• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New Magico M7 speakers

HeadDoc12

Forum Donor
That's informative about beryllium, but what about potatoes?

Potato fibre for the woofer maybe, but a tweeter will be tricky. Definitely calls for some engineering. Maybe immersion in a hot oil bath followed by sodium chloride deposition does the trick?
If Magico makes a speaker with a french fry tweeter, I WILL buy it, no questions asked and cost no object. Come on, Magico! Make the F12! Do you want my million dollars or not?

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Or a Baltic Birch cabinet and a front baffle made out of machined MDF that has been textured and painted to look like aluminum. No way to hear the difference.
Easier said than done. Firstly it would have to be measured to determine if the materials dampening factors is superior to X, Y, or Z. Then if there are measurable differences, some tightly bias controlled DBT should be run to determine whats a-foot.
Good stuff possible here?
Genelec uses aluminum for its cases and is at the high end of the competitive price range. They get a lot of love around here.
Genelec cheaps out using castings.
Be gentle throwing those darts. LOL
Material doesn’t matter. Engineering matters. Poor implementation of beryllium can be worse than a well made metal diaphragm
Your only 50% correct. Great engineering matters but you can only get so far using paper mache.
Great material is equally important.

I'm neither supporting nor bashing Magico. I have no idea how good they are or aren't, and I only heard them once or twice under poor conditions. We still need to see the measurements.
Wilson uses some exotic materials and makes many claims, but the avaiable measurements don't support the results. :(

Axo1989

Major Contributor
If Magico makes a speaker with a french fry tweeter, I WILL buy it, no questions asked and cost no object. Come on, Magico! Make the F12! Do you want my million dollars or not?

Mmmm french fries for crispy highs ... but maybe from Focal. They already do flax.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Put one in yourself. ;)

OP
Pearljam5000

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
If I win the lottery I'm getting either M7 or Genelec 8381

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

Short38

What is the scrawl on the strip above the red speaker binding post? Who makes the drivers for this outfit?

MAB

Major Contributor
What is the scrawl on the strip above the red speaker binding post? Who makes the drivers for this outfit?
Their $32k subwoofer appears to be an Adire woofer.
index.php

The say they develop their own drivers.
Not sure if this means the re-cone an XBL2 motor they got from Parts Express, or if they roll their own from scratch. Given how much pointless engineering goes into their cabinets, and the fact you can make tremendous speakers from inexpensive drivers, I wonder too.

Short38

MAB hits it. If I add the cost of the very nice drivers (check Madisound) that go into the Wilson gigantus models I come up with no more than 10k per side. The crossover parts are probably twice the cost of the drivers. The rest is silly cabinetry - go active for gods sake! As for the magicos who knows who builds the motor assembly? Morel? Focal? Scanspeak? Haven’t heard these speakers so should probably not post.

Reactions: MAB
OP
Pearljam5000

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Rumor is the price is $375K
Who's getting a pair ? :cool:

Top Bottom