• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New Neumann MA 1 - Automatic Monitor Alignment

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I didn't see that option. AFAIR you can only choose between saved presets, restore defaults(called "send backplate" or something it empties the preset selection dropdown) and create new preset after a new measurement.
You can edit an existing alignment (orange "Pen"-symbol -> edit), change Eq settings, press "realign" and then save under a different name. No need to remeasure.
The most recent version is 2.2.1, i think. Maybe you have an old version?

1712751247825.png

fakemaxwell

I haven't bought the multichannel extension yet (it's crazy that it's an additional cost, to be honest). I'm flipping back and forth between 2.2 stereo (MA1 Aligned) and 5.1 (unaligned) currently.

I have 3x KH120II, 2x KH750, 2x KH80. LR go into left sub, C and Lfe go into right sub. When in stereo, I send a duplicate of LR to right sub digitally through RME Totalmix, so no physical cable repatching to switch between setups.

How would this work in 5.1 with the MA 1? Would I have to unplug all the cables and go directly into the KH120s? Will the LRC be able to use the bass management of the 750s or are the subs only for Lfe? I searched for information but found none specific enough. Anybody have any experience?

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I haven't bought the multichannel extension yet (it's crazy that it's an additional cost, to be honest).
Not crazy at all. Dirac Live multichannel + DLBC + UMIK costs way more (more than twice, i think). Sonarworks costs roughly the same, also with additional fee for multichannel. GLM costs a bit less, but the Genelec speakers are a lot more expensive. So it is prized competitively.

fakemaxwell

Not crazy at all. Dirac Live multichannel + DLBC + UMIK costs way more (more than twice, i think). Sonarworks costs roughly the same, also with additional fee for multichannel. GLM costs a bit less, but the Genelec speakers are a lot more expensive. So it is prized competitively.
Oh well, here nor there. If it works with my setup I'll buy it, if it requires extensive finagling to switch I won't.

Zaireeka

Hey there, I'd like to switch from analog to digital inputs on my KH120 without having to redo all the measurement process since the speakers position isn't going to change.

Any idea on how I could simply copy an Alignment (Notches) from one setup (Desktop 2.0 in my case) to an other?
Or maybe which file can I edit to switch from Analog to Automatic/SPDIF inputs?

Thanks!

1714512832069.png

SmallAvatar

Hi, everyone! I have Neumann KH-150. In addition, my room is party ready for the better sound. From the beginning, they sounded great, except the bass. It was too much. I bought MA1 for correction. And my friend has Dayton Audio IMM-6 correction mic. So, I have a few questions

1. It’s impossible to set up same length for the triangle for the sweet spot. But in Neumann app I should use the same length, because I have to put in a=b=c - 1 measurement only. So In fact, I listen closer than the distance between speakers. However, during measurement I set up MA1 right in the corner of the equilateral triangle. I guess, this is the right way in my case. What do you think?
2. I attached the correction of the MA1. After the correction, the result was not very noticeable. Just a little. Why does MA1 always make +2dB for the bass line? The orange one. I saw the same on other user’s graphs?
3. After MA-1 correction we used Dayton Audio IMM-6 + REW. It showed a big bass boost at around 52Hz and 120Hz. So, we used EQ for the correction and eventually the frequency response graph become flat. The extra bass went away. Why MA1 didn’t correct so much amount of bass? I attached image for the EQ with current (best for myself) settings after MA1 correction.

Attachments

• eq.jpg
    eq.jpg
    181.2 KB · Views: 57
  • ma1.png
    ma1.png
    182.7 KB · Views: 46
  • rew.jpg
    rew.jpg
    657.2 KB · Views: 58
  • room.jpg
    room.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 56

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi, everyone! I have Neumann KH-150. In addition, my room is party ready for the better sound. From the beginning, they sounded great, except the bass. It was too much. I bought MA1 for correction. And my friend has Dayton Audio IMM-6 correction mic. So, I have a few questions

1. It’s impossible to set up same length for the triangle for the sweet spot. But in Neumann app I should use the same length, because I have to put in a=b=c - 1 measurement only. So In fact, I listen closer than the distance between speakers. However, during measurement I set up MA1 right in the corner of the equilateral triangle. I guess, this is the right way in my case. What do you think?
2. I attached the correction of the MA1. After the correction, the result was not very noticeable. Just a little. Why does MA1 always make +2dB for the bass line? The orange one. I saw the same on other user’s graphs?
3. After MA-1 correction we used Dayton Audio IMM-6 + REW. It showed a big bass boost at around 52Hz and 120Hz. So, we used EQ for the correction and eventually the frequency response graph become flat. The extra bass went away. Why MA1 didn’t correct so much amount of bass? I attached image for the EQ with current (best for myself) settings after MA1 correction.
The MA1 should be at the listening position (first measurement position). Just tell the software the distance between LP and speakers. It can't correct the bass at LP if the measurement takes place somewhere else.

SmallAvatar

The MA1 should be at the listening position (first measurement position). Just tell the software the distance between LP and speakers. It can't correct the bass at LP if the measurement takes place somewhere else.
In this case the result also not the same as in REW.

Attachments

• изображение_2024-05-15_111324664.png
    изображение_2024-05-15_111324664.png
    132.6 KB · Views: 34

SmallAvatar

I have a question, because being an automatic correction with MA-1, which must be an FIR filter, do you show those PEQ active? That's something you've marked manually, right?
Yes, I made a small correction manually, because it was +2dB bass level on the target curve, but I already have too much bass even after the correction (and this shows the REW + Dayton Audio IMM-6 mic). I will make one more measure in a few days to check the original state. Anyway, it does not eliminate the bass on 52Hz and 120Hz, as REW shows. I can hear that. And I can't understand why there as a 2dB boost in the Bass area on the target curve?

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, I made a small correction manually, because it was +2dB bass level on the target curve, but I already have too much bass even after the correction (and this shows the REW + Dayton Audio IMM-6 mic). I will make one more measure in a few days to check the original state. Anyway, it does not eliminate the bass on 52Hz and 120Hz, as REW shows. I can hear that. And I can't understand why there as a 2dB boost in the Bass area on the target curve?
I don't understand what you did and what the measurements show. The REW graph looks like the "before" graph in MA1. Is the correction from MA1 not applied? It shows huge corrections that should be very noticeable.

Edit: Regarding the 2 dB boost in bass: I can´t explain this very well, but If you put a neutral speaker in a room, the measurements on the listening position would always show a downward slope (more bass than treble). AFAIK, the bigger the distance, the more. This is what the human brain expects. So it is always recommended not using a completely flat target curve as a starting point. Neumann is actually pretty conservative. Dirac usually uses a much bigger bass boost.
If it is too much you can adjust to taste, of course. The software tries setting a good target depending on the data it knows about the room, but it is possible you just don´t like it. But if you did not notice much of a difference, i suspect something else went wrong and the 2dB are not the real problem here.

Last edited:

vaskin2

I don't understand what you did and what the measurements show. The REW graph looks like the "before" graph in MA1. Is the correction from MA1 not applied? It shows huge corrections that should be very noticeable.
I’ll try to briefly explain what’s on the graphs that SmallAvatar posted in post #1,347:
1. first we tuning Neuman's using microphone MA1 through the Neuman application, applied correction(photo ma1.jpg), the sound did not change much.
2. then we got measurements in REW through the IMM-6C microphone, got the REW.jpg graph, realized that there was still a lot of bass and got the coefficients for the equalizer
3. we configured the equalizer with REW coefficients (and manual correction) and got a flat(+-) graph in REW (no photo)

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I’ll try to briefly explain what’s on the graphs that SmallAvatar posted in post #1,347:
1. first we tuning Neuman's using microphone MA1 through the Neuman application, applied correction(photo ma1.jpg), the sound did not change much.
2. then we got measurements in REW through the IMM-6C microphone, got the REW.jpg graph, realized that there was still a lot of bass and got the coefficients for the equalizer
3. we configured the equalizer with REW coefficients (and manual correction) and got a flat(+-) graph in REW (no photo)
Ok, thanks for explaining. To me it looks like something went wrong.
I suggest making a before/after measurement with REW at the same mic position as the first measurement mic position with MA1.

pferdeworscht

I completely agree with DJBonoBobo, that something might have gone wrong. According to my (first) experience with the MA1-correction, I assume that the displayed correction should lead to a distinctive and noticeable difference in sound.

Here is an example of my correction and the change (with vs without correction) was easily identifiable. After a first, quick installation, the Neumann KH120II sounded impressive, but I quickly realized that the bass was too much and the mids were too shy (or rather masked by the bass, as resulted from the correction).
After the correction with the MA1 it was way better, which was obvious by enabling/disabling the correction (and it fixed my first impression of too much bass, too shy mids).

And I have to say, the measurements were done more quickly and easier as I assumed (never done something in this direction before and I was a bit skeptical because of the mentioned bugs and flaws, but everything went smooth for me).

@DJBonoBobo And a big thanks to you for this thread and your other descriptions and work on the MA1-correction. Amirm's review of the Neumann KH120II led me to put the KH120II on my "Wishlist". Your work led me to add the MA1 and when I saw a discounted bundle, I stretched my budget... I don't regret it^^

Attachments

• MA1-correction.png
    MA1-correction.png
    130 KB · Views: 11
Top Bottom