• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

new KEF KC62 dual 6.5" subwoofer

AdamG

Enjoy the Music your way…
Forum Donor
FYI there is no such thing as faster or slower subs. They play at exactly the same speed, also known as Frequency or cycles. Some go lower and some go higher in Frequency at a given SPL.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
what

yes - actual measurements are missing - something i am desparately waiting for. Note that i like the svs features and looks better than Kef’s, but in the end the deciding factor is how they will match my LS50w2’s... ie sound quality in combination with the la50s

Any sub can match up with your speakers....it's mostly a matter of integration on your part.

prmfeddema

Any sub can match up with your speakers....it's mostly a matter of integration on your part.

I guess with sufficient tuning it could - but i keep wondering what the impact of new technology is in these cases? I don’t like Kefs (deceptive?) marketing of the kc62, but kef engineers are not idiots ( and neither are SVS’s engineers) but there are also other aspects relevant to me (and which vary from person to person) which may actually lead to select a sub with a less than perfect sound but with other features (size, color, no dangling cables) - basically it is the eternal struggle between the tech in me and aestetics...

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I guess with sufficient tuning it could - but i keep wondering what the impact of new technology is in these cases? I don’t like Kefs (deceptive?) marketing of the kc62, but kef engineers are not idiots ( and neither are SVS’s engineers) but also other aspects that are relevant to me (and which vary from person to person).

Tuning? Is that what you call integration? Engineers may not be idiots but probably aren't allowed to say much, that's usually the marketing department's turf. :)

prmfeddema

Tuning? Is that what you call integration? Engineers may not be idiots but probably aren't allowed to say much, that's usually the marketing department's turf. :)
Ha - tuning/integration... a number of any (technical as well as non-technical) activities to arrive at an optimal result :)

guess we are on the same page :)

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Ha - tuning/integration... a number of any (technical as well as non-technical) activities to arrive at an optimal result :)

guess we are on the same page :)

Tuning a sub to me is when you're figuring out the tuning point for a ported sub :)

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

And pretty decent measured in room response:
Here's some measurements with KC62's near rear corners, using UMIK-1 mic.
GREY=PMC 25.23 speakers ; BLACK=one sub; BLUE = both subs; RED = too loud for me!
twin_kc62_measurements-png.1475387

Martin

AdamG

Enjoy the Music your way…
Forum Donor

Martin

Unless I missed it, without knowing the size of the room, the measurements are of a questionable value. I bet an IPhone can measure well in a mailbox.:rolleyes:

YSC

Major Contributor
Unless I missed it, without knowing the size of the room, the measurements are of a questionable value. I bet an IPhone can measure well in a mailbox.:rolleyes:
well, I assume if you want to use such an expensive yet tiny sub, you will not be in a large or medium sized room;)

Just as I expect smart for 2 buyers won't be weighting 200kg (there are always exceptions of course)

oursmagenta

Forum Donor

Martin

Well, not bad !

Here is my super-imperfect (have to tweek the Dirac calibration) in-room response with a target resembling to an harmanish one.
My sub, a SB-3000 is much, much larger ! The room is roughly 2161.3 cubic feet (22.31x9.84x9.84) or 61.2 m3 (6.8x3x3), the crossover is at 120hz (I have some Triangle Cometes bookshelves).
sb3000_dirac.PNG

N.B: I edited the post and quickly re-did measurements.

Last edited:

YSC

Major Contributor
Well, not bad !

Here is my super-imperfect (have to tweek the Dirac calibration) in-room response with a target resembling to an harmanish one.
My sub, a SB-3000 is much, much larger ! The room is roughly 2161.3 cubic feet (22.31x9.84x9.84) or 61.2 m3 (6.8x3x3), the crossover is at 120hz (I have some Triangle Cometes bookshelves).
View attachment 119863
looked nice, you are using a single sub? and if so at 120hz did you encounter some localization problem for that?? (assume you are not using a single sub from behind, which personally I did perceive that bass is from the back..)

oursmagenta

Forum Donor
looked nice, you are using a single sub? and if so at 120hz did you encounter some localization problem for that?? (assume you are not using a single sub from behind, which personally I did perceive that bass is from the back..)
Yes, a single sub that seat to the right of my left speaker. For localization, hmm no it doesn't seem an issue for me.

Last edited:

onion

Does anyone know of good research on the localizability of bass notes and why the 80Hz crossover was chosen by THX?

I remember (years ago) reading that it was selected because it was an octave lower than the lowest test tone any subject was able to localize, at 160Hz. I also remember reading that no one else was really able to localize below 200Hz.

This is all coming from memory, though, and I have no idea where I read it or how to search for it again. I would think multiple subs would be even harder to localize. These subs are tiny enough to easily hide around the room. I'm imagining a scenario with 4 of these hidden around the room and crossed at 180-200Hz(with steep filters). It seems like that could potentially fix the Meta's only real weakness(imo), turning them into an end game speaker that's still rather aesthetic. Personally, I'd still go for larger subs, but my mom despises the look of visible giant subwoofers. She loves the sound of my RS2s, but hates the appearance. Something like this may the Goldilocks solution.

I don't know of any research but I've played around with crossovers in a 4-sub setup. I can't localise at 250Hz. So I'm playing around with the crossover range from 250 to 80Hz to see which one gives the best integration of mains to subs.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't know of any research but I've played around with crossovers in a 4-sub setup. I can't localise at 250Hz. So I'm playing around with the crossover range from 250 to 80Hz to see which one gives the best integration of mains to subs.

Keep in mind the upper frequency limit of your sub.....and a crossover still yields content above the crossover, too....

Top Bottom