• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Objectivism vs subjectivism and misinformation spreading?

GrimSurfer

Major Contributor
Well, sure, but how are Amir and @Thomas savage going to reach their long term site traffic and business model goals by appealing only to the top 5% of the intellectual pool?

I can't think of any serious technologist or scientist who sees any virtue in catering to the idiot factor.

Besides, we're not talking about quantum physics. The principles of sound are easily comprehensible by people of average intelligence.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I can't think of any serious technologist or scientist who sees any virtue in catering to the idiot factor.

I think you're confusing ASR with AES.

My reading of the tea leaves is that ASR is trying to become the "Consumer Reports" of audio.

And Consumer Reports is all about simplifying things to numerical ratings, with simple color-coded charts to tell people what to buy:

CRO-Inline-Chart-Built-In-Systems-Ratings-04-19

Reminds me a bit of the SINAD graph....

GrimSurfer

Major Contributor

Reminds me more of a CR ranking for car infotainment systems :p

I wonder how many people of the Instagram generation have subscriptions to Consumer Reports?

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Well, sure, but how are Amir and @Thomas savage going to reach their long term site traffic and business model goals by appealing only to the top 5% of the intellectual pool?
Yea I need all you uncouth hooligans if im going to retire from drywall and live the high life. So just keep repeating the same old same old and I will sit back and order another wagyu rib and book that winter holiday to Barbados.

Cheers all X

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
I think you're confusing ASR with AES.

My reading of the tea leaves is that ASR is trying to become the "Consumer Reports" of audio.

And Consumer Reports is all about simplifying things to numerical ratings, with simple color-coded charts to tell people what to buy:

CRO-Inline-Chart-Built-In-Systems-Ratings-04-19

This reminds me of the nutritional advice on vegan sausages.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Yea I need all you uncouth hooligans if im going to retire from drywall and live the high life. So just keep repeating the same old same old and I will sit back and order another wagyu rib and book that winter holiday to Barbados.

Cheers all X

You could at least put in a bit of minimal effort and make some cat videos like Z Reviews does, mate.....

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think Zeos is great, OK I would not treat his reviews too seriously as consumer advice and some of his ideas are slightly odd but he is often laugh out loud funny and his videos are entertaining.

gene_stl

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Full disclosure:

We listen to our TV through TV speakers.
I listen to a lot of You Tube musical performances through the Roku on a Samsung Smart TeeWee. (although I frequently use wireless headphones )
It is amazing how your hearing and brain accomodate the fact that there is just a little bitty pair of spikkers. I have scrapped a few of these and sometimes save the tiny spikkers because they had comparatively large magnets. (as compared to computer speakers for example)

gene_stl

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
"If you build it , They will come."
I don't recall where that quote came from but I have always liked it. Sometimes true.

OP
D

Drone/doom

I just lurked that sub seems to have decayed hard over there. There are users giving their view on the ER4SR when they never tried it???. Then give downvotes when called out on trolling.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
We listen to our TV through TV speakers.
I really struggle to follow dialogue from a lot of TVs in a drama series with mumbled dialogue. If for some reason my hifi is not working the grief I get from the wife to get some other hifi plugged into the TV rather than use the built in speakers is continuous.

audiophile

Here's a short story about how I stopped trusting subjective reviews. I was looking to upgrade my system and read a review in an audio magazine that described a certain combination of an amp and speakers as quote: "easily matched the best I'd ever heard at home". I bought both the amp and the speakers and later discovered that it was the worst amp pairing one could possibly recommend for these speakers. The amp simply did not have the power required by the speakers, which had wide impedance swings.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor

digicidal

Major Contributor
Besides, we're not talking about quantum physics. The principles of sound are easily comprehensible by people of average intelligence.
Yep. Even an idiot like me can figure out most of it... and that's saying something! o_O To be fair however, much of it is also statistics... of which 76.895% are always lies. So there's a dark side as well. :cool:

And there's my RC-F... right at the very bottom of that chart... which I agree with completely... although the ML audio is much better than the Porsche - I don't care what they say. The usability and the rest... yep, it sucks worse than anything I've had the displeasure of owning in my life. But then again I didn't buy it for the stereo, or the navigation, and I refuse to use my phone while driving even with BT. I'm driving dammit... get out of my way and STFU. :p

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Here's a short story about how I stopped trusting subjective reviews. I was looking to upgrade my system and read a review in an audio magazine that described a certain combination of an amp and speakers as quote: "easily matched the best I'd ever heard at home". I bought both the amp and the speakers and later discovered that it was the worst amp pairing one could possibly recommend for these speakers. The amp simply did not have the power required by the speakers, which had wide impedance swings.

I totally get why you would be turned off subjective reviews given that experience.

Personally, I have found value in some subjective reviews - sometimes more value than purely objective reviews. But, hey, horses for courses...

Top Bottom