• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New Neumann MA 1 - Automatic Monitor Alignment

HIFIBOY

Hello kindleman,

The Neumann MA 1 measurement microphone can be used as a standard measurement microphone also in combination with other software applications. It requires 48 V phantom power and has the parameters as frequency linearity, max SPL and noise level according to the data sheet.

However, since every MA 1 microphone is measured individually during production it can be calibrated to a class 1 measurement microphone. Therefore, we provide a MICROPHONE LINEARIZATION tool on our website.

By entering in the individual calibration code printed on every microphone into the calculator the tool provides a compensation file which then can be imported into a measurement software as microphone calibration table.
View attachment 345510
View attachment 345509

In the MA 1 software you can select backplate mode alignment which disables the calibration data previously calculated and uploaded into the loudspeakers/subs by the software.
If a noticeable latency occurs that usually indicates that a strong mode is at or around the x-over frequency (80 Hz). If this is the case it may make sense to look for a better position of subwoofer or monitors.
Despite a amplitude correction the algorithm optimizes the coherence between sub and monitors to achieve a maximum tight bass response. If there is a strong mode the group-delay next to it increases which then can increase latency.

With best regards,

Markus
Hello markus.

1.1.10 Firmware, there is a situation that the light is not on after standby sleep, and the power needs to be turned off for 2 minutes, and then the startup is normal.

Markus @ Neumann

Audio Company
Hello markus.

1.1.10 Firmware, there is a situation that the light is not on after standby sleep, and the power needs to be turned off for 2 minutes, and then the startup is normal.
Hello HIFIBOY,

Yes there is a bug with the current firmware version. We are working on that. For the time beeing please leave the device turned off for at least 2 mins or disable the stand by function.
Sorry for the inconvenience.

With best regards,

Markus

sm5

Forum Donor
Yes there is a bug with the current firmware version. We are working on that.
As a suggestion for a future software/firmware update: adding 5.1.2 calibration for the MA-1 multichannel extension would be great.

The reason for this is on Apple computers: the only settings for outputs are 5.1/6.1/7.1/7.1 Rear/Quad/Hex/Oct
& Atmos 5.1.2 & 7.1.4. (They for some reason don't have a 5.1.4 or 7.1.2 output setting!)

I'm sure most owners would appreciate being able to calibrate to Apple's standard 5.1.2 Atmos output. (If anyone knows someone at Apple who could suggest adding 5.1.4/7.1.2 as they already have 7.1.4 - that would great too.)

Thanks!

Panosbak

Completely disappointed.

I've purchased a pair of KH 120 II just before Neumann started to offer the discounted bundle kit with the MA-1.

Contacted Neumann and the authorised reseller and both stated they couldn't do anything. (Not even a discount for the MA-1)

I'm ok with that so I decided to buy the MA-1 paying the full price for it.

Have spend 2 days in row trying to make it work. No luck at all..

MA-1 software is unable to detect the monitors. Bought new CAT6 cables, bought 2 different network switches. Tried online and offline. Nothing..

I have followed every step in the instructions manual, the KH-120 II settings are correct. Routing for Network and audio is correct

My setup is: MacBook M1 Pro 14" running macOS 14.4 / pair of KH-120 II / Tascam Model 12 (used as an audio interface) / TP LINK USB Type C to RJ45 Gigabit (UE300C)

The serial numbers of my monitors are before 6173455293 as mentioned previously here.

What should I do? Paid already MORE than 2K. I give up..

@Markus @ Neumann

@schallmauer

@support_neumann

Last edited:

Vanx

Completely disappointed.

I've purchased a pair of KH 120 II just before Neumann started to offer the discounted bundle kit with the MA-1.

Contacted Neumann and the authorised reseller and both stated they couldn't do anything. (Not even a discount for the MA-1)

MA-1 software is unable to detect the monitors. Bought new CAT6 cables, bought 2 different network switches. Tried online and offline. Nothing..

I have followed every step in the instructions manual, the KH-120 II settings are correct. Routing for Network and audio is correct

My setup is: MacBook M1 Pro 14" running macOS 14.4 / pair of KH-120 II / Tascam Model 12 (used as an audio interface) / TP LINK USB Type C to RJ45 Gigabit (UE300C)

The serial numbers of my monitors are before 6173455293 as mentioned previously here.

@Markus @ Neumann

@schallmauer

@support_neumann
I feel you as I did the same thing, bought a pair of KH150 AND the Ma1 few days before the "free MA1" campaign started, but both the shop and Neumann said nothing when I inquired if it was possible to do something.

The really incredible thing is that the support is totally silent, I mean, it is A BIG company playing in the higher leagues of pro audio, I can't understand how is this even possible and acceptable. (and I've spent thousands of euros on their product, but this shouldn't give me any priority over other users, you MUST have a competent and quick support team anyway).

I'm still waiting to understand how to get the LH66 supports for my KH150 fixed/replaced as they are defective, I'm waiting since early December......

Kudos go to Markus that is always very kind and supportive, but he isn't and shouldn't be working as a customer care/support member!

Panosbak

Yes, you are right. But as a desperate customer who spend a fair amount of money this is the last thing I will do.

In every video I saw, the whole process seems to be very simple. unfortunately this is not the case.

Digging online for a solution is a nightmare and timing consuming. Time that I don't have unfortunately.

If no solution is found within the next days, i will return the MA-1 back to the shop. hope they will accept it and get my money back.

boxerfan88

Wow.. it looks quite binary. MA1 either works super smoothly, or doesn’t work with lots of trouble. I wonder why…

Software issues or speaker side issues or both?

feitaishi

Completely disappointed.

@Markus @ Neumann

@schallmauer

@support_neumann
Have you tried a different RJ45 adapter? My instinct tells me there may be something wrong with tp link stuff.

Panosbak

Have you tried a different RJ45 adapter? My instinct tells me there may be something wrong with tp link stuff.
Tried with different cat 6 cables and 2 different switch.
Tried with my girlfriend's MacBook also today.

Next step is to try with a windows laptop that has Ethernet port.

The TP link works on my MacBook when used for internet. Plugged in directly to my modem instead of WiFi. I don't want to spend more money buying another adapter..

AddaAudio

Tried with different cat 6 cables and 2 different switch.
Tried with my girlfriend's MacBook also today.

Next step is to try with a windows laptop that has Ethernet port.

The TP link works on my MacBook when used for internet. Plugged in directly to my modem instead of WiFi. I don't want to spend more money buying another adapter..
I've been working with the Ma1 for a year or so now and I find generally it's my OS X network settings that are the issue - not sure if that's any help - but I would spend my time trying to get that configured differently and see if it triggers the connection - good luck frustrating as hell when it doesn't work but she'll go I reckon

Panosbak

I'm really happy to inform you that everything worked finally!

To my understanding the issue was the old firmware my monitors had (1.0 or something like that). Some sort of miscommunication between the monitors and the latest MA1 software.

They send me an earlier version of MA1 software. (Version 1.6.4.3433)

The earlier version detected the monitors first try and immediately asked me to update to 1.1.7 firmware for both monitors.

After the successful update I tried latest version available for MA1 at the time (2.1) Again the software detected the monitors and asked me to update 1.1.10 and both monitors updated successfully.

I had another issue on the next step as MA1 couldn't detect the microphone.

Neumann told me they will release an updated version of MA1 that will solve minor bugs. Thankfully that was the case!

Updated one last time to 2.2 and everything worked out finally!

I'm more than satisfied with the final result after the measurements for my semi-treated room. Bass response is much tighter, stereo image is now very clear!

Thanks to Markus who tried to help me, everyone who responded here and of course to Neumann support team for the solution eventually!

Last edited:

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm really happy to inform you that everything worked finally!

To my understanding the issue was the old firmware my monitors had (1.0 or something like that). Some sort of miscommunication between the monitors and the latest MA1 software.

They send me an earlier version of MA1 software. (Version 1.6.4.3433)

The earlier version detected the monitors first try and immediately asked me to update to 1.1.7 firmware for both monitors.

After the successful update I tried latest version available for MA1 at the time (2.1) Again the software detected the monitors and asked me to update 1.1.10 and both monitors updated successfully.

I had another issue on the next step as MA1 couldn't detect the microphone.

Neumann told me they will release an updated version of MA1 that will solve minor bugs. Thankfully that was the case!

Updated one last time to 2.2 and everything worked out finally!

I'm more than satisfied with the final result after the measurements for my semi-treated room. Bass response is much tighter, stereo image is now very clear!

Thanks to Markus who tried to help me, everyone who responded here and of course to Neumann support team for the solution eventually!
There is indeed a new version 2.2.1, but no changelog and no notification in the software version 2.1.1. yet.

VTKZ

Guys i wish you all a lot of luck with the MA1. Since yesterday, my journey with the KH750's is over (and also the MA1). Sold both Subs.

I will build up now an Array Solution. Already send my Subwoofer build Plans to my carpenter, the chassis will be speak 30W-4558t00 (classics in the Home cinema / DIY world).

He build four 62 L Cabinets for me and everything setup as Multi Sub System (like an Double Bass Array but only on the ground Level).

But its a longer project. Also need to buy miniDSPs & Amplifier etc but good thing is, the carpenter deliver the cabinets for free to my home.

And than i will see how this project will turn out.
There are simply too many bugs and frustrations over the past years that i dont want to use it any longer.
When it works the Results are good, but my patience is now over. Sorry, Neumann...

muchacho

Hello, I have a question. Does the MA1 program update to v2.2.1 automatically in the program, or does it have to be manually downloaded from the Neumann site and forcefully reinstall v2.1.1.800 to the new version? It was on v2.1.1.800 that the program offered me an update, but not on v2.2.1.

Vanx

Hello, I have a question. Does the MA1 program update to v2.2.1 automatically in the program, or does it have to be manually downloaded from the Neumann site and forcefully reinstall v2.1.1.800 to the new version? It was on v2.1.1.800 that the program offered me an update, but not on v2.2.1.
same for me, I had to download it manually

vamp

Had to spend extra 200$ on a audio interface as my chineese hifi spdif interface had no input for mic and my Motu m2 sound interface had no spdiff out and there was no way to use separate devices for input and output. -Please add this feature.
The whole process of calibration of 120II's&750 was smooth, the simplest 5$ Tp-link ls1005 network switch did the job well.
Too bad I have to recalibrate the room if I decide to tweak the EQ levels after some while. - Please add the feature to save room measurements and ability to reuse them when needed!
thanks!

Top Bottom