• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New Kiwi Ears/Crinacle iem

Somafunk

Major Contributor
New release by Kiwi Ears in collaboration with Crinacle, single custom dynamic driver with tuned Helmholtz resonator, only $79 so obviously I ordered a pair

markanini

Major Contributor
Fascinating concept. Which other manufacturers will adopt the tech? Will this particular IEM sound better than Truthear Red to most people?

mc.god

Hey @crinacle, I'm from Italy and the right pronounce of the name is with accent on the "i", you can listen it here:

https://www.wordreference.com/iten/singolo

Very interesting solution, I'm not a big fan of this type of "detached" bass but it can have nice perspectives.

OP
Somafunk

Somafunk

Major Contributor
My pair should be here by the end of the week (they were posted on sat) and I’ll do a quick compare with the 7hz zero 2 if you want to hang on.

Phenoez8

I respect Crinacle for his contributions to the community and I like his collab IEMs, but calling using Helmholtz resonator an innovation is a little cringe. People have been using these since ancient times...

The measurement he showed does look nice though.

OP
Somafunk

Somafunk

Major Contributor
This is my initial impression - not a review

Received them today, nice to see an iem without the cringe waifu shite, packaging is very minimal which I appreciate but no carry case which I'm not too fussed about. Ear tip selection should go straight in the bin as they are completely and utterly useless due to the depth of the main body/shell and short nozzles which means you will need a long ear tip to get and maintain a good seal.

I'm currently using medium Moondrop Spring Tips which I believe originally came with the Moondrop Chu I bought last year, the sticky silicone holds them in place but insertion depth is not enough as evidenced by pushing slightly on the shell when the iems are inserted in my ear as the bass increases quite dramatically so I'll need to investigate and purchase a deeper style tip, very solid kick to the bass and deep deep rumble when listening to my test track below, obviously I used tidal but provided the YouTube link, no bleed that I could ascertain into the mids, this track also has very high percussion that runs along side the sub bass so good for testing the highs which are nice and crisp yet not piercing.

I'm quite impressed with the cable, nothing fancy but does the job - does hold memory but it's fresh out the box so I'll hang it near the fire for 5 mins to straighten out, very nice small angled 3.5mm jack which I do appreciate, why do iem companies fit massive jacks to iems?.........the manufacturers should take note and drop the oversized 3-way interchangeable jacks, they're not needed.

The body of the iem is quite a small stocky little thing and has a nozzle width of 6.4mm and protrudes from the shell by 4mm at the front of the iem and 5mm at the rear, rather short - you WILL need long iem tips to ensure a good seal and to avoid the iem falling out - Kiwi Ears take note - provide decent ear tips please, The shell is nicely made with the internals clearly visible including the "Helmholtz resonator" which appears to be connected to the 11mm dynamic driver housing at the bottom and the top but my spms is playing silly buggers with my eyesight today so don't take that as gospel, the iem faceplate is a nice azure blue with the kiwi ears logo.

I will have to hold off on a full impression till I source a longer, more secure ear tip but I'll be keeping them.

53595996340_c89e4c3273_h.jpg

53595996315_1e51753056_h.jpg

53595565191_24e52d7fa9_h.jpg

Last edited:
OP
Somafunk

Somafunk

Major Contributor
I found a good price On Dunu S&S silicone ear tips here @ Hifigo on aliexpress - £6 or $6ish I expect, I wasn’t sure on sizing so ordered a set of 3 large and 3 extra large, another 8 days to wait……..ho hum, this is where I find out I should’ve ordered the medium :facepalm:.

I may have a dig around in my box o’ bits n’ pieces as I’m sure I should have other tips such as foam and double flange tips.

Human Bass

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Aful already did with Magic One and will apply in their future flagship Cantor.
Fascinating concept. Which other manufacturers will adopt the tech? Will this particular IEM sound better than Truthear Red to most people?

Human Bass

I'm familiar with Magic One but have no interest in only-BA sets, I'd like to see less niche implementations in the future.
Cantor will probably DD+BAs or multiple BAs. The Magic One was more of a tech demo to showcase "if we can do this with a single BA, imagine with multiples"

Phenoez8

I'm familiar with Magic One but have no interest in only-BA sets, I'd like to see less niche implementations in the future.
BA IEM's are already struggling with THD problems. I can't imagine why they would put out an IEM with only 1 BA driver and advertise it that way. Really curious about the distortion measurement on this one.

Human Bass

BA IEM's are already struggling with THD problems. I can't imagine why they would put out an IEM with only 1 BA driver and advertise it that way. Really curious about the distortion measurement on this one.
It is quite impressive for a single BA, a flex for future projects.

Human Bass

I can't find any measurements on distortion. Have you found any?
Nope, but seems mostly fine. Of course there are limitations to a single BA, but it did way better than expected.

Last edited:

carlcamper

Looks good, apparently:

My unit came in last week, will post impressions soon, but sounds very good so far using Divinus Velvet tips!

Top Bottom