• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New member from Gouda

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't think this is the the best way to welcome a new member to the forum. I think most members join with with subjective views, with the hope that they will become more objective based on the evidence provided here. If someone tries to ram their subjective views down your throat, thats another matter, but Wenslauw doesn't come across that way.
Usually newcomers lurk around for some time before they join so they know what to expect;). I must have missed though that this is not the case here. As non native english speaker I'm not aware that "Uh huh" is offensive, so sorry if it came over as such.

OP
Wenslauw

Wenslauw

Call me old fashioned but I'm not a fan of putting the electronics, amp and electronic crossover in the speaker cabinet.

Someone else mentioned active speakers. I have thought about it as I read in several reviews where it said that it often works better than passive speakers, but I like the possibility of upgrading components.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Someone else mentioned active speakers. I have thought about it as I read in several reviews where it said that it often works better than passive speakers, but I like the possibility of upgrading components.
Yes, for sure and you can get a better amplifer or at the least control what you get.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Most floor standers are quite big. The footprint might be just as big as a bookshelf on a stand, but they will look rather massive in our living room. At this point in time I'm thinking of putting them where the current (small) speakers are, on both sides of the tv. As the room is only a little over 9 feet wide at the point where they'll be, I think I'd never get my wife to agree with big floor standers.
Sounds like the perfect application for a small Genelec 3-way with coax driver.

OP
Wenslauw

Wenslauw

Usually newcomers lurk around for some time before they join so they know what to expect;). I must have missed though that this is not the case here. As non native english speaker I'm not aware that "Uh huh" is offensive, so sorry if it came over as such.

Don't worry, I wasn't in any way offended. I'm just curious what you meant.

I'm just very curious and quite obsessed with finding what would be best for me. I haven't heard much yet, so I'm still quite a blank slate. Which is also a bit uncomfortable as there is so much equipment to listen to and so much to learn.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Don't worry, I wasn't in any way offended. I'm just curious what you meant.

I'm just very curious and quite obsessed with finding what would be best for me. I haven't heard much yet, so I'm still quite a blank slate. Which is also a bit uncomfortable as there is so much equipment to listen to and so much to learn.
Have you seen anything in a hot running pure class A with near linear power supply? Or have you been looking at class D

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That was me. I switched to active speakers 15 years ago, and in the mean time all our systems use active speakers (Klein&Hummel - now Neumann, Genelec, JBL). The relation of SQ to price is unbeatable, as is the relation of low bass to size. Dynamics is very good even for very small ones like Genelec 8020.

From a technical point of view therefore it makes no sense to use passive speakers, a fact that has been accepted by the pros for many years now. In most recording and mastering studios you will find only active speakers.

OP
Wenslauw

Wenslauw

Have you seen anything in a hot running pure class A with near linear power supply? Or have you been looking at class D

I think I've mostly been hearing class AB. The Primare was class D. The Naim had a class A pre amp, but I don't know what the rest of the amp is. It's not always easy to find those details about an amp.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I think I've mostly been hearing class AB. The Primare was class D. The Naim had a class A pre amp, but I don't know what the rest of the amp is. It's not always easy to find those details about an amp.
Something with good linearity as the speakers impedance changes is best. If they have good linearity specs they will tell you. Sometimes a stealthy 50 or 75 watts of pure class A can be good. Higher being better of course but there is a budget.

OP
Wenslauw

Wenslauw

So are they trying to take back the Gouda name like the Feta, Champagne and Prosecco? I like Gouda cheese. :)

Welcome.

Thank you. I think it's a protected name as of 2010. I read somewhere it would take a lot of money to make sure it's not produced outside the Netherlands. I don't know the details. I never eat the stuff myself. ;)

OP
Wenslauw

Wenslauw

Something with good linearity as the speakers impedance changes is best. If they have good linearity specs they will tell you. Sometimes a stealthy 50 or 75 watts of pure class A can be good. Higher being better of course but there is a budget.

Don't class A amplifiers run really hot? I also haven't come across any. Seems like most (popular) brands stick to AB these days.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Don't class A amplifiers run really hot? I also haven't come across any. Seems like most (popular) brands stick to AB these days.
Yeah sometimes. It's more of a warmth than a hot :) I don't recommend it for tropical rooms w/o AC but yeah it can be good. It sounds great and if somewhat linear as suggested it should be fantastic. It's a choice, lower wattage class A or higher wattage class AB.

OP
Wenslauw

Wenslauw

Yeah sometimes. It's more of a warmth than a hot :) I don't recommend it for tropical rooms w/o AC but yeah it can be good. It sounds great and if somewhat linear as suggested it should be fantastic.

Do you have examples of such amps?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Do you have examples of such amps?
Nothing new and current but I think for your price range you should be able to p/u something new or even used. You open up a entirely different selection of gear to select from. There are people that care for their equipment and are enthusiasts.

Wombat

Master Contributor

Uh-huh is ambiguous: https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Uh-huh and distinct from Huh: https://www.theatlantic.com/health/...eans-the-same-thing-in-every-language/281359/

Uh huh probably means do tell(us more for confirmation) re claims when used on ASR. It could mean "not that old chestnut again" or …………. .

Top Bottom