• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

new KEF KC62 dual 6.5" subwoofer

Wombat

Master Contributor
I don't think this will perform at its intended specs; at best, it will be similar to my velodyne microvee sub intended for small rooms with bass-anemic speakers:

Velodyne Microvee Specifications:
● Drivers: One Active 6.5" (with 64 oz
Magnet), Two 6.5" Passive Radiators
● Amplifier: 1,000 Watts RMS
● MFR: 38 Hz - 120 Hz ± 3 dB
● Low Pass: 50 Hz - 200 Hz Adjustable
● Phase: 00 - 1800 Switchable
● Dimensions: 9" H x 9" W x 9.6" D
Weight: 15 Pounds
● MSRP: $799 USA; White or Black

However, curious as to why this new KEF doubles the weight at 30lbs.

Big magnets and sturdy enclosures are weighty. 15lbs is not so heavy with inbuilt amp.

Last edited:

witwald

Forum Donor
There seems to be some confusion in the thread. Ideally the frequency response of the sub should be even with the main speakers (allowing for a house curve if wanted). But the SPL headroom of the sub needs to be greater (i.e maximum output of 80dB at 20 Hz is insufficient) as the CONTENT often has sub bass signals that are higher in SPL than the midrange due to the ears lessor sensitivity)
I'm not sure that the inclusion of sub-bass signals that are higher in SPL than the midrange is due to the lesser sensitivity of our ears at those sub-bass frequencies. Keeping in mind that sub-bass (infrasonic?) signals are felt maybe more than they are heard, isn't the sub-bass content included simply because the artist/creator put it there, for whatever effect that they wanted to achieve? That also, of course, applies to more usual bass content, for which some people use larger main speakers to be able to reproduce more faithfully, rather than smaller speakers that heavily distort that content by attenuating (not reproducing) it.

YSC

Major Contributor
Does it go down to 20Hz at a level that humans can hear when listening at moderate volume? No.
It’s still a have it or not choice, most “subs” at this size only goes to 40/50 hz.

even if say it only get moderate level of 30hz and up it’s still more versatile than the 7040a in cross over option and can have more freedom of placement and optimisation

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It’s still a have it or not choice, most “subs” at this size only goes to 40/50 hz.

even if say it only get moderate level of 30hz and up it’s still more versatile than the 7040a in cross over option and can have more freedom of placement and optimisation
If you need a tiny sub a jl E110 would be better for the money. If a little more space is available a rythmik or SVS would be way better for the money. this is coming from someone who owns and likes kef speakers.

Senior NEET Engineer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I don't get the point of subwoofers that small, unless it's underneath a desk.

Most people setup their system in living room. A sub that is not any bigger than needed is a plus. Even a Sonos Sub can do 100 dB at 30hz. I think this will be great to pair with LS50 for music.

oursmagenta

Forum Donor
Most people setup their system in living room. A sub that is not any bigger than needed is a plus. Even a Sonos Sub can do 100 dB at 30hz. I think this will be great to pair with LS50 for music.

Actually it may also depends on the subwoofer design. Can this little "two woofers in tandem" be placed in a corner?
I guess you need a clearance space in front of each two speakers.

YSC

Major Contributor
If you need a tiny sub a jl E110 would be better for the money. If a little more space is available a rythmik or SVS would be way better for the money. this is coming from someone who owns and likes kef speakers.
As I said before the hk is too bulky and not tiny for my need.. I know that once going to the 300mm square sub category I can get a lot more budget friendly options with better spl, but under the desk is really.. size matters

F1308

Major Contributor
Adding to the great 11-200 Hz range , another achievement is the claimed low distortion (-75%) thanks to the new control system.

killdozzer

Major Contributor
So, how does it compare to a traditional sub? I have no experience in subs measurements.
I'm not allowed to say! Ha! ;)

This is the mildest version I have:
From all I read and saw, no other sub of these dimensions can compete.
OTOH It still doesn't do what it promised, so I fail to see why it keeps promising it.

Linked document reads like brochure pink prose. It goes on about Goethe and the myth of Iron Law. Actual numbers are scarce.

FeddyLost

Addicted to Fun and Learning
So, how does it compare to a traditional sub?
Must be much better than any other similar sized classic sub.
Well suited for augmenting small nearfield speakers.
Almost useless in decent home cinema unless you sit on it.

prmfeddema

Must be much better than any other similar sized classic sub.
Well suited for augmenting small nearfield speakers.
Almost useless in decent home cinema unless you sit on it.

Yes - i think what is key - and also emphasized in a german review - that this sub makes sense in certain (small) environments only - and it seems it does that very - very well. If you have a bigger room you might go bigger.

In addition to that and reading what you are saying: this sub seems be aimed at augmenting small nearfield speakers such as the LS50 wireless II, not for home theatre.

I'm currently considering SVS-SB-1000 pro, KC62 or potentially KF92 - the latter only available in black (and i do not want black boxes anymore).

While the SVS SB-1000 pro seems to fit the bill (size, wireless controls, price & color) i am also worried that this model is a bit too middle of the road and not a good match to the LS50's

zorak950

I'm currently considering SVS-SB-1000 pro, KC62 or potentially KF92 - the latter only available in black (and i do not want black boxes anymore).

While the SVS SB-1000 pro seems to fit the bill (size, wireless controls, price & color) i am also worried that this model is a bit too middle of the road and not a good match to the LS50's
If you're willing to pay KC62 money, I'd consider the Rythmik G22. It's the same dual opposed design but superior in almost every way from a sound perspective, though unfortunately it's only available in black. The Rythmik F12 is the single-driver version and it comes in white; could be a nice middle ground option for you. Nothing is going to be as small or cute as the KC62, though: Kef absolutely nailed those aesthetics.

YSC

Major Contributor
If you're willing to pay KC62 money, I'd consider the Rythmik G22. It's the same dual opposed design but superior in almost every way from a sound perspective, though unfortunately it's only available in black. The Rythmik F12 is the single-driver version and it comes in white; could be a nice middle ground option for you. Nothing is going to be as small or cute as the KC62, though: Kef absolutely nailed those aesthetics.
The kef is obviously for really small space while if space is not a problem I believe most subs outside will be of much better value

zorak950

The kef is obviously for really small space while if space is not a problem I believe most subs outside will be of much better value
Depends how you define "value." The KC62 performs very well when it's used in an appropriate context and it's hot as heck. Kef's going to make a lot of money on them, and in my opinion they've earned every penny. ASR is about the numbers, and that's awesome, but we shouldn't get judgey of those who have other priorities. The truth is even if you explained CEA-2010 and put the graphs and figures in front of them, most people would care about that less than how a subwoofer looks and feels in the room. As long as the KC62 outputs "enough" for their tastes, a lot of people will choose it over technically superior and lower-cost alternatives, and I don't blame them one bit.

YSC

Major Contributor
Depends how you define "value." The KC62 performs very well when it's used in an appropriate context and it's hot as heck. Kef's going to make a lot of money on them, and in my opinion they've earned every penny. ASR is about the numbers, and that's awesome, but we shouldn't get judgey of those who have other priorities. The truth is even if you explained CEA-2010 and put the graphs and figures in front of them, most people would care about that less than how a subwoofer looks and feels in the room. As long as the KC62 outputs "enough" for their tastes, a lot of people will choose it over technically superior and lower-cost alternatives, and I don't blame them one bit.
That’s always how it works, looks with good sound will always cost more than pure sound, and though I won’t spend that much on a sub KEF did kept in mind for really tight spaced rooms and extending below 20hz and have a high pass filter to use with other brand speakers. And being that small will free up a lot of space and when that happens might get u extra freedom on placement and hence optimisation of sub

witwald

Forum Donor
...KEF did kept in mind for really tight spaced rooms and extending below 20 Hz and have a high pass filter to use with other brand speakers. And being that small will free up a lot of space and when that happens might get u extra freedom on placement and hence optimisation of sub
That small size of subwoofer comes with a significant penalty: limited maximum output level at and near 20 Hz. However, it does have good brochure appeal, but it's unlikely to get anywhere near the capabilities of larger, less expensive subwoofers that use larger drivers. Having all of that extra low-frequency extension at lower listening levels is likely to be quite a big plus, if that's all the KC62 is going to be used for. And no doubt it will sound quite impressive in the smaller listening room setups that are likely to be typical of demo rooms.

Top Bottom