• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Non-Raspberry Pi SBCs for Streaming + CamillaDSP

henologist

I'm about to get a MOTU Ultralite mk5 to pair with an SBC for CamillaDSP/streaming, but unfortunately Raspberry Pi 4s are still hard to find at decent prices. There are plenty of alternative SBCs and small form-factor PCs out there, but it's hard to narrow it down to one that's not too weak nor too powerful and pricey. It'd be great if they also have USB OTG support like the RPi 4, allowing for UAC2 Gadget mode. I'm planning on using mine for room correction to two stereo speakers and currently two subs, probably expanding to three or four, along with testing out some streaming software.

Right now I'm looking at getting an ODROID-N2+ w/ 2GB RAM (Hardkernel / ameriDroid), since it's at least as powerful as an RPi 4, reasonably priced, supports USB OTG, and has an IR receiver so I can control it with my Harmony remote. Are there any other SBCs that would be a better value for this use case, or are there any issues that may arise with this SBC in particular? I can find cheaper SBCs with USB OTG support, but the included IR receiver is a nice value add and looks cleaner than a USB IR receiver. There will probably be some other people in the same situation until Raspberry Pi gets their supply issues under control, so any suggestions for cheap SBCs that'd make good CamillaDSP hosts would also be appreciated. :^)

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am using Rock Pi S as my digital EQ, sitting between the sources and the DACs. I would most certainly recommend it. It comes with a quad A35 core CPU. 512MB RAM, onboard WiFi and BT and no NAND version costs around $27. I have been using it for quite a while now, running CamillaDSP, CamillaNode, Shairport and Spotify Connect without any issues. Here is a screenshot from HTOP.

One thing to keep in mind is that not all USB OTG capable devices come with USB Audio drivers, or at least for some of the SBCs I got, I was not able to make USB Audio output work even though they have USB OTG. I might be software or hardware related, or it might just be me.

1688157858235.png

JLGF1

Which Linux distro do you recommend? ie which one are you using?

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Another device that is cheap, available and works fine is OrangePi Zero LTS. It is available to purchase on AliExpress and more or less the same price as Rock Pi S.

I prefer Rock Pi S to OrangePi Zero LTS mostly due to minor conveniences, such as :
  • RockPi has USB-C vs Zero LTS's micro USB. Please.
  • RockPi comes with Android Debug Bridge, allowing you to connect it to your computer with a UCB-C cable, and configure its WiFi for it to connect to your WiFi Router. Very convenient. For Zero LTS, you need to plug it into your router via ethernet cable, and configure its WiFi.
  • With Rock Pi S, you load g_audio module and and it starts working. With Zero LTS you need to do some module aikido to make audio work over USB.
One thing working for Zero LTS is that you can get it with a case.

Last edited:
OP
henologist

henologist

Thanks for the suggestions @IAtaman, the Rock Pi S looks like a great fit! I'm also looking forward to trying CamillaNode. My current plan is to use the Ultralite mk5 for output to speakers/subs and an SMSL C200 for output to headphones, so hopefully it'll make swapping EQ presets on the C200 easier.

Prices seem to be recovering quickly:
View attachment 295927
Yup, it's not nearly as bad as it was a few months ago for the RPi 4, but at their current price point ($70-85 USD) there's plenty of competition from more powerful/featured SBCs and used mini PCs, so I figured it was worth researching. Lighter RPis like the Zero 2 W seem to still be ridiculously overpriced, which makes sense as RPi has said that getting more RPi 4s out is their current priority. An RPi 4 is already a bit overpowered for this use case, and I figure that if I'm gonna spend that much on an SBC then I'd like it to have enough performance to serve other passive duties on my local network and be useful as an emulation box if I change my home studio DSP chain. You can also get HP EliteDesk 705 Minis with Ryzen 5s for about that price, but then you're sacrificing size and connectivity for power.

Last edited:

Nicosea

I am using Rock Pi S as my digital EQ, sitting between the sources and the DACs. I would most certainly recommend it. It comes with a quad A35 core CPU. 512MB RAM, onboard WiFi and BT and no NAND version costs around $27. I have been using it for quite a while now, running CamillaDSP, CamillaNode, Shairport and Spotify Connect without any issues. Here is a screenshot from HTOP.

One thing to keep in mind is that not all USB OTG capable devices come with USB Audio drivers, or at least for some of the SBCs I got, I was not able to make USB Audio output work even though they have USB OTG. I might be software or hardware related, or it might just be me.

View attachment 295915

Are you using it as USB gadget audio also?
If so, what are the steps to do that?
There are many good guides on how to use gadget audio mode with Rasperry Pi4, even here in this forum, but I could not find anything understandable for Rock Pi S.
I would dream of using the Rock Pi S with CamillaDSP, equalizing audio coming out from a smartphone (iPhone for example) attached to Rock Pi S via usb-c port and listen to music with USB dac.

Top Bottom