• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New Magico M7 speakers

OP
Pearljam5000

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
And also...;)
Screenshot_20240303_044702_Chrome.jpg

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
That's why I find audio shows so fun. You actually get to hear some of these type of speakers. Even if not in the best conditions, but still I find it an attraction.
As do I. Folks always want to dump on the show demos but in the main I've found them mostly quite good.
It's hard for the manufacturers to do a lot with the hotel room acoustics but IME they do the best they can.
Who would want to demo their product under less than the best conditions they could offer?
I've been disappointed the last 2 years that my health issues haven't allowed me to cover the Tampa show for ASR. :(

Mikig

my Piega ones are much cheaper!!;)

they can also be found in second hand shops at "humane" prices. They are the Twen, they are about twenty years old...

MKR

Major Contributor
As do I. Folks always want to dump on the show demos but in the main I've found them mostly quite good.
It's hard for the manufacturers to do a lot with the hotel room acoustics but IME they do the best they can.
Who would want to demo their product under less than the best conditions they could offer?
I've been disappointed the last 2 years that my health issues haven't allowed me to cover the Tampa show for ASR. :(
Hey Sal … sorry to hear about the health issues and attending the Florida show. I attended this year and was a very good show, job well done by the organizers. They are supposed to move to a larger/better venue next year. Hope your health improves such that you can attend next year!

For what it’s worth, link to my very brief show report, you can live a bit vicariously through me in a very minor way, and for subjective/entertainment purposes only ;)https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...eakers-the-quest-continues.52219/post-1896274

OP
Pearljam5000

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Hey Sal … sorry to hear about the health issues and attending the Florida show. I attended this year and was a very good show, job well done by the organizers. They are supposed to move to a larger/better venue next year. Hope your health improves such that you can attend next year!

For what it’s worth, link to my very brief show report, you can live a bit vicariously through me in a very minor way, and for subjective/entertainment purposes only ;)https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...eakers-the-quest-continues.52219/post-1896274
We need to a video report next time ;)

Reactions: MKR

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
For what it’s worth, link to my very brief show report, you can live a bit vicariously through me in a very minor way, and for subjective/entertainment purposes only
Thanks for the report! A couple of the shows organizers are friends of mine.
I've very proud of what they've accomplished there over the last few years.
The Tampa show has become a major audio event for the southeast.

Greenman

What strikes me about this video is how far out from the back wall they have the M7s! I don’t know if this is Magico’s HQ or some hotel/conference room, but surely they can’t have designed the speakers to be 10ft into the room? Even at this level assuming they are going to be in a decent sized room I can’t see most people wanting them 10ft from the back wall?!

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
What strikes me about this video is how far out from the back wall they have the M7s! I don’t know if this is Magico’s HQ or some hotel/conference room, but surely they can’t have designed the speakers to be 10ft into the room? Even at this level assuming they are going to be in a decent sized room I can’t see most people wanting them 10ft from the back wall?!
It does appear to be a large deep room and could support the position.
I'm sure many listeners will walk away praising the huge deep and wide soundstage.
Any bass loss may be adjusted for in a few ways.

juliangst

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I like looking at impressively designed speakers like the Magicos but I can't think of any reason why anyone should buy these.

What do speakers like those M7 offer over other high performance loudspeakers like the Revel Salon 2 or KEF Blades? It cannot be SPL because this tiny tweeter will give up at some point and it doesn't have unique features like the cardiod dispersion/constant directivity of speakers like the Kii or Beolab 50/ 90.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Maybe that’s the answer (some bass boost employed) as otherwise being able to get a balanced sound a more normal 3-5 ft from the wall might be tricky.
One thing I noticed early on was the two speaker cables, an indication of possible bi-amp situation.
If those D'Agostino amps are Stereo instead of mono like I originally guessed, then turning up the bottom
end would be easy peasy.
Just a long shot guess. ;)

Sokel

Master Contributor
I like looking at impressively designed speakers like the Magicos but I can't think of any reason why anyone should buy these.

What do speakers like those M7 offer over other high performance loudspeakers like the Revel Salon 2 or KEF Blades? It cannot be SPL because this tiny tweeter will give up at some point and it doesn't have unique features like the cardiod dispersion/constant directivity of speakers like the Kii or Beolab 50/ 90.
Tweeter size doesn't have much to do with it,for example have a look at one of the Genelec big boys (1234A) :

1234A.PNG

25mm tweeter for a speaker that passes the 120db mark (125db actually).

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Sure but it's horn loaded.
Opps, I meant "wave guide loaded" ;)
Sorry for the non-PC slip.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
But this is only possible with the waveguide, the problem is that otherwise even if your tweeter could reach the needed excursion the pressure change is so high that you reach into coupling and air non-linearities, which is the reason for example that Geithain who doesn't like using waveguides uses tweeter arrays for their larger main monitors.

Sokel

Master Contributor
Sure but it's horn loaded.
Opps, I meant "wave guide loaded" ;)
Sorry for the non-PC slip.
Here's one with about the same size tweeter (1.5") hitting the 130db (!) mark:

Quested.PNG

(these are 12" woofers to get the size)

This one though is not hor....oops! waveguided.

(when horns go above the meter with a nice Berillium compression driver things get interesting! )

Edit: tweeter size.

Last edited:

Sokel

Master Contributor
But this is only possible with the waveguide, the problem is that otherwise even if your tweeter could reach the needed excursion the pressure change is so high that you reach into coupling and air non-linearities, which is the reason for example that Geithain who doesn't like using waveguides uses tweeter arrays for their larger main monitors.
Look above!

Top Bottom