• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New SMSL M500

ferni19

Hello friend, I see that you have the Topping D50s and this M500, how would you compare them? I'm about to buy the D50s today along with JDS Atom amp but I'm also thinking of buying this M500, what is your recommendation? I only use it for headphones, greetings and thank you very much

armani006

Mine gave a bug yesterday, when I switched to next track suddenly sound changed to white noise. I switched Foobar2000 player to AIMP but it didn't help. Listened from XLRs. I swiched off M500 and turned on again and it helped. Had anybody the same problem?
Want also to say in addition that when I listen from XLRs and switch to HP output I hear very low volume music from XLRs too. Is this normal?

Last edited:

mkawa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
am i the only one who doesn't see a levels difference when it goes into MQA decode mode?

the only levels difference i'm getting is the usual difference between classical and pop music mixes (classical always seems to be mixed > 6dB lower)

mkawa

Forum Donor
Want also to say in addition that when I listen from XLRs and switch to HP output I hear very low volume music from XLRs too. Is this normal?
yes, this is normal.

mkawa

Forum Donor
yah that's what i meant. someone else reported this.

does everyone have firmware 1.4 w/ hardware 1.2? (menu -> system)

they are distributing firmware updates for the sabaj d5 now; i suspect that this firmware is very close to the d5's. my firmware is dated 7/28/19. over in the d5 thread they have firmware dates of from like 2 weeks ago (!).

Aikaveikko

Anyone getting the magenta led with Tidal mqa on pc? I've seen green and blue with different KHz, but no magenta (which should be the whole unfolding thing). It also says in the manual that the filter setting doesn't affect the full mqa files or whatnow (magenta led). When the led is blue, the filter settings DO affect the sound. Settings in Tidal are all ON. I also installed the drivers from smsl.

Jaysz

Mines the same filters only work with mqa
No magenta led on mine
Asked shenzehenaudio
They said should change to magenta then said doesn't
Said filters don't change sound much but do
Smsl not replied to emails

mkawa

Forum Donor
i get magenta out of my ipad. haven't tried tidal connected to my pc yet. i can put this on the todo

the manual is a bit confusing, but my impression is that mqa is decoding with the core module no matter what color it is, as long as it says MQA..

armani006

I would like also report that MQA Master tracks with 96kHz and more sound much more better than I heared before. Even my ex player Onkyo DP-X1A which has also MQA decoding on board (as Onkyo says) didn't play so good as M500. I would say that mentioned MQA tracks play better than FLAC 24bit 96Khz from AIMP player. May be AIMP gives some internal effect on sound, not sure...

Toku

Major Contributor
Mine gave a bug yesterday, when I switched to next track suddenly sound changed to white noise. I switched Foobar2000 player to AIMP but it didn't help. Listened from XLRs. I swiched off M500 and turned on again and it helped. Had anybody the same problem?
I was very interested in your writing.
I also purchased the M500, but two days later I suffered from the storm-like noise of DSD2.8 and the distortion of the playback sound on PCM768k.
I tried various settings, but it did not improve.

What kind of files do you get noise when you play?
DSD? PCM? What is the bit rate?
The following is a video of DSD2.8 noise generation. Is it the same phenomenon as your noise?

https://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B07X4FM42B/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Eventually I decided it was a defective product and asked Amazon.jjp to return it.
And just returned from Japan to SHENZHEN AUDIO in China.

Veri

Master Contributor
I was very interested in your writing.
I also purchased the M500, but two days later I suffered from the storm-like noise of DSD2.8 and the distortion of the playback sound on PCM768k.
I tried various settings, but it did not improve.

What kind of files do you get noise when you play?
DSD? PCM? What is the bit rate?
The following is a video of DSD2.8 noise generation. Is it the same phenomenon as your noise?

https://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B07X4FM42B/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Eventually I decided it was a defective product and asked Amazon.jjp to return it.
And just returned from Japan to SHENZHEN AUDIO in China.
Do you think these could be XMOS driver problems?

Toku

Major Contributor
Do you think these could be XMOS driver problems?
I had trouble with Topping D50 with similar symptoms and consulted with Topping engineers several times.
At that time they replied that there was a problem with the firmware, and then the firmware was updated and the problem was solved, though not perfect.
So I think the M500 also has a firmware problem

Actually, there are some other problems with M500 that I knew.
Due to the trouble with DX3 Pro, this time I chose to return it as it is.

Excuse me, forgive me the wrong English.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
It was not a real noise, it was quiet music sound from XLRs whet active output was Headphone's output.

I have the same low volume XLR output with mine.

Shoaibexpert

Any ideas if it's worth upgrading from SMSL SU 8? Considering the Pro chip over the Q2M and all! MQA is not a preference but is nice to have. Also, which PCM filter sounds best on these for headphones...I'm confused! Using SU8 Bal to THX 789 to HiFiman Arya. Thanks

mkawa

Forum Donor
i also get the blue MQA light when using the windows drivers and connecting via USB. tidal exclusive mode volume maximizing mode and passthrough mqa

Top Bottom