• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

My first time spending more on audio. Am I doing it right?

I assume you will use this setup while working or relaxing while browsing internet on your desk? If you are, youre in the same situation like me in the past. Most of the time I dont really care about the details in the music as it serves as soothing background element while I'm working or relaxing. I dont really care about losless or 320kbps. So long it sounds reasonable. And I'm one of the few (or majority) peoples that have to really concentrate on critical listening to distinguish 320 vs losless and this is mentally tiring for me.

As for playing downloaded spotify songs with foobar, I doubt it can be done since all it has DRM. Foobar can only play non-DRM tracks. CMIIW
You are presupposing you would notice the difference in the 320mp3 vs lossless file anyways.

It's very possible on a blind test you would not. And until you do an honest blind test you will never know. I think people like to think they can, however it is more often than not unfounded and based on ego.

winsome

You are presupposing you would notice the difference in the 320mp3 vs lossless file anyways.

It's very possible on a blind test you would not. And until you do an honest blind test you will never know. I think people like to think they can, however it is more often than not unfounded and based on ego.
Yes, most likely I wont be able to distinguish the differences and I'm not ashamed to admit it

Joe Smith

Major Contributor
For vast majority of users, Spotify is just fine. I stick with them because of cost, because my wife likes it, and it is very useful for device switching as I move through the day (house...headphones...yard...car). They keep vaguely promising a premium high-res service and not delivering it. (I think they are trying to figure out what they want to charge for it since their competitors are many and they are last to the party.)

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Wait this means I need the XLR cable for my Sennheiser hd6xx right? If so which one do you recommend?
Also, what about cables connecting dac to amp?
I know asking about cables is kinda dangerous, since one of my colleagues dug separate ditches for the audio stuff while building his home.

Blue Jeans XLR or any Monoprice or Mogami Gold XLR from Modius to Midgard will do fine. Schiit also sells PYST cables that works fine too. As for 6XX XLR cables, drop.com sells them too so you can easily order from them or you can order from Sennheiser (more expensive ordering from them). I tested the 6XX with just their default cables as you can see on the photo in my previous post

Top Bottom