• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

A simple inline DSP equalizer: is it possible?

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I just got JamesDSP running and it's looking promising. It looks like I can choose between a GEQ or convolution, either being a good option.
I don' think GEQ is a good solution for room equalisation.

skris88

I've tried "all of the above". But, really, it's just too much work.

That does not mean I've given up. I hate coloured boomy or brittle sound; I need it EQed! So I've kept looking.

I found a solution...

I have not bought it but there seems to be a nice solution out there, actually! It's Sonos battery powered speakers.

They offer a calibration app with the latest generation of their systems (do not buy a used previous Gen one!) so you could in theory get smooth balanced sound from them at this gym, if need be. I believe EQ changes are stored within the speaker, so the settings do not need their app running when you are listening.

Anyone with experience with these speakers and their new calibration app?

56suited

The WiiMs also work well as a Bluetooth receiver, and with analog and digital inputs. They are very versatile.
Are you saying that the WiiM Mini, Pro, Pro+, and Amp will likely satisfy some basic DSP/EQ-like needs....so I don't have to go €700 on a MiniDSP Flex?

Zapper

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Are you saying that the WiiM Mini, Pro, Pro+, and Amp will likely satisfy some basic DSP/EQ-like needs....so I don't have to go €700 on a MiniDSP Flex?
Yes. You can do 10-channel graphic EQ (1 octave/channel, starting at 31Hz) or a 4-channel parametric EQ (choice of LS, PK, HS filters, adjustable for freq, gain, and Q).

They also serve as a preamp, with a choice of inputs and outputs, and volume control.

56suited

The WiiMs also work well as a Bluetooth receiver, and with analog and digital inputs. They are very versatile.

Yes. You can do 10-channel graphic EQ (1 octave/channel, starting at 31Hz) or a 4-channel parametric EQ (choice of LS, PK, HS filters, adjustable for freq, gain, and Q).

They also serve as a preamp, with a choice of inputs and outputs, and volume control.
I was going to go turntable > phono stage > WiiM Amp > speakers for a system that uses vinyl and streaming as sources (WiiM Amp would be my streamer/DAC/amp combo) but I keep getting told I should pump €700 into a MiniDSP Flex and use a power amp instead.

I feel better knowing I can save DSP for later. Thanks!

Zapper

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I was going to go turntable > phono stage > WiiM Amp > speakers for a system that uses vinyl and streaming as sources (WiiM Amp would be my streamer/DAC/amp combo)
that will work
but I keep getting told I should pump €700 into a MiniDSP Flex and use a power amp instead.
that works too but costs more
I feel better knowing I can save DSP for later. Thanks!
Sure. Do you already own the turntable?

56suited

that will work

that works too but costs more

Sure. Do you already own the turntable?
Not yet. It's between a
  • Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Evo,
  • Pro-Ject Debut Pro S,
  • Pro-Ject X1 B,
  • Technics SL1500C

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Not yet. It's between a
  • Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Evo,
  • Pro-Ject Debut Pro S,
  • Pro-Ject X1 B,
  • Technics SL1500C

Do you also own a lot of vinyl you want to play? The general advice here is against buying vinyl systems when you don't already have a significant investment in the media.

Digital is always higher quality, more convenient, and significantly cheaper.

Of course, if you understand all that and want to do it anyway for other reasons, it is entirely your choice. :D

56suited

Do you also own a lot of vinyl you want to play? The general advice here is against buying vinyl systems when you don't already have a significant investment in the media.

Digital is always higher quality, more convenient, and significantly cheaper.

Of course, if you understand all that and want to do it anyway for other reasons, it is entirely your choice. :D
It's something I want to get into for the purpose of collecting the physical media, the tinkering with cartridges, platter, and tonearm upgrades, and tactile aspect. I'm entering with my eyes open, although I'm now more accepting of the idea of shifting budget to digital. A €480 turntable is good enough for now - I don't need to go wild.

Top Bottom