• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New Tidal Pricing

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Looks like the revised pricing structure trialed a few months ago in Australia has gone live on the UK today.

HiFi tier is now £9.99 pm replacing the old aac based tier. So this is "lossless" or thereabouts

HiFi plus is mqa, atmos etc at £19.99pm

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211117-161150.png
    Screenshot_20211117-161150.png
    382.5 KB · Views: 141
  • Screenshot_20211117-161158.png
    Screenshot_20211117-161158.png
    445.5 KB · Views: 135
OP
Jimbob54

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
And Spotify Lossless is still nowhere to be seen....
It will be £10 a month or less when it emerges from hibernation though.

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Tidal is making some significant changes to its subscription plans and introducing a free, ad-sponsored tier for the first time. The new Tidal Free plan launches today, is exclusive to the US, and the company says it offers “access to our entire music catalog and playlists, with limited interruptions.” Streaming quality tops out at 160kbps, however.

TIDAL now offers three membership options for fans to choose from: TIDAL Free (US-only), TIDAL HiFi, and TIDAL HiFi Plus.

Just checked, no Canada support for FREE-tier… :(

Waiting for Spotify lossless myself.

Last edited:

SKBubba

$10/mo is the new commodity pricing for CD quality streaming. And Spotify falls further and further behind.

SKBubba

Also, if Tidal Hifi is true 16/44 flac, it puts them at the top of the heap with good desktop/mobile apps, Tidal connect, and good discovery and auto-play features.

LearningToSmile

Worth noting that Tidal seems to have a decent regional pricing scheme - I'm paying a hair under $10 for HiFi Plus after the change. Not exactly accounting for income disparity but certainly better than services that just charge US prices + VAT, or even worse, are completely unavailable(looking at you, Quobuz).

OP
Jimbob54

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Is this bit new?
View attachment 166121
It's only listed on the HIFI+ tier.
I hadnt seen that before this change and the email I got refers. Hadnt twigged it was only on the top tier though (which is now at least £8pm more than rivals)

OP
Jimbob54

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Tidal is making some significant changes to its subscription plans and introducing a free, ad-sponsored tier for the first time. The new Tidal Free plan launches today, is exclusive to the US, and the company says it offers “access to our entire music catalog and playlists, with limited interruptions.” Streaming quality tops out at 160kbps, however.

TIDAL now offers three membership options for fans to choose from: TIDAL Free (US-only), TIDAL HiFi, and TIDAL HiFi Plus.

Just checked, no Canada support for FREE-tier… :(

Waiting for Spotify lossless myself.
Get your sleeping bag out ....

Reactions: ENG

Marc v E

Major Contributor
I changed from Spotify to Tidal and have a youtube premium subscription now. Most noteworthy is the incredibly accurate predictions from google's youtube music. Within a month it is 80-90% correct. Spotify was more like 50% after 2 years (!)

OP
Jimbob54

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Also, if Tidal Hifi is true 16/44 flac, it puts them at the top of the heap with good desktop/mobile apps, Tidal connect, and good discovery and auto-play features.

At risk of this going down the emmmkewwwayyy rabbit hole, I believe some of the hifi tier files are MQA without the ability to unfold rather than "pure" 16/44 FLAC- we all know those debates about what that actually means.

TimW

Major Contributor
Sweet! My downgrade is pending. Nice to save $10 a month and not have to deal with MQA. Has anyone confirmed that Roon and Plex continue to work with the new Tidal Hifi tier?

OP
Jimbob54

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Sweet! My downgrade is pending. Nice to save $10 a month and not have to deal with MQA. Has anyone confirmed that Roon and Plex continue to work with the new Tidal Hifi tier?
No, UAPP on Android does though. No reason any front end software shouldnt work- hifi plus is just Hifi renamed and (new)Hifi is what was (old) Hifi if you set your player to "Hifi" rather than "Master" (ie with MQA enabled)

Raindog123

Major Contributor

I just tried Tidal with Roon. I used to have the lowest paid (family) that I guess is now became the “hifi” (I am in the US). Had to logoff/logon to Tidal in Roon for the change to take effect. What was Roon’s brownish AAC ”dot” is now purple 44/16 FLAC.

As before, some of my Tidal titles are reported as “normal” [PCM] FLACs (“TIDAL FLAC 44.1kHz 16bit 2 ch”) while others are MQA FLACs (“TIDAL FLAC 44.1kHz 16bit 2 ch, MQA 44.1kHz… Authentication MQA 44.1kHz”).

Choosing “Master“ vs “HiFi” in Roon’s Settings\Services\Tidal\Edit\Streaming Quality does not seem to affect anything at all for me.

Last edited:
OP
Jimbob54

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I just tried Tidal with Roon. I used to have the lowest paid (family) that I guess is now became the “hifi” (I am in the US). Had to logoff/logon to Tidal in Roon for the change to take effect. What was Roon’s brownish AAC ”dot” is now purple 44/16 FLAC.

As before, some of my Tidal titles are reported as “normal” FLACs (“TIDAL FLAC 44.1kHz 16bit 2 ch”) while some others are “TIDAL FLAC 44.1kHz 16bit 2 ch, MQA 44.1kHz… Authentication MQA 44.1kHz.
That is how UAPP reports some files now I am on the (new) Hifi tier. Same as when i was on the (old) hifi tier but set it to "hifi" quality (not Master)- clear? Not really!

MalinYamato

I got an email from Tidal that Tidal is upgrading my account to Hifi Plus with the same price as before, and I was euphoric with joy, but the joy was short-lived, as I soon found out that it is not an upgrade just a change of the name from hifi to a fancier name hifi plus.

OP
Jimbob54

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Not at home, but if Tidal free worked with Roon it would be awesome. Doubt it though.
Not sure what the caveat is with the free tier and cant test as not in the US. Lower res or ads?

Top Bottom