• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New Neumann MA 1 - Automatic Monitor Alignment

Vanx

Any of you guys know if Sonarworks ADDS or SUBTRACTS cal files value? so I should use stock or inverted txt file from Neumann? I asked the support but they weren't clear

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
MA 1 version 2.0.1 is available and fixes the crash-problem for me. I can load my old setups/alignments without re-calibrating.
Another old bug i had for some time (problems with volume jumps between changing things) is also resolved.
It is available through auto-update and the website.
Support says the download page has a wrong label that says "2.0.0" at the moment, but it is also version 2.0.1 there.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
MA 1 version 2.0.1 is available and fixes the crash-problem for me. I can load my old setups/alignments without re-calibrating.
Another old bug i had for some time (problems with volume jumps between changing things) is also resolved.
It is available through auto-update and the website.
Support says the download page has a wrong label that says "2.0.0" at the moment, but it is also version 2.0.1 there.
Could you help? I am a bit confused... is this the wrongly labeled 2.0.1 SW? This is at least what I get atm when I login into my Neumann profile. Or where did you get the 2.0.1 version. Thx.

1697878749163.png

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Could you help? I am a bit confused... is this the wrongly labeled 2.0.1 SW? This is at least what I get atm when I login into my Neumann profile. Or where did you get the 2.0.1 version. Thx.

View attachment 320288
Yes, this should be the wrongly labeled version 2.0.1.
I got it from opening my 2.0.0-installation, then i got an update notification popup and made the update through the app. I think they added the updater in 2.0.0.

Edit: This is what Neumann support wrote to me yesterday: "You can actually update from MA 1 itself. The installer in your online Neumann account is now also 2.0.1, although it is incorrectly labelled as 2.0.0 (a labelling error)."

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Yes, this should be the wrongly labeled version 2.0.1.
I got it from opening my 2.0.0-installation, then i got an update notification popup and made the update through the app. I think they added the updater in 2.0.0.

Edit: This is what Neumann support wrote to me yesterday: "You can actually update from MA 1 itself. The installer in your online Neumann account is now also 2.0.1, although it is incorrectly labelled as 2.0.0 (a labelling error)."
Ah ok... I am still on 1.5 or something, so no built-in updater, I guess. Does the new MA1 SW also update the KH... firmware (in my case KH80 Vers. 1.3.1.)?

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ah ok... I am still on 1.5 or something, so no built-in updater, I guess. Does the new MA1 SW also update the KH... firmware (in my case KH80 Vers. 1.3.1.)?
I don't know what the newest FW version is, but yes, when you update the MA1 software, it will update the firmware of connected speakers, if they don't have the newest version.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
I don't know what the newest FW version is, but yes, when you update the MA1 software, it will update the firmware of connected speakers, if they don't have the newest version.
Bingo....

1697880932321.png

Can confirm. First one downloads and installs the version 2.0.0.6554. When starting up, it asks to update and upon confirming and restart one gets 2.0.1.6557.

It then updated my KH80 firmware from 1.3.1. to 1.3.5.

All worked like a charm and kept my previous setup .... cool.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Ah one question....

What do they mean by licencse key? (one gets it when pressing on the new key symbol in the upper right corner). I dont recall I ever needed one in the past. Previously, all what was needed were the MA1 Microphone Serial Numer as far as I remember and entering that did not do the trick.

1697881615734.png

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Bingo....

View attachment 320300

Can confirm. First one downloads and installs the version 2.0.0.6554. When starting up, it asks to update and upon confirming and restart one gets 2.0.1.6557.

It then updated my KH80 firmware from 1.3.1. to 1.3.5.

All worked like a charm and kept my previous setup .... cool.
Good it worked for you, but this means the version on the download page is actually 2.0.0 and not 2.0.1 (because if it where 2.0.1, it shouldn't need to be updated again).

So either i misunderstood the mail from support or they were wrong.

Ah one question....

What do they mean by licencse key? (one gets it when pressing on the new key symbol in the upper right corner). I dont recall I ever needed one in the past. Previously, all what was needed were the MA1 Microphone Serial Numer as far as I remember and entering that did not do the trick.

View attachment 320303

This is for the upcoming multichannel extension (additional cost around 300 EUR).

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Good it worked for you, but this means the version on the download page is actually 2.0.0 and not 2.0.1 (because if it where 2.0.1, it shouldn't need to be updated again).

Yes (today) the downloadable version is not 2.0.1 the file name says so, the download page says so (see my screenshot further up) and upon first startup it also says, 2.0.0. But immediately displays a message after starting, warning of a possible crash and advises to update and to press "Yes". It then updates to 2.0.1, but does not restart on its own. So restart and all is good i.e. 2.0.1.

Filio45

Hardware Requirements include:

Audio interface with: o 1x balanced analog mic input with 48 V phantom power o 2 balanced analog outputs, S/PDIF outputs (only with KH 120 II KH 150), AES3 output (only with KH 750) or AES67 for AES67-enabled models

Does this mean that to measure the 120II, you need an interface with spdif outputs or will one with analogue outputs suffice? I only have an Arturia Minifuse 1 and will be using the digital connections ongoingly after the measurements are finished,

Last edited:

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hardware Requirements include:

Audio interface with: o 1x balanced analog mic input with 48 V phantom power o 2 balanced analog outputs, S/PDIF outputs (only with KH 120 II KH 150), AES3 output (only with KH 750) or AES67 for AES67-enabled models

Does this mean that to measure the 120II, you need an interface with spdif outputs or will one with analogue outputs suffice? I only have an Arturia Minifuse 1 and will be using the digital connnections ongoingly after the measurements are finished,
No it is meant you need either 2 balanced analog OR spdif OR...

vssyla

well, mine is instantly crashing when i select the "create new measurement" option. made sure my interface is at 48 khz, updated the software, even disconnected my audio interface entirely, etc.... no luck.

im on windows 10.

*edit* fixed it. i had a random/additional driver that was causing it to crash. disabled it and everything works great

Last edited:

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
well, mine is instantly crashing when i select the "create new measurement" option. made sure my interface is at 48 khz, updated the software, even disconnected my audio interface entirely, etc.... no luck.

im on windows 10.
I am on 10 too. Works ok. See above.

Please notify Neumann as this obviously should not be.

8bits

So I am considering buying a pair of KH-120 II for near-field listening at my computer desk. The MA-1 would add quite a significant chunk of change on top of the monitors. How much of a difference do you guys think the MA makes to the speakers for near-field? I feel that room modes for such close listening positions are less impactful and I can avoid using MA. Is that assumption fair?

vssyla

So I am considering buying a pair of KH-120 II for near-field listening at my computer desk. The MA-1 would add quite a significant chunk of change on top of the monitors. How much of a difference do you guys think the MA makes to the speakers for near-field? I feel that room modes for such close listening positions are less impactful and I can avoid using MA. Is that assumption fair?
personally i have a near-field listening situation as well. my problem was that almost ALL of the bass was a 2-3 feet behind my listening position. I ended up getting the MA and doing calibration, and it made a huge difference. everything is leveled at my listening position now. it definitely makes a huge difference, but if you wanted to save, you could use other software/mic calibration that's cheaper, maybe more bang for your buck.

vssyla

does anyone know where the alignment files are on pc? I did a calibration for my pc, and i want to send it over to my macbook. i realize i cant measure using my macbook because i cannot disable direct monitoring on my interface with it. this is because my interface is new and direct monitoring is only available through its software which doesnt run on my old mac.... basically i can import my pc measurement + setup or i can forget about using my mac at all (and i make 90% of my music on the mac!).

Last edited:

dominikz

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I feel that room modes for such close listening positions are less impactful and I can avoid using MA. Is that assumption fair?
Unfortunately not, even at very close range a room will mess-up the bass. Here's how my KH120A measure at less than 1m distance on my desk - notice the 50-80Hz bass suckout and the huge ~130Hz resonance, both very audible.
index.php

However in my case both issues can be fixed by a few bands of PEQ!

Top Bottom