• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Advice on choosing an amplifier (Speakers: Elac DBR 62, Sources: Digital Music Library, Record Player)

Neb

Hello,

first of all, this is my first post on this forum so I apologize for any mistakes. If I am not asking my question in the correct sub-forum please tell me.

I recently bought a pair of Elac DBR62 speakers since they fit in my budget range and were recommended on this website. Now I need to choose an Amp. After reading some threads about this topic, sadly, I‘m still not quite sure what to buy. Some information that might play a role in the decision:

- I don‘t want to spend more than 800€, cheaper is better
- My room is 13m^2 and I will listen to music sitting at my desk
- I want to buy a subwoofer in the near future since (for my taste) the DBR62 lack bass
- My music sources are my PC (95% of my music) and a record player (the remaining 5%)
- I will eventually upgrade my speakers
- I already own a headphone DAC/Amp

With these criteria out of the way, I am open for anything… Integrated DAC/Amp or separate devices? Crossover functionality or a DIY filter circuit? So many questions…

In another thread i found the Elac EA101EQ-G. It seems like a good option since it has a dedicated sub-out and digital inputs. Then again, separate components might be better regarding upgradeability… all around I‘m just lost in a seemingly endless sea of choices. In addition to direct component recommendations I would also greatly appreciate some good reading material on general ‚hifi education and lore‘ - I would love to be able to make an educated decision.

Thank you :D

Overseas

Major Contributor
Sitting at your desk, you mean nearfield? Then you can get a cheap SMSL or Aiyima.

OP
N

Neb

Sitting at your desk, you mean nearfield? Then you can get a cheap SMSL or Aiyima.
Thank you for your advice! May I ask why nearfield means that I can choose a cheap option?

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You may want to take a look at the Sabaj A30A. Below is the link to a thread on it with user feedback. No measurements yet. However, the SMSL SA400 by Sabaj's sister company SMSL was reviewed here. It is suspected both amps are similar in performance.

Reactions: Neb

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello,

first of all, this is my first post on this forum so I apologize for any mistakes. If I am not asking my question in the correct sub-forum please tell me.

I recently bought a pair of Elac DBR62 speakers since they fit in my budget range and were recommended on this website. Now I need to choose an Amp. After reading some threads about this topic, sadly, I‘m still not quite sure what to buy. Some information that might play a role in the decision:

- I don‘t want to spend more than 800€, cheaper is better
- My room is 13m^2 and I will listen to music sitting at my desk
- I want to buy a subwoofer in the near future since (for my taste) the DBR62 lack bass
- My music sources are my PC (95% of my music) and a record player (the remaining 5%)
- I will eventually upgrade my speakers
- I already own a headphone DAC/Amp

With these criteria out of the way, I am open for anything… Integrated DAC/Amp or separate devices? Crossover functionality or a DIY filter circuit? So many questions…

In another thread i found the Elac EA101EQ-G. It seems like a good option since it has a dedicated sub-out and digital inputs. Then again, separate components might be better regarding upgradeability… all around I‘m just lost in a seemingly endless sea of choices. In addition to direct component recommendations I would also greatly appreciate some good reading material on general ‚hifi education and lore‘ - I would love to be able to make an educated decision.

Thank you :D
For 800€, you should be able to get a Topping LA90. Currently there is nothing that measures better.

ohnonotagain

You may want to take a look at the Sabaj A30A. Below is the link to a thread on it with user feedback. No measurements yet. However, the SMSL SA400 by Sabaj's sister company SMSL was reviewed here. It is suspected both amps are similar in performance.
Feature-wise it's closer to the (again, same company) VMV A2. At $500 the Sabaj will leave you with plenty of change to go and buy some music to enjoy :)

Overseas

Major Contributor
Thank you for your advice! May I ask why nearfield means that I can choose a cheap option?
No need for more power than these.
Then, budget should go first to good, better speakers.
More expensive does not guarantee better.

Gruesome

Forum Donor
No sensitivity (sound pressure level for a given amplifier power input to the speaker) is quoted for your speakers, but from the graphs in Amir's review it seems to be slightly higher than 85 dB (SPL per W at 1m distance).
In a 13 square meter room you are going to be listening at about a meter distance, at most 2, so you will need less than a Watt of power. (I'm listening at about 60 milliWatt per channel with 86 dB SPL/W@1m speakers in a similar sized room, which is enough for 74 dB sound pressure level and plenty loud. Actually your headphone amp might already put out enough to drive your speakers, if it could drive 5 Ohm impedance (a big if).
You can't really buy 1 Watt amplifiers (unless you buy a tube amp), so a small 10 - 50 Watt chip amplifier will do the job. You can filter the review index for 'amplifier' and sort by price or SINAD (noise & distortion performance): https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?pages/Reviews/

For example, Topping PA5 and PA3s (but not the PA3) tested well, and are quite affordable. I bought the Loxjie A30, which is also not bad, and has a subwoofer output (which I have not tested so far).

Last edited:

ohnonotagain

No need for more power than these.
Then, budget should go first to good, better speakers.
More expensive does not guarantee better.
OP already has great speakers, so €800 gives a lot of flexibility. Whilst you don't need the power of a bigger amplifier for nearfield listening, more money does usually mean more quality if you choose well. I recently upgraded to a Sabaj A30a from an SMSL DA-9 for my desk setup, and the difference is not only audible but measurable. Something in the Sabaj (post-filter feedback, most likely) actually evens out the frequency response of the tweeter.

Top Bottom