LG B1 65"

OP
S

Slayer

I would buy based on specs and measurements :cool:
The best internet reviewing space for tv's imo is HdtvTest on youtube.

Vincent Teoh measures and tests practical every panel available.
Problem is spec wise; they are almost identical. Those reviewers are nice to a point. But the vast majority do not have long term testing results like the typical consumer. Getting feedback from those who have had said tv's for more than a few months is somewhat more valuable to me.
LG if you mainly game (120hz) and Sony for everything else
Gaming is of no concern. Tv viewing, movies and using as a computer monitor are my needs.

Bleib

Major Contributor
Problem is spec wise; they are almost identical. Those reviewers are nice to a point. But the vast majority do not have long term testing results like the typical consumer. Getting feedback from those who have had said tv's for more than a few months is somewhat more valuable to me.

Gaming is of no concern. Tv viewing, movies and using as a computer monitor are my needs.
In that case Sony is usually better calibrated by default and should be recommended

The best will probably be Sony QD-OLED, but it won't be cheap

Last edited:
Top Bottom