• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New SMSL A300 BTL Class-d Power Amp

DanielT

Major Contributor
Forgive the ignorance of this question, with the amp being BT enabled, do I need a separate streamer or could I stream from my phone or PC directly to the amp? Thanks in advance.
Yeah that works. But BT is about 1/3 of cd quality
Yet, and correct me if I'm wrong because I'm bad at this with knowledge about Bluetooth and aptX, BUT IF the A300 with Bluetooth 5.0 uses Qualcomm aptX HD, it should have good sound quality, right? If the A300 has Qualcomm aptX HD I don't know.

Screenshot_2022-12-05_131509.jpg

Screenshot_2022-12-05_131727.jpg

Edit:
Don't ask me about aptX. I don't know how it works, really. But please tell me. Or maybe there is already a thread about Qualcomm aptX HD+ Bluetooth 5.0? :)

Edit 2:

Last edited:

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
I think the BT chipset in the A300 is primitive in that it only supports sbc/aac - be that as it may, I think for its intended purpose it will operate fine... dont expect super hi fi performance however you shouldnt be expecting "super hi fi performance " with a device that has Qualcomm's own codecs or even Sony's LDAC...

BT is a lossy type transmission method.

I would always recommend people try it out... just for fun... and education, play some mp3 and flac over to the A300 via your phone and see if you like the sound that comes out... I think most people will be ok with it as occasional listening.... ie. play something while you do stuff around the home... dont treat it like you're sitting there with reference material.

I would also question relying too much on manufacturer's reading material about their own products... i think qualcomm are pushing the sales of their silicon more than anything else.

Be that as it may, I do prefer qualcomm phones and headsets and at least the OPTION to choose AptX codecs when desired.

DanielT

Major Contributor
I think the BT chipset in the A300 is primitive in that it only supports sbc/aac - be that as it may, I think for its intended purpose it will operate fine... dont expect super hi fi performance however you shouldnt be expecting "super hi fi performance " with a device that has Qualcomm's own codecs or even Sony's LDAC...

BT is a lossy type transmission method.

I would always recommend people try it out... just for fun... and education, play some mp3 and flac over to the A300 via your phone and see if you like the sound that comes out... I think most people will be ok with it as occasional listening.... ie. play something while you do stuff around the home... dont treat it like you're sitting there with reference material.

I would also question relying too much on manufacturer's reading material about their own products... i think qualcomm are pushing the sales of their silicon more than anything else.

Be that as it may, I do prefer qualcomm phones and headsets and at least the OPTION to choose AptX codecs when desired.
Tip from staticV3 in the thread I just created. Regarding testing, that is. :)

Attachments

• Screenshot_2022-12-05_151712.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-12-05_151712.jpg
    409.4 KB · Views: 41

Toku

Major Contributor
BT5.0 is a standard for wireless communication. Standards such as APTX and APTX-HD refer to the type of data that uses the communication path.
Unfortunately, the BT module used for A300 supports BT5.0 for the communication method, but the data transmission type only supports SBC/AAC.
SMSL does not explain anything about this on HP or manual.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
I thought it was pretty clear.

To support AptX and that sort you need a BT chipset made by qualcomm... this is NOT the case with the A300

FURTHER you need a phone with the qualcomm chipset

that is the qualcomm ecosystem

This is where it gets funky or crappy depending on your view.

If you have a qualcomm phone well then it defaults down to sbc ONLY on the A300

qualcomm afalk do not support AAC (they obviously want to push AptX and by omitting AAC is telling)

if you have a non qualcomm phone like a Mediatek then you can choose between AAC or SBC on your phone... whether you will hear any difference is another thing.

I spend a reasonable amount of time w/ bluetooth anc headsets to come to this. its a fairly odd situation.

AFAIK you could possibly pair this with a Windows PC and then it even gets more messy.

DanielT

Major Contributor
Thanks Toku and TonyJZX for your answers and explanations! :)

Bluetooth, AptX, qualcomm is not really something I thought of in decent HiFi contexts, therefore I have not really explored its possibilities and limitations. BUT I was just curious today about how far development has gone in that wireless area. Conclusion, for my own part, I will not use the mentioned wireless solutions, other than maybe for background music or podcasts, talk radio.

Also, that qualcomm ecosystem...forget it. Seems too circumstantial, for me anyway.:)

Destination: Moon

The DA9 supposedly has the Qualcom BT chipset. I use my SU9 with LDAC all the time and love it. Can control the music from my chair super easily and honestly I dont hear much, if any difference when I have another DAC that I own - pump the analog converted source (HQ MP3) directly into the amp.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
the only downside to the DA9 is that it has less power but for a little bit more it comes with a whole lot more useful real world features

i would say the 50w should be sufficient really

i have a harman kardon bluray 50w digital amp hooked up and its more than powerful enough

asyverson

I tried a master-slave connection, but it is difficult to control the volume. The interlocking operation is strange and I can't understand it well. I feel that the sound quality is not good either.

After all, I stopped the master-slave method that uses the BTL-R output and used the two A300s as independent BTL operations.

procedure
1. Turn off the power switch on the back of the two A300s.
Disconnect the BTL-R connection cable. There is no change in the speaker connection. Is the same.

2. Connect the R-ch of the audio output cable from the DAC etc. to the L-ch of IN1 of the first A300, and connect the L-ch to the L-ch of IN1 of the second A300.
If there are other connected devices, connect them to IN2 L-ch in the same way.

3. Turn on the power of the two A300s.

4. Set the amplifier operation to br1 in BTL mode.

5. Set the input mode to IN1.

6. Set the volume to the same level for both units. Subsequent adjustments are operated with the remote control.
The response of the remote control is good, and the volume of the two A300s and the items in the MENU work smoothly in tandem. It is very comfortable to be able to set two A300s at the same time with one remote control operation. Of course, the power can be turned on and off at the same time with the remote control.
Of course, BT and USB cannot be used in BTL mode.
THANK YOU, Toku. My small mind managed to work this out (2 X A300s)....the sound is great. I appreciate you sharing the information for this setup.

asyverson

Hello! Have been using these A300s for awhile with my Triangle BR02s and recently just purchased an SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer. Was wondering what solutions you guys used to connect to your subs? I've heard the SW out > LFE for subs isn't optimal for music use and high level connections are preferred, but given there are only 1 set of speaker outputs on these amps how did you guys get over this? Besides the obvious solution of buying another sub but ideally not =). Does LFE really offer lower sound quality over high level connections with speaker outputs? Have you guys used a splitter OR tried connecting two sets of wires to the speaker outputs on the A300s?
Kix1991 - Did you figure this out or read a response that helped? I was using a single A300 happily with a subwoofer...now I've paired 2 A300s and I ran two single (rca/coax) cables from each A300 out the the "Left/LFE" and the other to "Right" on the subwoofer....have you tried that? I'm not convinced this is the ideal connectivity.

san

Hi Guys,

I sold my 1 month old A300. I was using it with Q Acoustics 3020i speakers. The sound was good at low volumes under 30. But when I crank the volume above 30 the highs become piercing and it is unbearable in some songs.

Now I'm thinking of buying DA-9. Will it be any better than the A300 or should I look for something else.

Toku

Major Contributor
Hi Guys,

I sold my 1 month old A300. I was using it with Q Acoustics 3020i speakers. The sound was good at low volumes under 30. But when I crank the volume above 30 the highs become piercing and it is unbearable in some songs.

Now I'm thinking of buying DA-9. Will it be any better than the A300 or should I look for something else.
The sound quality is slightly different between the DA-9 and the A300, but I don't think it will solve your dissatisfaction with the A300.
I think you'd be better off with a class AB analog amp like the Topping LA90 than a class D amp.

Reactions: san

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The sound quality is slightly different between the DA-9 and the A300, but I don't think it will solve your dissatisfaction with the A300.
I think you'd be better off with a class AB analog amp like the Topping LA90 than a class D amp.
You can't say that unless you know the reason for the sound problems currently experienced.

If they are speaker/room interactions causing the "piercing" sound, no changing of amp will solve it.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
there's not enough info to go on

does that speaker work 'better' on a class a/b? person has to try it out

is it worth spending double or triple on a sabaj a30? i doubt it

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
there's not enough info to go on

does that speaker work 'better' on a class a/b? person has to try it out

is it worth spending double or triple on a sabaj a30? i doubt it
First - it is highly unlikely that a class AB amp with flat FR replacing a Class D amp with flat FR will have any significant impact on this quality of sound.

It would make far more sense for @san to further investigate what may be going on with the current kit. I'd start with getting or borrowing a measurment mic, and taking some in room measurements with REW. Then use equalisation to correct any in room FR issues.

They could also try setting up the amp/speakers in a different room to see if it is room related.

Going down the road of trial and error with costly equipment is an expensive hiding to nothing.

Reactions: san

Romario

If your flatscreen tv is in between the speakers try to cover it up with a blanket or other fabric and see if that could be the cause of early reflections and distortion.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
my a300 either sits under a 32" lcd or a 55" tv... and no odd noises

i find it kind of funny in that this forum seems to be a hive of various issues with various pieces of equipment from china and abroad and the a300 distinguishes itself by being quite fault free... for sure it does not try to do tooo much... it does not pretend to be a good dac or good bt host but what it does, it does quite well

i was expecting more issues frankly

Pippo

My temporary placement is NEC 27" between A300 and C200. All is noise free and good.
About power consumption of A300. When switch from backside is on and front power button is off, the unit consumes 2.1 watts. Somwhere around the net in specs wrote less than 0.5 watts. Playing music - 5-5.5 watts. Sound level at 35-40 on display. Together with the dac it is 8-8.5 watts of power - appr. 4-5 time less than my class A-B when I listening music. I never turn off my old amp because there was always the risk of burning something. Switching off electronically with the remote control is already safer.
I'm still learning how to configure better player, dac and amp

regan

SMSL A300 Hi-res Power Amplifier 165W*2 BTL Mode Bluetooth 5.0​

This is the new power amplifier

• Input:RCA,BT,USB
  • THD+N:0.004%
  • SNR:103dB
  • ChanneL separation:85dB
  • Cutoff frequency (in high pass mode):50Hz
  • Input Sensitivity / Input Impedance:28OmV/22kΩ
  • Output Power:
  • Input:RCA,BT,USB
  • THD+N:0.004%
  • SNR:103dB
  • ChanneL separation:85dB
  • Cutoff frequency (in high pass mode):50Hz
  • Input Sensitivity / Input Impedance:28OmV/22kΩ
  • Output Power:
    • Stereo 165Wx2(4Ω) / 85Wx2(8Ω)
      BTL 330Wx1(4-8Ω)
  • Power consumption:40W(normaL voLume)
  • Size:210.5X41X198mm(WxHxD)
  • Weight 1.3kg / 2.86Lbs
  • Power consumption:40W(normaL voLume)
  • Size:210.5X41X198mm(WxHxD)
  • Weight 1.3kg / 2.86Lbs
Click for more Pics: https://hifi-express.com/products/smsl-a300-hi-res-power-amplifier
  • Hi-res AUDIO certification
  • Germany’s Infineon’s new digitaL high-power ampLifier chip
  • Japan’s NJRC company electronic voLume control chip NJW1194
  • BTL Mode(Bridgetie load) 165W*2
Greater power! It can be Bridgetie load into a single-channel amplifier with higher power to drive a large speaker!
Can form a 2.1 audio system
  1. The built-in high-pass fiLter circuit can fiLter out the subwoofer, drive the main speaker, and cooperate with the subwoofer to form a 2.1 system.
  2. Equipped with subwoofer signal pre-output, it is convenient to connect active subwoofers to form a 2.1 system.
  • Bluetooth 5.0
  • SMSL 5DB patented sound effects
  • Can form a 2.1 system
  • Audiophile Audio Components
  • High-quality dedicated switching power suppLy
  • Newly designed remote control
Please send one to Amir for measurements! Really interested in this one!

DanielT

Major Contributor
Below you will find a link to the data on the amplifier chip that Audiophonics says it is based on, ie: Infineon MA12070

If you are curious. Maybe it was already brought up in the thread? In any case, here it is::)

Screenshot_2022-12-15_192907.jpg

Incidentally, the same amplifier chip Loxjie A30 is based on, is built with.

Tests for Loxjie A30 can be found here:

Edit:
Audiophonics may have listed the wrong amplifier chip in the SMSL A300, see #40 in this thread where Toku mentions that the SMSL A300 is based on Infineon MA5332MS.Just got the information about it from another thread.:)

Attachments

• Screenshot_2022-12-15_192635.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-12-15_192635.jpg
    390.6 KB · Views: 82
  • Screenshot_2022-12-15_194722.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-12-15_194722.jpg
    429.1 KB · Views: 76
  • Screenshot_2022-12-15_203939.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-12-15_203939.jpg
    519.5 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
Top Bottom