• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best open-back headphones < 800 USD

Ole_S

Hi Guys,

I thought it might be interesting and helpful for many users in here to have a thread on this topic, since many people buy headphones in this price range.

• HifiMan Edition XS
  • Hifiman Sundara 2020
  • Hifiman Ananda
  • Sennheiser HD650
  • Sennheiser HD660S2
  • Audeze LCD2-classic
  • Meze Audio 109 pro

You are very welcome to give reasons for your choices.

If I am missing any headphones, please let me know.
Then I will add it.

Hope you will participate :)

Thanks in advance.
Ole S

Last edited:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Do you mean the edition X or the edition XS?

OP
O

Ole_S

XS.
I will make the change.

Thank you

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Hi Guys,

I thought it might be interesting and helpful for many users in here to have a thread on this topic, since many people buy headphones in this price range.

• HifiMan Edition XS
  • Hifiman Sundara 2020
  • Hifiman Ananda
  • Sennheiser HD650
  • Sennheiser HD660S2
  • Audeze LCD2-classic
  • Meze Audio 109 pro

Then I will add it.

There is no 'best' headphone. There are many good ones even well below and above the mentioned ones.

The mentioned ones all have desirable and less desirable attributes.
Which one will suit you best depends on what aspects you value the most.
So... there will be many different recommendations by various users for all mentioned and not mentioned headphones simply because owners liked them.

Build quality
Tone without EQ
Ability to 'take' EQ
Power rating, sensitivity, amplifier/source
How loud you need it to go
Price (budget)
Availability
Comfort
Longevity/support/availability of parts (pads, headband)
Connectivity (BT, wired, connector types)
use case (studio, home, portable, outdoor, NC)

OP
O

Ole_S

There is no 'best' headphone. There are many good ones even well below and above the mentioned ones.

The mentioned ones all have desirable and less desirable attributes.
Which one will suit you best depends on what aspects you value the most.
So... there will be many different recommendations by various users for all mentioned and not mentioned headphones simply because owners liked them.

Build quality
Tone without EQ
Ability to 'take' EQ
Power rating, sensitivity, amplifier/source
How loud you need it to go
Price (budget)
Availability
Comfort
Longevity/support/availability of parts (pads, headband)
Connectivity (BT, wired, connector types)
use case (studio, home, portable, outdoor, NC)
That is why I wrote:

"You are very welcome to give reasons for your choices."

solderdude

Grand Contributor
But will this answer the question you posed:

Best open-back headphones < 800 USD​

or will you just get a bunch of reasoning (measurements) or personal experiences from users ?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I will give you a tip. If you currently own the sundara (think you do) then the only question that matters is, can any other headphone below 800 do something the sundara can't?

They will all sound different stock, with eq you could get them all to sound a lot more similar. The sundara are a great all rounder. If you find them comfortable and can get a decent seal then I'd suggest no need to upgrade /sidegrade.

bodhi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I will give you a tip. If you currently own the sundara (think you do) then the only question that matters is, can any other headphone below 800 do something the sundara can't?

+1

Sidegrading leaves a sour taste. At first, right after the purchase, you feel it made sense. Then after a while you start to wonder if you are fooling yourself. Couple more weeks and you can't be bothered switching any more and either one of the headphones goes to storage with other sidegrades. Couple more years and you have boxes full of sidegrades with combined price of one good actual upgrade. Talking about a guy I know, not myself of course.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
+1

Sidegrading leaves a sour taste. At first, right after the purchase, you feel it made sense. Then after a while you start to wonder if you are fooling yourself. Couple more weeks and you can't be bothered switching any more and either one of the headphones goes to storage with other sidegrades. Couple more years and you have boxes full of sidegrades with combined price of one good actual upgrade. Talking about a guy I know, not myself of course.
I tend to find the ones that are most comfortable end up "sounding" best. Whether thats because they get more use therefore more brain burn in or whether our brains conflate comfort with listening enjoyment or whatever, same end result- things staying in boxes/ cupboards.

OP
O

Ole_S

I have just been offered a pair of almost new Ananda for 469 EUR :facepalm:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
A newer model (cheaper as well) of the Ananda is available. That may be the reason.
The headband of the Ananda is more comfy than the XS for larger heads.

Good headphone. Not much better than Sundara but different. Very different size drivers and comfort.

OP
O

Ole_S

A newer model (cheaper as well) of the Ananda is available. That may be the reason.
The headband of the Ananda is more comfy than the XS for larger heads.

Good headphone. Not much better than Sundara but different. Very different size drivers and comfort.
Please send a link to the new version? I have not heard of that.

And how do you know that it s not the newer mode I have been offered?

ferrellms

Hi Guys,

• HifiMan Edition XS
  • Hifiman Sundara 2020
  • Hifiman Ananda
  • Sennheiser HD650
  • Sennheiser HD660S2
  • Audeze LCD2-classic
  • Meze Audio 109 pro

Then I will add it.

Hope you will participate :)

Thanks in advance.
Ole S
Shure SRH1840 have been reviewed in SOS (the pro audio engineering rag) as among the best available for monitoring (accuracy). I have only heard the HD650 of those above - to me the SRH sounds about the same, ie amazing detail and smoothness and great, but with more extended bass response. They are comfortable without a lot of weight.

OP
O

Ole_S

Shure SRH1840 have been reviewed in SOS (the pro audio engineering rag) as among the best available for monitoring (accuracy). I have only heard the HD650 of those above - to me the SRH sounds about the same, ie amazing detail and smoothness and great, but with more extended bass response. They are comfortable without a lot of weight.
Thanks for your input :)

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Please send a link to the new version? I have not heard of that.

And how do you know that it s not the newer mode I have been offered?

Shure SRH1840

bodhi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I tend to find the ones that are most comfortable end up "sounding" best. Whether thats because they get more use therefore more brain burn in or whether our brains conflate comfort with listening enjoyment or whatever, same end result- things staying in boxes/ cupboards.

I agree that the feel is major contributor. Not exactly comfort as I really think that my HD600s are the most comfortable ones, you really don't feel them on your head that much. But still my favorite feel is with the LCD-X: the weight and cool, soft leather pads immediately put you into "now we are getting serious"-state for critical listening. That is still the best headphone I have and I'm pretty sure it's not the sound.

Top Bottom