• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

new KEF KC62 dual 6.5" subwoofer

YSC

Major Contributor
And no doubt it will sound quite impressive in the smaller listening room setups that are likely to be typical of demo rooms.
I feel that the kc62 is all about really small rooms in Asian market, and they have the larger version for any larger rooms when space is available.

As KEF is now owned by Hong Kong GP acoustics it’s reasonable to produce something like this which sells like hot cake here. Apartment size and cost will blow away minds of most ppl in the west. My “flat” size is similar to the bedroom of my brother in law in Germany, and cost three Times as much, so u could imagine in the local market most listening room size will be about the bathroom size of a typical European or American house. Which means almost impossible to put a 12” driver sub.

prmfeddema

Yes - you are both exactly right: while i have the budget to buy much larger/better subs i also have other priorities: 1) it cannot be black/grey: I've had black/grey boxes since the 70's and it needs to change. 2) Size does matter, but i also want it to blend in nicely. While i never like the Bose small boxes, i also don't like these huge boxes. 3) it's used for music in 95% of the cases.

As a result the KC62 fit's the bill nicely - but there i also 1 aspect that is really disappointing: no wireless controls and the wireless module is way to expensive. I don't doubt that these will be offered at a discount, but at this price level i expected this to be included.

Surprisingly enough there are not much alternatives: i will listen to the SVS SB-1000 pro but i doubt whether it will be able to match the KEF sound quality level. SVS will of course will surpass the KEF in the volume area but i do expect the KEF to be loud enough for me. In addition - when looking at the wireless module KEF really seems to understand how to do things: their module has 24bit resolution and operates in the 5GHZ space. All other manufactures are still on 16bit 2.4GHZ

Guess there is no one size fits all, so we need keep looking at this from different perspectives.

prmfeddema

I feel that the kc62 is all about really small rooms in Asian market, and they have the larger version for any larger rooms when space is available.

As KEF is now owned by Hong Kong GP acoustics it’s reasonable to produce something like this which sells like hot cake here. Apartment size and cost will blow away minds of most ppl in the west. My “flat” size is similar to the bedroom of my brother in law in Germany, and cost three Times as much, so u could imagine in the local market most listening room size will be about the bathroom size of a typical European or American house. Which means almost impossible to put a 12” driver sub.

Yes - and in europe the prices are also going skyhigh - and in addition the wife acceptance factor plays a significant role here...

But what also surprised me is that the KC62 seemed to work well with the magnepan's as it seems to be really fast. What the KC62 may be lacking in volume it may compensate this by it's speed. There is a video on youtube where the KC62 is being reviewed and where this is stated.

YSC

Major Contributor
Yes - and in europe the prices are also going skyhigh - and in addition the wife acceptance factor plays a significant role here...

But what also surprised me is that the KC62 seemed to work well with the magnepan's as it seems to be really fast. What the KC62 may be lacking in volume it may compensate this by it's speed. There is a video on youtube where the KC62 is being reviewed and where this is stated.
I will be surprised if they can even be used with the megnepans! In my mind I only thought of say my own use case where I can only put it under the desk and not taking up all my legroom! Or like really near field with <2m listening distance where this would have enough authority. Personally I still chose the genelec 7040 for less than half the price and it integrates with my 8030 a lot easier yet taking up similar space in exchange for the lack of 20-33hz range. But all in all if look and size matters this is really an interesting offer

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes - you are both exactly right: while i have the budget to buy much larger/better subs i also have other priorities: 1) it cannot be black/grey: I've had black/grey boxes since the 70's and it needs to change. 2) Size does matter, but i also want it to blend in nicely. While i never like the Bose small boxes, i also don't like these huge boxes. 3) it's used for music in 95% of the cases.

As a result the KC62 fit's the bill nicely - but there i also 1 aspect that is really disappointing: no wireless controls and the wireless module is way to expensive. I don't doubt that these will be offered at a discount, but at this price level i expected this to be included.

Surprisingly enough there are not much alternatives: i will listen to the SVS SB-1000 pro but i doubt whether it will be able to match the KEF sound quality level.

Given that directivity isn't a thing for subs, the SVS SB-1000 will easily exceed the KEF KC62 in every aspect of sound quality, due to flatter response and significantly less distortion, so I wouldn't worry about that. If sound quality is your main concern, the SVS is far better than the KEF. The disadvantage of the SVS is aesthetics. It's both bigger and doesn't match the LS50 curved cabinet as well.

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
They just emailed me about this. Sweet! A (hopefully) great alternative to the KC62. Wonder if I can get it fast enough to compare the two directly...

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator

YSC

Major Contributor
Yes, there's no high pass filter.
The line level are low passed only and controllable via either the back of the subwoofer or via the mobile app.
So I can go dac-> svs-> line out to preamp and main monitors and control the FR of the sub and the line level output volume (and FR?) via the app? If so it sounds like dsp high pass could be done?

carewser

The driver looks exactly the same as the 5" aluminum woofer in my Kanto Tuk's

Top Bottom