• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New SMSL M500

killervidra

Hi, All,

I'm a newbie here and searched for a good performance / price DAC with XLR outs, checked the discussion on this forum back and forth. SMSL has been released recently The M500, which would fit to my needs (however I found first SU-8, but was unavaiable in Europe)
Since SU-8 tested by Amir with a good result and M500 is not reviewed yet, I would go with SU-8, but I found a promise sent by SMSL-Mandy, that M500 will be send to Amir after 02.09.2019 .
Please, Mandy , if you sent it already, please let us know !!!!!

If it is on the way, then i would wait till the result and change my mind to M500 :)

1567592799133.png

eXlero

Hi! I'm a Tidal HiFi subscriber, so was looking for a DAC with MQA decoding capabilities, also need balanced out for my Amp. So the M500 would be the perfect combo. This is why I'm also looking forward to the measurement results and also to some reviews/feedbacks.
Related to the M500s MQA capabilites: in the description they mention it's a full MQA Decoder (so not an MQA Renderer, like the AudioQuest DragonFly) - so I was wondering if this is just marketing/bad wording, or the real deal.

masonHsieh

I'd like to know about it too. I place my order on 3rd Sep, but the status shows it's waiting for the dispatch.
Btw, I bought it from a Chinese website, and they sold it for 2200rmb only.

OP
K

killervidra

Hi! I'm a Tidal HiFi subscriber, so was looking for a DAC with MQA decoding capabilities, also need balanced out for my Amp. So the M500 would be the perfect combo. This is why I'm also looking forward to the measurement results and also to some reviews/feedbacks.
Related to the M500s MQA capabilites: in the description they mention it's a full MQA Decoder (so not an MQA Renderer, like the AudioQuest DragonFly) - so I was wondering if this is just marketing/bad wording, or the real deal.
Hi, it should me more than a renderer, since the hw is there to decode and no spec. Sw mentioned. So there is a good chance to do the job well :)

OP
K

killervidra

I have not received any notifications for the M500 shipment. So if it happens, it will be a while.
Hi, i have got a promise from Mandy, that she will send a sample to you :) Fingers crossed ;)

Sak

Hi.
Topping DX7s vs New SMSL M500, which is best buy right now ?

Julery

First Post:). Interested in the outcome of testing. MQA and XMOS XU216 is a plus. I doubt is a MQA hardware encoder, that will be upcoming ESS9068 Q2M chip. The 9038 pro chip is a plus too . Several times more expensive then 9038Q2M.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Hi.
Topping DX7s vs New SMSL M500, which is best buy right now ?
You should wait until I review the M500. It is supposed to come but has not yet.

maxxevv

Major Contributor
You should wait until I review the M500. It is supposed to come but has not yet.

Not forgetting the DX7Pro that's supposed to be in the pipeline and release was pushed back . Should hear something about it this month I guess ??

w1000i

Forum Donor
First Post:). Interested in the outcome of testing. MQA and XMOS XU216 is a plus. I doubt is a MQA hardware encoder, that will be upcoming ESS9068 Q2M chip. The 9038 pro chip is a plus too . Several times more expensive then 9038Q2M.
XMOS XU216 should be MQA hardware encoder

Sak

w1000i

Forum Donor
U guys hyping out MQA should read Archimago blog...
Totally agree, the idea of MQA to strem music in small size, and if some one have hi-res music in 192khz that I believe will sound as good or better than MQA. And my opinion if you want better filter and upsamling algorithm all the way to chords dac.

Last edited:

Naxos41

Archimago's main point is that MQA introduces errors. Therefore you should be opting for uncompressed hi-res over MQA-encoded hi-res if you are given those two choices. This is a conclusion that most people, including myself, can accept san file sizes. He then extends his argument to call MQA an unnecessary format.

Tidal has ignored his (and others') criticisms and chose to stream MQA-encoded files as the sole hi-res format. Today, your only two choices at Tidal are MQA-encoded hi-res (typically 24/96 and as high as 24/352.8) vs CD's 16/44.1. Between these two files, the difference is discernible. Increased bit size and frequency easily make up for whatever errors that MQA introduces. The situation may change in a few years, but right now MQA decoding is valuable for Tidal listeners.

Fawzay

Im kinda skeptical in regards of MQA and most audiophile disregard this format as it is some marketing gimmick however, i also research about it and alot of debate going on in this MQA related and also found a link that explains the MQA -thingy: https://www.thewelltemperedcomputer.com/KB/MQA.htm

Naxos41

Once more, the choice is not between MQA vs uncompressed hi-res for TIDAL users.

A step back, the choice could be between TIDAL vs Qobuz. I surely looked at the latter, but their selection is so dismal in some areas that I also need (kid's music and J-pops for my children), it is not an option. TIDAL is my only valid current option for lossless streaming.

If some of you MQA crusaders want to abolish MQA, be my guest and work on that. Meanwhile, it is a benefit to my listening pleasure. To each his own.

Last edited:

masonHsieh

Updated: They start shipping now. Hopefully, we can see the review later this month :)

Top Bottom