• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New member from Gouda

Wenslauw

Good afternoon,

Yesterday I found this forum when I googled a Lyngdorf amplifier and today I decided to join.

I'm getting back into the audio world after not having had stereo system in my home for about a decade or two. Earlier this year I bought some headphones (Shure SRH1540 and Sennheiser HD660s) and DACs (Dragonfly red and Chord Mojo). Then I realised I wanted an audio system in the living room again.

I auditioned some Dynaudio and KEF speakers, a Marantz, Rega and Naim amplifier, but I'm still learning about what would be best for me. It's going to be quite a journey.

I'm looking forward to learning from you and sharing information.

Wens

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Dan woon je behoorlijk dicht bij mij in de buurt.

OP
Wenslauw

Wenslauw

And we're in the same work field too. I currently write software for designing railways. :)

Willem

Major Contributor
Van harte welkom vanuit Groningen. How much do you plan to spend, how big is the room, and what kind of music do you play? Plan on spending about 80% of the budget on speakers, and start with those first as they are the most imperfect links in the reproduction chain. Finding decent electronics for a good price is a piece of cake.

OP
Wenslauw

Wenslauw

Ha, I was born in Groningen. I'm still thinking of what path to take, but initially, it'll be about 6k for speakers and amplifier.

80% for the speakers? I keep hearing something like speakers double the price of the amplifier. I don't think that's an absolute though.
So far the best I've heard (at a reasonable price) are the KEF R3s. I've heard them on Arcam SA20, Hegel H90 and Naim Supernait 3. The Naim is more than double the price of the KEFs, but it's the only one that really makes them sing.

I play everything from acoustic, rock to classical.

I'm still wondering about placement though as I have a smallish oddly shaped living room. I measured the living room the other day and as the speakers I like are more than 33cm deep and should be away from the wall a bit, they do take up a lot of space.

Willem

Major Contributor
Welcome. I think Naim amplification is both expensive and not at all natural. Best electronics for a reasonable price is now an RME ADI-2 dac (no analogue inputs to waste money on) and a hypex module based power amplifier like those from March Audio. Between them they will cost just under 2000 euros for plenty of ultra clean power. My favourite speakers would be either the Harbeth m.30.1 or shl5+.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Welcome. I think Naim amplification is both expensive and not at all natural. Best electronics for a reasonable price is now an RME ADI-2 dac (no analogue inputs to waste money on) and a hypex module based power amplifier like those from March Audio. Between them they will cost just under 2000 euros for plenty of ultra clean power. My favourite speakers would be either the Harbeth m.30.1 or shl5+.
Best poweramps for a reasonable price IMV are those hidden within an active speaker. For 6k you can get the RME and a very fine pair of active speakers (Genelec, Neumann, JBL, ...) and maybe have some money left for a subwoofer.

OP
Wenslauw

Wenslauw

Thank you. It's all down to personal taste, isn't it? I've heard Harbeths, but they didn't impress. This might have to do with the less than ideal setup. We were too far from the speakers and they were too close to each other.

I've heard several amplifiers. A Primare i15, which sounded 'muddy', a Cyrus ONEcast, which sounded very good, detailed, spacious, some Hegels which sounded cold and distant and the Naim Supernait 3, which was very musical, detailed, nice separation between instruments. Most of them I heard connected to KEF R3s.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I've heard several amplifiers. A Primare i15, which sounded 'muddy', a Cyrus ONEcast, which sounded very good, detailed, spacious, some Hegels which sounded cold and distant and the Naim Supernait 3, which was very musical, detailed, nice separation between instruments. Most of them I heard connected to KEF R3s.
Uh huh.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't think this is the the best way to welcome a new member to the forum. I think most members join with with subjective views, with the hope that they will become more objective based on the evidence provided here. If someone tries to ram their subjective views down your throat, thats another matter, but Wenslauw doesn't come across that way.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
For your price range have you considered a floor standing speaker with separate amp and pre-amp?

OP
Wenslauw

Wenslauw

For your price range have you considered a floor standing speaker with separate amp and pre-amp?

Most floor standers are quite big. The footprint might be just as big as a bookshelf on a stand, but they will look rather massive in our living room. At this point in time I'm thinking of putting them where the current (small) speakers are, on both sides of the tv. As the room is only a little over 9 feet wide at the point where they'll be, I think I'd never get my wife to agree with big floor standers.

Separate power and pre-amp would be fine. No objection. It's all about achieving the best sound within limits like spousal approval and budget.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Most floor standers are quite big. The footprint might be just as big as a bookshelf on a stand, but they will look rather massive in our living room. At this point in time I'm thinking of putting them where the current (small) speakers are, on both sides of the tv. As the room is only a little over 9 feet wide at the point where they'll be, I think I'd never get my wife to agree with big floor standers.

Separate power and pre-amp would be fine. No objection. It's all about achieving the best sound within limits like spousal approval and budget.
Call me old fashioned but I'm not a fan of putting the electronics, amp and electronic crossover in the speaker cabinet.

Top Bottom