• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

CamillaNode : A web based UI alternative to control CamillaDSP as PEQ

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hey All,

TL;DR: camillaNode is an open source, free to use CamillaDSP control interface specifically built to function as a parametric EQ with AutoEQ integration, and is available on GitHub via the link here.

I was looking for alternative UI to control CamillaDSP as a simple equalizer for various headphones I use during the day, and started an investigation to find out what are my options. That investigation turned into a small project to develop an interface that works as a basic PEQ with AutoEQ integration, called CamillaNode, which is available on GitHub for anyone interested.

CamillaNode can run on the same device that runs CamillaDSP, or you can run it from your other PC/Mac/Linux machine to control the DSP running on another machine.

If offers the basic functionality to add/remove bands, change frequency, gain and Q to your liking; save EQ configs to be loaded later on, and download EQ settings from AutoEQ repo on GitHub automatically. There are a few more quality of life improvement functionalities available, like changing color scheme, keyboard shortcuts for switching between EQ settings etc.

Install and basic usage instructions are available on GitHub.

I have CamillaDSP and CamillaNode running on a tiny Rock Pi S with USB input from the computer and USB output to the DAC, which replaced all EQ software I use on Mac and PC. I don't have to maintain different EQ settings across different devices, I don't have to deal with different UIs etc. so has been working really well for me, hope it will be useful to some of you as well.

Any comments, questions, remarks, suggestions are much welcomed.

Here are some screenshots to spice up your interest :)

1684224739148.png
1684224751861.png
1684226258734.png

OP
IAtaman

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Did a few bug fixes and added a few new things, most interesting of which in my opinion are :
  • Changed the Limit function on volume such that it captures the peaks for 3 seconds now and sets the highest point as threshold, and decreases the volume if the new peak surpasses the set limit. Very helpful when switching from music listening to YouTube for example.
  • Added (optional) EQ Plot that visualizes the different filters and the overall equalization, which can be turned on or off from preferences.
1684620716043.png

OP
IAtaman

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just finished a few more things on develop, coming to master branch in a few days:
  • Level meters consist of separate segments now, not unlike LED bar graphs
  • Added clipping detection and warning.

1684788151049.png

OP
IAtaman

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
TL;DR: you can use the beta version of camillaNode via web without installing any apps on your computer or your Raspberry Pi. Just make sure CamillaDSP is initialized with -a 0.0.0.0 option, go to http://ntxrx.com put in the local IP Address and Port of the computer running CamillaDSP and you are good to go.

Since CamillaDSP offers control over websocket, it is possible to control it without the need to install any other apps, if one is willing to bind its websocket service to the external IP interface of the SBC. To that end, I have revised camillaNode a bit and hosted it on a website, which can be accessed from http://ntxrx.com

For it to work, you need to edit camilladsp.service file and add -a 0.0.0.0. It would be good idea to make a note of the port as well.

All functionality and features of camillaNode is also available on the web version. It is still in test stage so do let me know if yopu happen to give it a try and run into a bug please.

Last edited:
OP
IAtaman

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Let me also add that no data is stored about you or your configurations on the website. All data is stored on your own computer. No account or login information is also needed - you can open the website and start using it.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Nice stuff! Mobile usability may need some work though.

OP
IAtaman

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Nice stuff! Mobile usability may need some work though.
Very true, I was trying to make it work directly from the web and omitted the mobile version for a while. Should be able to fix in the in the coming days.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
So, what feature are added/missing form the original web interface that is already part of CamilaDSP? AutoEQ is quite clear.

OP
IAtaman

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So, what feature are added/missing form the original web interface that is already part of CamilaDSP? AutoEQ is quite clear.
Hard to give a comprehensive list, but basically it does two "quality of life" things - make it simple to use CamillaDSP as an PEQ and offer integration with AutoEQ - so you can search for your headphones and download the EQ for it with no effort.

It can not do any of the delay, mix, pipeline stuff. Yet. I was working on a graphical pipeline management tool not unlike the filter tools you get with Unity or Unreal Engine and such, but that is on hold at the moment.

To give a list maybe:
  • You don't need create filters and add them to the pipeline for each channel etc. You create your EQ and all of that stuff handled by the app.
  • If even that sounds like too much work, you can get the EQ for your headphones directly from AutoEQ. Oratory1990, Crinicle, headphones.com and a few more others are all available.
  • You can also make changes and save configurations. And you can assign shortcut keys to configurations as well.
  • You get Limit function, which turns the volume down if goes too high e.g. when you switch from music to YT.
  • You get clipping detection warnings e.g. if you forget to adjust the preamp setting.
  • You can import EQ configurations as text files from squiq.link or REW or other sources. You can export your own EQ settings as text and share them with others as well.
  • You can customize how it looks a bit - play with colors, saturation, change the size of level bars etc.

Last edited:
Top Bottom