• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Okto DAC8 Pro - open to new orders

DTTOM37

Came across the Okto page this evening, hesitated a quarter of an hour, but finally ordered one.
Got my order number per mail from Okto in less than a minute.
Unfortunately, the site indicated afterwards that the Dac8 pro is again sold out.

DTTOM37

Came across the Okto page this evening, hesitated a quarter of an hour, but finally ordered one.
Got my order number per mail from Okto in less than a minute.
Unfortunately, the site indicated afterwards that the Dac8 pro is again sold out.
For an update, the OKTO Research DAC 8 Pro comes at 1.289 Euros w/o tax and shipping
Remote 25 Euros
Shipping to France 25 Euros
Tax about 267 Euro
The supply chain problems are mirrored by an add on of 30% (time of Amir's review).

My assumption is that precious gear like multichannel DACs applicable for digital x-overs won't be available en masse during the coming years, which might influence the prices for gear like Exasound Dacs, Motu and others.
OTOH, I had a soft spot for OKTO DACs since I saw the first reviews. No buyer remorse ;-)

OP
D

DanceOfLight

For an update, the OKTO Research DAC 8 Pro comes at 1.289 Euros w/o tax and shipping
Remote 25 Euros
Tax about 267 Euro
The supply chain problems are mirrored by an add on of 30% (time of Amir's review).

My assumption is that precious gear like multichannel DACs applicable for digital x-overs won't be available en masse during the coming years, which might influence the prices for gear like Exasound Dacs, Motu and others.
OTOH, I had a soft spot for OKTO DACs since I saw the first reviews. No buyer remorse ;-)
Glad to know that you were able to place your order; I checked the same evening, and they were all gone! These are getting sold like hot cakes. I wonder how many are they making per batch ? That said, I was informed by email that it might take 2 to 3 weeks to deliver.

Now I'm off to figure out the other stuff that is needed to build a nice 5.1 around this (for the multichannel FLACs), most importantly inserting a room-EQ that work at similar level of performance as the Okto. I'm sure there are experts here who can help.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Now I'm off to figure out the other stuff that is needed to build a nice 5.1 around this (for the multichannel FLACs), most importantly inserting a room-EQ that work at similar level of performance as the Okto. I'm sure there are experts here who can help.
Sure. What is the rest of the system/context?

OP
D

DanceOfLight

Sure. What is the rest of the system/context?
Thanks Kal. Here you go. there is a long term plan and there is a short term plan

Short term : Set up a multichannel music system to listen in my living room (apartment) which is around 25 Sq Meters.
Current equipment - Canton Ref 9.2 DC stand-mounts on their respective stands and Canton 50.2 Centre speaker. An Audiophonics LPA-S500NC connected to the standmounts. My music (mostly Jazz-Beebop and Jazz-Acoustic some classical and an occational pop ) right now plays off an android phone connected to the SMSL SU-9n via USB. The DAC and the amp are connected via short XLR cables. My music library is not large, but I do have a few dozen hours worth of multichannel HiRes FLACs. If the plan works out well, then the plan is to invest more in m-ch music. I have not invested in M-ch DSD much. Currently the L/R speakers stand on either side of a bookshelf which is 3.5M wide. The centre speaker occupies the centre-bottom shelf with the TV (60-ich) occupying the shelf above. The centre speaker is connected to an old Onkyo stereo receiver for movie duties.

The short plan to replace the ol Onkyo with another nCore likely with another LPA-S500NC biAmping the centre. Replace the SMSL SU-9n with the Okto. Get the 3 channel audio going and then expand this to 5 or 5.1 by investing in some wireless surround R/L speakers. Before going 5 or 5.1 I'd like to introduce a DSP somewhere in the chain for Room-EQ - this I do not know how to, or what with. I'd love to keep the android phone as the source as this means not investing in a dedicated rig/PC. The question is - does android support multichannel FLAC output to an external DAC ? (in theory it should, but I do not know, I can only try this after the DAC8 Pro is delivered); if this doesnt work, then I would need to build a Linux-HTPC which will double up not only as music source but a movie-source as well. I have no interest in streaming music right now.

Mid/long term (in a year if budget allows) , I'd like to use the same (or atleast part of it) music-setup for movies. Movies don't have to be HiRes and have lower priority, although I'd love to have support for Dolby-Atmos as I plan to introduce a couple of old onkyo book-shelves as height speakers. . For movies, right now, I have an old samsung 3D blue-ray player and a samsung HD TV which I plan to upgrade to 4K. Now, the challenge is to design a setup that makes use of most components that is already used in the music chain.

That said, I do not mind getting my hands dirty, as in I have built a few amps and DACs before (not designed, mind) my soldering skills are OK-ish. Can manage some SMDs as well. I am comfortable with Linux and a wee bit of programming (I need to remove some rust off the old nuerons though) Thanks for all the help.

Again, if this thread needs to be moved to the Okto owners club/thread -> I request the help of Mods to do so.

Kal -> thanks in advance.

DTTOM37

Glad to know that you were able to place your order; I checked the same evening, and they were all gone! These are getting sold like hot cakes. I wonder how many are they making per batch ? That said, I was informed by email that it might take 2 to 3 weeks to deliver.

oops, sorry to read that you haven't had the one before mine ...
IIRC, during the order process an information about max. 20 working days for order processing was announced
I'll post more info later as I'm awaiting payment confirmation and more info about the process ...

OP
D

DanceOfLight

oops, sorry to read that you haven't had the one before mine ...
IIRC, during the order process an information about max. 20 working days for order processing was announced
I'll post more info later as I'm awaiting payment confirmation and more info about the process ...
Ah, sorry, after a re-read of my own message, it sounds like I was not able to place the order. I did place the order :) in the morning and simultaniously posted here for others. I rechecked in the evening purely for curiosity, if there were any more left and found that they were all sold out.

DTTOM37

Actually, I saw your posting first after I already ordered ... as I was thinking to do correspondingly until I noticed that I had taken the last place ...

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
I'd love to keep the android phone as the source as this means not investing in a dedicated rig/PC.
By source, do you mean that the music files are stored on the Android phone? If so, I have no idea what its capabilities are. Or do you mean it is to remain as the system controller/UI?
if this doesnt work, then I would need to build a Linux-HTPC which will double up not only as music source but a movie-source as well. I have no interest in streaming music right now.
Well, having that as the core of your system would also allow you the DSP option, depending on selected software.
I'd love to have support for Dolby-Atmos as I plan to introduce a couple of old onkyo book-shelves as height speakers.
At the moment, this is not possible without an AVR (and/or an Apple TV+ 4K).
Again, if this thread needs to be moved to the Okto owners club/thread -> I request the help of Mods to do so.
Not really an Okto issue. It is just a DAC and, just like power amps, it plays whatever you feed it.

OP
D

DanceOfLight

By source, do you mean that the music files are stored on the Android phone? If so, I have no idea what its capabilities are. Or do you mean it is to remain as the system controller/UI?

Well, having that as the core of your system would also allow you the DSP option, depending on selected software.

At the moment, this is not possible without an AVR (and/or an Apple TV+ 4K).

Not really an Okto issue. It is just a DAC and, just like power amps, it plays whatever you feed it.
Yes Kal, if possible I'd like to use the android phone as the file source and DSP. Afterall android has a linux heart :) . The funds that I save from not having to build an HTPC would probably go towards an another nCore amp or upgraded TV. As mentioned my current collection of music doesnt exceed 200GB, so if I'm able to pull this off with an android phone, I'd defer building the linux-HTPC+NAS to a later date. Thank you again.

on the Atmos for movies, you are right, right now AVR seems to be the only option :-/ .

Music1969

Major Contributor
Remote 25 Euros
Tax about 267 Euro

Can you update if your unit ships this week?

I think they recently said if you are able to order one, it means it is ready to ship. No more shipping delays (apparently).

OP
D

DanceOfLight

Can you update if your unit ships this week?

I think they recently said if you are able to order one, it means it is ready to ship. No more shipping delays (apparently).
I think I was one of the 1st few to order in this batch. That said, they did mention in the email (after my order) that they will be able to ship in 2 to 3 weeks.

Music1969

Major Contributor
I think I was one of the 1st few to order in this batch. That said, they did mention in the email (after my order) that they will be able to ship in 2 to 3 weeks.
Thanks. Interesting, this was in their recent newsletter:

If it's "fully finished and ready to be shipped", not sure why it would take 2-3 weeks to ship.
1646130673020.png

OP
D

DanceOfLight

Thanks. Interesting, this was in their recent newsletter:

If it's "fully finished and ready to be shipped", not sure why it would take 2-3 weeks to ship.
View attachment 189879
interesting indeed. To quote their e-mail - "We should dispatch your unit within 2-3 weeks from now." . So looks like there is a minor disconnect; but it is ok :) I'm not in a major hurry as I need to still collect funds for all the amps that need to go with this; and possibly build a HPTC+NAS as well.

Music1969

Major Contributor
interesting indeed. To quote their e-mail - "We should dispatch your unit within 2-3 weeks from now." . So looks like there is a minor disconnect; but it is ok :) I'm not in a major hurry as I need to still collect funds for all the amps that need to go with this; and possibly build a HPTC+NAS as well.
Agreed, 2-3 weeks is much better than the 6 months previous wait and not a big deal.

Assuming 2-3 weeks doesn't slip

Keep us updated !

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just curious, what am I missing about this device that makes it so appealing? If you're just looking for a multichannel DAC, a Denon 3700 is a much better value even in preamp mode. If you're looking to make an active crossover, MiniDSP seems like a better fit. Universal Audio and RME are also proven performers in this price range. So what is it about the Okto that people are willing to take a risk on a company with such a rocky history? Surely it's not just SINAD scores?

Music1969

Major Contributor
If you're just looking for a multichannel DAC, a Denon 3700 is a much better value even in preamp mode.

With potentially 8 x RCA cables? Ground loop nightmare (potentially)?

Universal Audio and RME are also proven performers in this price range.

These don't support an IR remote control, to control volume from the couch easy.

Okto comes with the solid metal Apple Remote for volume control

I haven't looked closely at the miniDSP for a while.

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
With potentially 8 x RCA cables? Ground loop nightmare (potentially)?

These don't support an IR remote control, to control volume from the couch easy.

Okto comes with the solid metal Apple Remote for volume control

I haven't looked closely at the miniDSP for a while.

x2. Nice display, IR volume control and trigger output are three big features missing from the pro audio DACs. Only off the shelf product with similar functionality / performance that I am aware of is the Exasound S88 and it is > $7K. You can DIY similar functionality with the pro audio DACs (see link in my signature) but at the end of the day it is not that much cheaper and requires quite a bit of work.

It is also very easy to integrate with software DSP and works perfectly on Linux. A RPi4 + CamillaDSP + Okto dac8 pro will stomp all over any miniDSP product in terms of processing power and analog performance.

I will say that once the miniDSP Flex with digital outputs is released that will be a very viable competitor to the Okto when paired with a pro audio DAC as it gives you display, source selection, IR volume control and ability to add a trigger with a Bobwire DAT1.

Michael

Top Bottom