• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New Hypex Nilai500DIY modules )

Piere

A Krell KSA (19)50 ? ;)

No, it's a troll,

This what a Krell looks inside:

Krell_KST100.GIF

Stokdoof

Forum Donor
If he is getting startled when there is no music playing (volume at zero).... he is hearing the high-frequency switching fundamentals, and the harmonics, coming straight from the actual modules.

Do a test.... place him close to the amplifier. While he is relaxed/half asleep, turn on the amplifier and see if he raises his head and ears.

Then, repeat with the amplifier' top cover removed.
1672575280390.png

simont

Has anyone seen (or measured) the input impedance of the new Nilai500DIY modules, especially in the low gain mode? The Purifi Eigentakt reference implementation achieves a low gain mode by bypassing the first stage amplification, resulting in very low input impedance. I wonder if the Nilai500DIY modules are better in this respect.

Edit: I just found two assembly manuals (mono and stereo) that state the input impedance as 100kOhm, without caveats on gain:
p20: https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/pdf/Nilay500DIY Mono-kit Assembly_R1_X-1a.pdf
p21: https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/pdf/Nilay500DIY Stereo-kit Assembly_R1_X-1a.pdf

Last edited:

piotrkundu

Has anyone seen (or measured) the input impedance of the new Nilai500DIY modules, especially in the low gain mode? The Purifi Eigentakt reference implementation achieves a low gain mode by bypassing the first stage amplification, resulting in very low input impedance. I wonder if the Nilai500DIY modules are better in this respect.

Edit: I just found two assembly manuals (mono and stereo) that state the input impedance as 100kOhm, without caveats on gain:
p20: https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/pdf/Nilay500DIY Mono-kit Assembly_R1_X-1a.pdf
p21: https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/pdf/Nilay500DIY Stereo-kit Assembly_R1_X-1a.pdf
The standalone parts are going to be around $250 for the PS and $350 for Nilai500 and they are going to release this month (Jan 2023) https://www.diyclassd.com/nieuws/

AndreaT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Well...I took the plunge. I just ordered the Nilai500DIY 250W stereo kit. Delivery (hopefully) at the end of March 2023. It will give some time to regret my expense. Totally spoiled as I already have a mono NC400 based Hypex x 2. I could not resist curiosity and the (relatively) fair price.

I will upgrade my 25 y/o Krell KAV-300i.

rost21A

I've also been the proud owner of an NC400 dual mono power amp for years. (Volumio streamer Allo BOSS2, Boenicke W5 SE, Qobuz)
I'm very curious what you can then report for comparison.

Last edited:

McFly

If hypex even have an ounce of common sense, they would have sent a sample to amir to review. The free marketing is stupid to miss out on.

If you google hypex ncore, the second result is ASR

If you google hypex nilai , the FIRST result is ASR

or is that just my google? IDK

McFly

Außerdem bin ich seit Jahren stolzer Besitzer einer NC400 Dual-Mono-Endstufe. (Volumio-Streamer Allo BOSS2, Boenicke W5 SE, Qobuz)
Ich bin sehr gespannt, was man dann zum Vergleich berichten kann.
English forum bro

AndreaT

From the AudioXpress link:

"As Hypex makes it clear (see interview) this is not the company's latest NCOREx technology which was announced last month. In fact, Nilai is a completely new amplifier technology. And as such, it is 10 times better than the original Ncore!

"We are extremely excited to announce this completely new Nilai Class D technology and a completely new amplifier module, the Nilai500DIY, for the DIY community. We have taken our exciting control-loop topology to a whole new level resulting in an immense performance upgrade compared to Ncore. The overall performance has increased by not less than 10 times!", says Hypex."

And silly old AudioXpress jumps on the company-driven hype bandwagon! Giddy up, you absolute clowns!

10 times better. Wow. Amazing. Let's see, shall we?

10 times better output power? Nope. Not remotely close.
10 times better signal to noise? Nope.
10 time less residual noise? Sorry.
10 times the frequency response/bandwidth? Not even near that.
10 times the warranty? No. What warranty? Do you even get a warranty?

10 times the hype and drivel? Yes! absolutely!

...the Dutch company says, is a completely new unique amplifier module that sets a new benchmark for high-end audio applications.

Benchmark for what? Self promotion? :facepalm:

I'll let you decide that...
Actually they offer a 5-yr warranty. It is an incremental improvement over the NC-400. Price not much different. I am curious enough to have ordered the stereo one. Delivery at the end of March 2023. Yes, self promotion, but a fair one compared to 20 W/ch AVRs sold as 140 W/ch and a circuit that goes into limp mode without telling you and spoiling the rest of the evening experience.

AndreaT

Looking to upgrade my very modest integrated amp with Class D, which I’ve never owned. This thread has been very informative, sometimes entertaining re: price vs performance/specs. Leaving my house a few days ago, I was behind a Ferrari at a red light. Ferrari broke down, I had to go around in my Subaru Outback. My analogy being pretty sure Ferrari has better specs on paper vs my Subaru but at a certain point Ferrari requires a dedicated race track and a professional driver to experience what that car can do.
As far as Ferrari’s cars: think again! Yes, you need to scrupulously service them, but new sales come with a 7-yr service contract included in the price. One hopes that after 7 years you have learned how to change the oil and replace the filters. You need to appreciate precision driving to enjoy a Ferrari (or a Porsche). It is not necessary to drive fast. It is similar to training your ears to appreciate high quality amps: nothing special but a useful reference ideal like a Symphony Hall and a good seat in the middle. Focus and dedication (no texting while listening to Music). Let the Music flow.

goryu

@Hypexsales

Any idea when the nilai500 amp and ps sales will begin? I know they were suppose to start in January, but it's January....can you give us something a little more concrete? Thanks!

NikolasA

People never fail to amaze me….

If you even half cared you would visit the official site and see that it has been sold out and the new available date is listed go look don’t be lazy.

It has been reported that Amir has been sent amp kit from the manufacturer. I am patiently waiting when the review will be posted.

goryu

People never fail to amaze me….

If you even half cared you would visit the official site and see that it has been sold out and the new available date is listed go look don’t be lazy.

It has been reported that Amir has been sent amp kit from the manufacturer. I am patiently waiting when the review will be posted.

If you could even half read you would have understood that I am talking about the single modules and smps, not the amp kits, which have yet to be sold. Yes, people never cease to amaze.

Reactions: nhs

Piere

If hypex even have an ounce of common sense, they would have sent a sample to amir to review. The free marketing is stupid to miss out on.

That way of marketing has a name: "Calimero marketing":
(Sorry for the Dutch, found no English version)

Calimeromarketing.jpg

But it only works if you actualy can provide eggs... otherwise it will act against you.

The Eigentakt's input impedance when bypassing the buffer stage is 4,4k in balanced mode which is honestly fine for most sources. Topping's Pre90 preamp has like 2k on the XLR input... But 100k for the Nilai is a lot better, if that is indeed true.

Top Bottom