• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hifiman Ananda vs Ananda Stealth

somy

Hi,
I had my Hifiman Ananda for a few good years, while I enjoyed the wide sound stage it does lack a bit in the bass and sub-bass. The highs sometimes can also be a bit too harsh.
I'm considering to buy another pair and saw the new stealth version (looks like it's not tested here yet), reading some reviews looks like they have toned the headphone with more bass and warmth.
Has anybody compare the two and can confirm the bass is indeed better with the stealth version? I listen to all sorts of music from classical to hip-hop so would like a headphone with no obvious weakness.
Thank you!

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have both versions, and the stealth is worth the upgrade. The imaging is more accurate and the timing is smoother in the treble, no harshness or sibilance at all. Soundstage is the same, and comfy flat headband. It's the same with the Aria vs stealth where they fixed the forward upper mids in the new version also.
I have two edition XS also, which have a little more bass, but you can EQ the bass up in the Ananda stealth and not have the hard bar headband the XS has.

OP
S

somy

I have both versions, and the stealth is worth the upgrade. The imaging is more accurate and the timing is smoother in the treble, no harshness or sibilance at all. Soundstage is the same, and comfy flat headband. It's the same with the Aria vs stealth where they fixed the forward upper mids in the new version also.
I have two edition XS also, which have a little more bass, but you can EQ the bass up in the Ananda stealth and not have the hard bar headband the XS has.
Thank you sounds like a solid upgrade. I use Mojo2 to tune bass and sub-bass +1 which isn't as good as EQ but works quite well with OG ananda.

OP
S

somy

Hi again, sorry one question. I can see there are two versions of Ananda Stealth (V2 and V3), the weight is different (440g vs 396g). Most worrying thing is the spec change, looks like the sensitivity has been decreased to 93 (instead of 103 as OG Ananda and V2 version). Can I ask which version do you have (the specs are on the box)? Do you find it more difficult to drive comparing to the original Ananda? I only have Chord Mojo2 and I'm worried it's not powerful enough to drive V3. Suspect Hifiman put the Edition XS unit into Ananda V3 (similar spec), and actually the price in China also looks very suspicious: Ananda V3 listed price is lower than Edition XS.

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have the 27 ohm, 440g, 93db model. It's no different than powering the Edition XS, very similar volume levels. You should be ok with power on it with the Chord. It's just things like onboard sound or a phone that's not going to cut it. I pulled it out of the box to test an A90 Discrete amp that just came in. It's powered just fine on the DX3Pro+ on the downstairs computer, to give a comparison closer to what you've got. Mainly depends on how much headroom you currently have on volume with the original, it'll be more of a push on the new ones.

mmmdc

I have the 27 ohm, 440g, 93db model. It's no different than powering the Edition XS, very similar volume levels. You should be ok with power on it with the Chord. It's just things like onboard sound or a phone that's not going to cut it. I pulled it out of the box to test an A90 Discrete amp that just came in. It's powered just fine on the DX3Pro+ on the downstairs computer, to give a comparison closer to what you've got. Mainly depends on how much headroom you currently have on volume with the original, it'll be more of a push on the new ones.
IIRC they started putting the Edition XS driver into the Ananda, hence why the specs are the same.

OP
S

somy

IIRC they started putting the Edition XS driver into the Ananda, hence why the specs are the same.
Also my assumption but I haven't been able to find any source confirming it. Would be nice to get a view from somebody who tried both V2, V3 and XS.

redbasskeys

Also my assumption but I haven't been able to find any source confirming it. Would be nice to get a view from somebody who tried both V2, V3 and XS.
Unfortunately I haven't yet tried v2 but I have v3 and the XS and found it to sound a lot more similar to my XS than I was hoping. Based on reviews, I was hoping for it to be have a lot more treble but it's actually darker IMHO. While they basically share the same overall timbre, the XS is more sub bass and sparkle highs centric, while the v3 is definitely more midrange centric and a touch warmer in the lower mids as well. Wishing I got v2 instead but perhaps the grass is greener?

OP
S

somy

Unfortunately I haven't yet tried v2 but I have v3 and the XS and found it to sound a lot more similar to my XS than I was hoping. Based on reviews, I was hoping for it to be have a lot more treble but it's actually darker IMHO. While they basically share the same overall timbre, the XS is more sub bass and sparkle highs centric, while the v3 is definitely more midrange centric and a touch warmer in the lower mids as well. Wishing I got v2 instead but perhaps the grass is greener?
In China I find v3 is even cheaper than xs which sort of suggest that V3 is not an upgrade but most likely downgrade from V2. Just bought mine and hope it’s better than OG, will report back here

adrianlimkb

A bump from this thread again...
I can get both headphone at about d same price,and see which headphone is more suitable for me...

Coming from HD600,i would like about d same neutral signature,with a bit of upper frequency flare...
*if HD600 can be more transparent + more quality bass,then it would be quite perfect
Have tested HD650 and HD6XX,which i feel like d top-end a bit too round,without flare,so HD600 is d better headphone for me

I worry that the edition XS is a bit too round 9r tame on d upper? Or it is quite as good or better den HD600?
*Bass is not that quite important for me,good to have,but i would put the femal vocals and upper range above anything...
Or should i go for Ananda Stealth?

*Very sorry the not so precise words used and explaination

LukasW

Hi Dunring,

I am looking to buy either the Edtion XS or Ananda Stealth. The price is quite close today like 50 $. I see you said you own both, if you should pick, which one would you pick?

I appreciate any help you can provide.

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have the Ananda Stealth and it's great. The imaging is better and it's pretty neutral, but if you EQ them the bass comes out to play on tracks that have it. For gaming it doesn't get more fun. The XL was good, but A-S is an improvement.

LukasW

I have the Ananda Stealth and it's great. The imaging is better and it's pretty neutral, but if you EQ them the bass comes out to play on tracks that have it. For gaming it doesn't get more fun. The XL was good, but A-S is an improvement.
Thank you, I'm quite new to the Audiophile world. Got the Sundara but want to try something new. What kind of program do you guys use for EQ?

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
APO equalizer and the Peace front end programs are the best for EQ, won't find more useful features like the Autoeq presets and even a test to calibrate it to your personal hearing. The difference from the Sundara will be less clamp force, the Ananda is firm on large heads but not punishing tight like the Sundara. Also the soundstage will have front to back depth, on the Sundara it's just very wide. The imaging is excellent too, in games you can pinpoint sounds happening behind you, also instruments for performances.

wunderkind

I brought both back since prices were very close. Tried both within a few days and couldn't tell a difference. Feel like all in the head! LOL! In the end I picked the Ananda V3 because I prefer the headband more and returned the XS. Please note that phone cup placement and resulting sound signature varies with your head shape. There will be slight variances. Folks with long heads, round, squared jaw, pear-shaped heads, facial hair... may influence slight degree of sound variances. Oh! Glasses too!

BTW, oratory1990 has a EQ preset for the Ananda Stealth. Not sure if it's v2 or v3. You can start there and adjust to preference.

mantamasa

I brought both back since prices were very close. Tried both within a few days and couldn't tell a difference. Feel like all in the head! LOL! In the end I picked the Ananda V3 because I prefer the headband more and returned the XS. Please note that phone cup placement and resulting sound signature varies with your head shape. There will be slight variances. Folks with long heads, round, squared jaw, pear-shaped heads, facial hair... may influence slight degree of sound variances. Oh! Glasses too!

BTW, oratory1990 has a EQ preset for the Ananda Stealth. Not sure if it's v2 or v3. You can start there and adjust to preference.
oratory said that he measured 3 units , which all sounded very similar. but he didnt really mention the versions specifically

Top Bottom