• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New headphones

Ole_S

Hi Guys,

I have just sold my stereo setup and now want to buy a better set of headphones (open back).

Budget for new headboards + amp/dac:
800 - 1050 EUR (new or used)

Music taste:
  • Classical music
  • Soft jazz
  • Music from the 60's - 70's
  • Vocalistic music (both male and female)
  • Instrumental music (guitar, piano etc.)

My suggestions:
  • Meze 109 pro
  • Hifiman Ananda Stealth
  • AUDEZE LCD-2 CLASSIC

Looking forward receiving your recommendations.

Thank you.

paudio

If you are near a headphone store I would go there and listen to as many as you can.

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
DAC/AMP can be solved for €200-€300 so that leaves you with ca €700. If I was looking at spending €700 on a new set of cans I would start with getting a pair of HD600/6XX. 6XX is on sale on drop.com for about $199 - that is hard to beat value. On top of that Ananda is a good option at its current $550 price. It is not worth $990 in my opinion though. At $500 Edition XS is very good too if you prefer that kind of a headband. I'd consider Sundara too. I have a pair of Meze Classic 99 - they are hot garbage. Don't know about Meze 109 Pro but I would not buy them If I can not listen to them. LCD-2 is great but heavy for everyday use in my opinion. You can also throw in a decent IEM for good measure. Zero : Red, Hexa, Moondrop Lan - they are all great if you are OK with IEMs.

OP
O

Ole_S

DAC/AMP can be solved for €200-€300 so that leaves you with ca €700. If I was looking at spending €700 on a new set of cans I would start with getting a pair of HD600/6XX. 6XX is on sale on drop.com for about $199 - that is hard to beat value. On top of that Ananda is a good option at its current $550 price. It is not worth $990 in my opinion though. At $500 Edition XS is very good too if you prefer that kind of a headband. I'd consider Sundara too. I have a pair of Meze Classic 99 - they are hot garbage. Don't know about Meze 109 Pro but I would not buy them If I can not listen to them. LCD-2 is great but heavy for everyday use in my opinion. You can also throw in a decent IEM for good measure. Zero : Red, Hexa, Moondrop Lan - they are all great if you are OK with IEMs.
IEM is not for me :)

Jasonovich

Hi Guys,

I have just sold my stereo setup and now want to buy a better set of headphones (open back).

Budget for new headboards + amp/dac:
800 - 1050 EUR (new or used)

Music taste:
  • Classical music
  • Soft jazz
  • Music from the 60's - 70's
  • Vocalistic music (both male and female)
  • Instrumental music (guitar, piano etc.)

My suggestions:
  • Meze 109 pro
  • Hifiman Ananda Stealth
  • AUDEZE LCD-2 CLASSIC

Looking forward receiving your recommendations.

Thank you.
I can wholeheartedly recommend the Hifiman Edition XS, similar to it's sibling Ananda but much cheaper. I use customised Mogami balanced XLR cables. It's umbilical cord is tied to Singxer SA-1 Class A head amp and the DAC that feeds it is Eversolo DAC-Z8 and the music file management is courtesy of Digital Transport/Android streamer JF MX-Pro.

This combination for me is the dream team, best of luck finding what works for you :)

Attachments

• IMG_20230713_123610.jpg
    IMG_20230713_123610.jpg
    194.5 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_20230713_123618_1.jpg
    IMG_20230713_123618_1.jpg
    174.5 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_20230713_123633.jpg
    IMG_20230713_123633.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_20230713_123652.jpg
    IMG_20230713_123652.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 72
OP
O

Ole_S

I can wholeheartedly recommend the Hifiman Edition XS, similar to it's sibling Ananda but much cheaper. I use customised Mogami balanced XLR cables. It's umbilical cord is tied to Singxer SA-1 Class A head amp and the DAC that feeds it is Eversolo DAC-Z8 and the music file management is courtesy of Digital Transport/Android streamer JF MX-Pro.

This combination for me is the dream team, best of luck finding what works for you :)
I have heard lots of great things of the Edition XS. But I have a small head, and it is not suitable for small heads :-(

That is why I am considering the Ananda instead of the Edition XS.

OP
O

Ole_S

I have just been offered a set of Focal Bathys for €670 (used but in perfect condition)
Otherwise Sundara or Edition XS + Qudelix K5.

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
€670 for Bathys does not sound like an exceptional price to me. They were on discount on amazon.com for $650.

I am sure they are great but I would not consider them a replacement for wired passive headphones. You can not use them if they are not charged and and it is not clear at this stage whether the battery is serviceable or not. If not, they are gonna become some good looking home decoration eventually when the battery detoriates beyond usability.

I can wholeheartedly recommend the Hifiman Edition XS, similar to it's sibling Ananda but much cheaper.
Speaking purely on sound quality, I agree with you. Its just that they're the least comfortable headphones I've ever worn.

Might I suggest a pair of DCA Drop Open X? They're quite comfortable and sound good. Well, my Closed X sound nice, i assume the open X are similar. The filters that come with it are a bit fun to play around with, as well.

DAC+AMP, if it doesn't need to be portable, go with something like Schiit Magni and Modi. Cheap and extremely good. There are other great options as well.

Most dongles might be a bit short on power for Planar headphones, if you like to listen real loud. They should be fine for moderate to slightly-loud listening levels though.

If you do need portable and loud, then I would second the suggestion of Sennheiser 6XX or maybe even just the 560S. They sound great. Just about any decent dongle should be able to power these.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
  • Meze 109 pro
  • Hifiman Ananda Stealth
Tonally somewhat similar.
Ananda, just like XS, have unusually big earpads.
Meze has a bit more bass.

• AUDEZE LCD-2 CLASSIC
Sound is quite different and heavy in weight. The cups kind-of 'suck' to the head which not everyone likes. Needs EQ (lacking clarity)

Well, my Closed X sound nice, i assume the open X are similar.
They aren't.

I have just been offered a set of Focal Bathys for €670

Bathys is closed and BT and thus needs power to work. After many years the battery will need to be replaced.

Also consider DT1990 (with filter), HD560S (cheap), HD650, HD660S2, NDH-30, Sundara (has smaller pads than Ananda), FiiO FT3, OLLO S5X
These all do not sound the same but are of good quality even without EQ.

They aren't.
Good to know. I was basing myself on the fact that their published graphs are fairly similar, except for a difference in the bass. Admittedly, that would make a noticeable difference (though maybe the filters help get the sound where they want it).

I just wish the Edition XS were more comfortable. Man, what a uniquely bad headband.

Jasonovich

I have heard lots of great things of the Edition XS. But I have a small head, and it is not suitable for small heads :-(

That is why I am considering the Ananda instead of the Edition XS.
Hahaha no worries!
It fits my fat head Ok - I have all the notches up on mine. I know on AliExpress you can buy customised headbands but I accept, it's a pain. You can't go wrong with Ananda.

OP
O

Ole_S

Speaking purely on sound quality, I agree with you. Its just that they're the least comfortable headphones I've ever worn.

Might I suggest a pair of DCA Drop Open X? They're quite comfortable and sound good. Well, my Closed X sound nice, i assume the open X are similar. The filters that come with it are a bit fun to play around with, as well.

DAC+AMP, if it doesn't need to be portable, go with something like Schiit Magni and Modi. Cheap and extremely good. There are other great options as well.

Most dongles might be a bit short on power for Planar headphones, if you like to listen real loud. They should be fine for moderate to slightly-loud listening levels though.

If you do need portable and loud, then I would second the suggestion of Sennheiser 6XX or maybe even just the 560S. They sound great. Just about any decent dongle should be able to power these.
It needs to be portable (dac/amp). And have bluetooth included.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
When it needs BT you could opt for the Ananda BT or any of the well known BT/NC headphones.

XS and Meze are not wireless. Well the XS could when you use the hifiman BT receiver (I suppose that will fit)

The other wired headphones then also are no option unless you use a BT receiver like the Qudelix 5K or Fiio Q5 for instance.

Top Bottom