• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New Hypex Nilai500DIY modules )

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is the 700as2 ICEEdge based? I cannot find information to that regard.

It is not ICEedge. Product page for the ICEedge amplifiers (1200AS1/2, 2000AS1/2, 300A2, 400A2) all specifically mention ICEedge. You can also see it in the data sheet from the higher output impedance and load dependent frequency response.

Michael

mocenigo

Major Contributor
It is not ICEedge. Product page for the ICEedge amplifiers (1200AS1/2, 2000AS1/2, 300A2, 400A2) all specifically mention ICEedge. You can also see it in the data sheet from the higher output impedance and load dependent frequency response.

That was my suspicion. So it is not the latest from Icepower.

Sokel

Master Contributor
what do you mean exactly ?

- the "700AS2" is out of the latest AS Series from Icepower
No edge version,have a look at the Ice Power site,1200as2 or 2000as2 would be the obvious choise of any fair comparison by people who know what they're doing.
Is the 700as2 ICEEdge based? I cannot find information to that regard.
No,you can see at the top of each amps page if it's Egde or not:

Edge.PNG

Edge

No Edge.PNG

No Edge

(300a2 Edge is supposed to be the best measuring one in terns of distortion,etc)

Last edited:

mocenigo

Major Contributor
The best sound of three, to me: Hypex Nilai 500 without any doubt.

Firefox -> YouTube -> WDM Driver (JRMC) -> JRiver MC (W10 Pro, very optimized by me to play multimedia).

You are back!

Feyire

The best sound of three, to me: Hypex Nilai 500 without any doubt.

Firefox -> YouTube -> WDM Driver (JRMC) -> JRiver MC (W10 Pro, very optimized by me to play multimedia).
Out of curiosity, what are your subjective impressions of the Nilai vs the Purifi, or even the Nilai vs the NC400 (its predecessor)?

Even with the Nilai measuring so well, I'd still be modding it like I did with the NC400 and its LC filter.

maty

Major Contributor
Youtube-Alpha-Audio-clips.png

Nilai vs Purifi (different volum, you need to adjust)

First track

Nilai: More detail, spatious. More neutral. Sweet. Smooth. More musical, credible...
Purifi: Voice predominant, more congestionated (vs Nilai). More bass, too much. Trebble more annoying.

If you do not have the Purifi, the choice is clear to me <- Trebble more annoying.

Second track (piano)

Nilai: I take my hat off! Wowww.
Purifi: Nope, much worse. Congested. I do not like!!!

Third track - agggggh, bad music :facepalm:

Nilai: Much better than Purifi. Same impression as with the first.
Purifi: Voice predominant, more congestionated (vs Nilai). More bass, too much. Without problem with trebble. Too much bassss.

In short: Nilai, among other improvements, has corrected the usual weakness of Class D amplification with high frequencies (real instruments, acoustic or electric).

Last edited:

maty

Major Contributor
Nilai has correct bass, neither more nor less, which they have to be. I guess it is easily solvable (Purifi) with a bit of equalization.

With traditional recordings, that is, with real instruments (acoustic or electric) and voices without Autotune? Nilai stands out, impresses.

The piano, due to its many harmonics, is useful to detect deficiencies. In the test Purifi went wrong, very wrong. :eek:

Piano, guitar and cymbals sound are very useful for verifying the musicality of an amplifier.

Dirk_67

AkodoGilador

Build Guide - Hypex Nilai 500 - Class D DIY kit - Stereo power amplifier
You seem to have 4 screws and 5 washers left at the end. Where did they come from - or, perhaps, where should they have gone?!

Cheers,
Alex

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
BTW this is the video maty was referring to:

pma

Major Contributor
I really do not understand why such videos are created. Horrible sound through mics + youtube, lot of talk without any sense eating a lot of time. Wasting time, nothing else.

maty

Major Contributor
I really do not understand why such videos are created. Horrible sound through mics + youtube, lot of talk without any sense eating a lot of time. Wasting time, nothing else.

If you are not able to appreciate the obvious differences, then you have a problem in your system. Very few have optimized the O.S. for multimedia. BTW, in Windows I have been able, but not in Linux.

pma

Major Contributor
If you are not able to appreciate the obvious differences, then you have a problem in your system.
Of course, what else.

In fact it is difficult to make a choice between terrible and horrible. Do you understand that the microphone capturing sound from speakers adds so many flaws (flawed speakers + multiple room reflections) that such sound can never be accurate? All the talk around is only bla-bla.

Top Bottom