• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Nikon / Canon / Panasonic's mirrorless are coming soon

OP
mi-fu

mi-fu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
i think so too. f2 will be a very heavy and bulky lens!

OP
mi-fu

mi-fu

Forum Donor
it is not as bulky as i thought!

maxxevv

Major Contributor
Think Nikon will have some difficulty pushing its Z cameras now that this is out of the gates ...

-6 EV Auto-Focus !!!

Sony must have caught wind of both the Nikon and Canon offerings and have been trying hard to get people into their fold the past 2~3 months with loads of enticing offers.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Cool. This scaling of the two bodies is interesting:

index.php

Sure would be nice to have a less bulky body but with high quality.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
It's funny how periodically companies flip over the polarizing filter on LCDs to make them black on grey to grey on black.

I used to do that at school in the early 1980s with my scientific calculator (or my friend's) to look 'different'.

OP
mi-fu

mi-fu

Forum Donor
I think it will be very tempting to current canon users, especially with its 5655 AF points! :eek:

maxxevv

Major Contributor
Its their mid-tier entry. Not quite into 5D territory yet.

The feature set suggests that it is somewhere between the 6DMkII and the 5DMkIV. The price reflects it too.

So there should be higher tier one thats somewhere between a 5DmkIV and a 1DX.

That would probably be in the US$4XXX price range.

OP
mi-fu

mi-fu

Forum Donor
I agree.

I think the next camera update for Canon will be a pro grade DSLR with a new sensor. Then that new sensor will go to mirrorless.

maxxevv

Major Contributor
I think it will be very tempting to current canon users, especially with its 5655 AF points! :eek:

More doesn't mean its better. Its the overall tracking accuracy and speed that's far more important in my experience.

The old Nikon D300 had far more AF points than the Canon 7D. But the 7D handily trounced the D300 when all AF points were enabled both for accuracy and speed.

Anyway, for the longest (which I am still using by choice ) , my 5DMkII operates on 1 singular AF point even when I shoot sports.

OP
mi-fu

mi-fu

Forum Donor
More doesn't mean its better. Its the overall tracking accuracy and speed that's far more important in my experience.

The old Nikon D300 had far more AF points than the Canon 7D. But the 7D handily trounced the D300 when all AF points were enabled both for accuracy and speed.

Anyway, for the longest (which I am still using by choice ) , my 5DMkII operates on 1 singular AF point even when I shoot sports.

Very true. But I haven't been using Canon for decades, so I can't really comment (My last Canon was EOS 5 - the film camera :p)

I did own a Nikon D800E for several years. I just couldn't get the AF tracking to work successfully. For AF tracking, I tend to believe that Canon should be superior.

For mirrorless, as the AF is using a different mechanism from DSLR, I suspect Sony still has an upper hand.

maxxevv

Major Contributor
Very true. But I haven't been using Canon for decades, so I can't really comment (My last Canon was EOS 5 - the film camera :p)

I did own a Nikon D800E for several years. I just couldn't get the AF tracking to work successfully. For AF tracking, I tend to believe that Canon should be superior.

For mirrorless, as the AF is using a different mechanism from DSLR, I suspect Sony still has an upper hand.

For those guys that require video AF, the Canon DPAF system is the market leader.

Haven't had a field test with the latest EOS-M system but I did try the M5 at the Canon service center demo area, AF was pretty quick, but it was accurate. So it should be pretty good if its improved form that.

As for DSLR AF systems, its a lot to do with understanding its quirks to get the best out of them. Canon's tend to be less "diva-like" in that aspect thus easier to work with generally but if tweaked and user compensated for, as far as I have seen, both Canon and Nikon are as good as they come.

Most people don't believe that I actually shoot sports with a single AF point ! lol .... :D

maxxevv

Major Contributor
A big miss is lack of in-body image stabilizer. I was just shooting macros with my 180mm L and sure would have been nice to have the body add IS to it. Sony continues to lead here.

IBIS isn't really all that its made up to be. It does have issues of heat dissipation if you read some of the forums regarding Sony cameras and such.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I think it will be very tempting to current canon users, especially with its 5655 AF points!

That would be fun trying to pick one out!

I'm so old school. My cameras are always set for a single point that I move around if I want or I just centre focus and half-press reframe. I think people just like all the red LEDs lighting up in patterns in the viewfinder. :)

Wombat

Master Contributor
That would be fun trying to pick one out!

I'm so old school. My cameras are always set for a single point that I move around if I want or I just centre focus and half-press reframe. I think people just like all the red LEDs lighting up in patterns in the viewfinder. :)

Wot? At that price(without lens) the camera should make all the decisions. o_O

OP
mi-fu

mi-fu

Forum Donor
I also only use center focus most of the time. But as sensor pixel going higher and higher, the "half-press then reframe" mechanism will easily lead to out of focus. I think Hasselblad True Focus method is the best way to solve the problem - way better than selecting specific focusing point. Too bad I don't see similar mechanism in smaller formats.

Top Bottom